Announcement

Collapse

Products Posting Guidelines

PRODUCT DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST TECHNICAL QUESTIONS!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

kick trigger debate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• kick trigger debate

I need some feedback on which kind of e kick drum to buy.

Thanks,

Brett

1st: most drumpads work best with their own modules for positional sensings, pressure sensing and velocity switches. But I can imagina that this is more important for snare and tom pads than for a kick drum.

2nd: what do you want a mesh headed pad (like the Roland pads), a rubber pad (like the 'old' Yamaha or old ddrum) or a real headed pad (like Hart, ddrum). Or: can you play with a reversed bass drum beater on a trigger, like Roland offered when the Vdrums came out first.

3rd: where do you play and how loud do you play? First, this is important again for the type of surface (rubber, mesh or real head). For practicing at home I would take a mesh head or rubber, no real heads. They are always too loud, certainly for a kick. Next the volume of playing is important for the bass drum spurs. If you are a hard-hitter then it is very important that the drum pads has huge spurs (legs) with a spike (if you play at home put a carpet under the spikes, otherwise the parquet floor will be damaged).

4th: what amount of money can you afford?

As you see: no advice like buy this one but some points to consider. There are many choices for many voices.
    Robert

Comment

One suggestion (cheap!) is to pick up a Pintech K3 (about $32 shipped from zzounds). It's like the Roland inverted beater kick trigger at about 1/4 the price. Works fine for me so far, not a drastically different feel from my KD80. Plus it has a wide trigger zone, so you can use a double-beater pedal on it. Or even Y it in with another kick using separate pedals for double bass.

For about $30, it's almost a no-brainer to try out. $^)

Comment

Originally posted by puttenvr:
        As you see: no advice like buy this one but ...
        Buy the Roland KD-120. Works for me!

-------
        -~

Comment

Keep in mind the type beater you are going to use. If you are used to playing with a wood or plastic beater on the acoustic bass, you might want to go with a felt beater for the e-kick.

Wood or Plastic beaters will require head reinforcement similar to an acoustic kick.

Personally I prefer the Hartdynamics kick, but its could run from $195 to $300, depends where you look.

------------------
          szvook
          Studio

Comment

Originally posted by Marc.:
            Buy the Roland KD-120. Works for me!

If it works for Marc. it works for everybody
            Robert

Comment

Originally posted by puttenvr:

If it works for Marc. it works for everybody
              End of debate. thank you Harold.

-----
              -~

Comment

I use a Pintech, Concertcast kick and I love it.
                Drumkat Turbo 4.5, Emulator X3, Superior 2.1, Roland Fantom XR, DTXtreme III, SPD-20 etc.......

Comment

2 - KD-7's. Gotta luv 'um!! Simple, cheap, reliable, instant back-up, easy to position, small size, chainable, and I luv people who ask - "Where's the bass drum?"

[This message has been edited by TomLandin (edited March 21, 2001).]
                  Driving a great song is better than driving a great car!!

http://mysite.verizon.net/landin82/

Comment

[QUOTE]Originally posted by TomLandin:
                    [B]2 - KD-7's. Gotta luv 'um!! Simple, cheap, reliable, instant back-up, easy to position, small size, chainable, and I luv people who ask - "Where's the bass drum?"

I got the same thing tom,But,I have got 2 hart kicks on order,so,I got 2 kd-7's for sale reeeeeeeeealy soon.

If anyones interested,let me know.
                    bad karma

Comment

I use a Pintech, Concertcast kick and I love it.

Ditto.

Sam

Comment

Ditto on the Pintech ConcertCast Kick - plays as well as the KD-80 and it's only about $170. It's also very quiet.

Mike

Comment

I have 4 KD-7s.

BINARY

Comment

Working...
                          X