Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

kick trigger debate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• kick trigger debate

I need some feedback on which kind of e kick drum to buy.

Thanks,

Brett

1st: most drumpads work best with their own modules for positional sensings, pressure sensing and velocity switches. But I can imagina that this is more important for snare and tom pads than for a kick drum.

2nd: what do you want a mesh headed pad (like the Roland pads), a rubber pad (like the 'old' Yamaha or old ddrum) or a real headed pad (like Hart, ddrum). Or: can you play with a reversed bass drum beater on a trigger, like Roland offered when the Vdrums came out first.

3rd: where do you play and how loud do you play? First, this is important again for the type of surface (rubber, mesh or real head). For practicing at home I would take a mesh head or rubber, no real heads. They are always too loud, certainly for a kick. Next the volume of playing is important for the bass drum spurs. If you are a hard-hitter then it is very important that the drum pads has huge spurs (legs) with a spike (if you play at home put a carpet under the spikes, otherwise the parquet floor will be damaged).

4th: what amount of money can you afford?

As you see: no advice like buy this one but some points to consider. There are many choices for many voices.
    Robert

Comment

One suggestion (cheap!) is to pick up a Pintech K3 (about $32 shipped from zzounds). It's like the Roland inverted beater kick trigger at about 1/4 the price. Works fine for me so far, not a drastically different feel from my KD80. Plus it has a wide trigger zone, so you can use a double-beater pedal on it. Or even Y it in with another kick using separate pedals for double bass.

For about $30, it's almost a no-brainer to try out. $^)

Comment

Originally posted by puttenvr:
        As you see: no advice like buy this one but ...
        Buy the Roland KD-120. Works for me!

-------
        -~

Comment

Keep in mind the type beater you are going to use. If you are used to playing with a wood or plastic beater on the acoustic bass, you might want to go with a felt beater for the e-kick.

Wood or Plastic beaters will require head reinforcement similar to an acoustic kick.

Personally I prefer the Hartdynamics kick, but its could run from $195 to $300, depends where you look.

------------------
          szvook
          Studio

Comment

Originally posted by Marc.:
            Buy the Roland KD-120. Works for me!

If it works for Marc. it works for everybody
            Robert

Comment

Originally posted by puttenvr:

If it works for Marc. it works for everybody
              End of debate. thank you Harold.

-----
              -~

Comment

I use a Pintech, Concertcast kick and I love it.
                Drumkat Turbo 4.5, Emulator X3, Superior 2.1, Roland Fantom XR, DTXtreme III, SPD-20 etc.......

Comment

2 - KD-7's. Gotta luv 'um!! Simple, cheap, reliable, instant back-up, easy to position, small size, chainable, and I luv people who ask - "Where's the bass drum?"

[This message has been edited by TomLandin (edited March 21, 2001).]
                  Driving a great song is better than driving a great car!!

http://mysite.verizon.net/landin82/

Comment

[QUOTE]Originally posted by TomLandin:
                    [B]2 - KD-7's. Gotta luv 'um!! Simple, cheap, reliable, instant back-up, easy to position, small size, chainable, and I luv people who ask - "Where's the bass drum?"

I got the same thing tom,But,I have got 2 hart kicks on order,so,I got 2 kd-7's for sale reeeeeeeeealy soon.

If anyones interested,let me know.
                    bad karma

Comment

I use a Pintech, Concertcast kick and I love it.

Ditto.

Sam

Comment

Ditto on the Pintech ConcertCast Kick - plays as well as the KD-80 and it's only about $170. It's also very quiet.

Mike

Comment

I have 4 KD-7s.

BINARY

Comment

Working...
                          X