Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

felt or plastic beater with roland kick drum kd-9?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• felt or plastic beater with roland kick drum kd-9?

HI,

Looking for opinions on felt vs plastic beater from single pedal.i used plastic side from beater and has made dent(kd-9). what is better for protection?

thank's
    Facebook:https://www.facebook.com/sakis.rudiments?ref=tn_tnmn

Man.... I would used Plastic beater with a bass drum patch. I have always used it and so far.... So good...

Pim
    Roland TD50, Roland PM30 and KC 550 Studio Capture /Dell XPS I7 32GB RAM Reaper,Superior Drummer,BFD3 (all exp. packs),SSD5 Ezdrummer 2, XLN Addictive Drums

Comment

Felt is known to tear apart mesh and some report the same with KD-9 fabric. For the best protection, use plastic and a kick patch.
      ATV aDrums & aD5, Pearl Mimic Pro & DIY, eDRUMin 10, Agean R-series Silent Cymbals, Roland Handsonic HPD-20.

Comment

Buy a Remo Falam Slam patch and then use whatever beater you want. Been using one on my A to E kit for several years now with no problems.
        Roland TD-12 Ludwig A2E 5pc kit, VH-11
        Studio Drummer, Abbey Road 60's 70's 80's, AD2, SSD4, SD3
        Komplete Audio 6, JBL Eon 515XT, Mackie FX12, DAW Studio One 3

Comment

What he said^ 😉

Comment

I have been using a felt beater for a while - you should see the state of the inside of the KD9 from using it! How it still triggers is beyond me. Gave it a good clean out, and now Im on a plastic beater. Won't use felt again!
            TD9-KX2, VEX Masters 50, Toolbox, Naturals & Acustix. Many many Guitars, Bass Guitars & Mics, and a very understanding Wife!
            MacBook Pro 2.8ghz Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM. Line 6 UX8.

Comment

I commented on this before. My felt hammers were digging holes in my rubber KD8 so I wrapped the heads in plastic adhesive insulation tape. Been fine for years now.

Comment

sorry for bad english...
                thank's for responses!!!but of the foam the center it's has subsided!!!What to do?now Im on a plastic beater.i put a kick patch(falam)?remo or gibraltar?

Comment

i bought a kick patch gibraltar ,what side i use(felt or plastic side???

the plastic side it's very noisily ((( ... the felt side it's save with this patch?
                  You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                  This gallery has 2 photos.

Comment

As I stated, With a patch you can use ANY side of the beater. I would advise you that the Gibraltar patch you purchased wont stay stuck for too long before it starts coming off, thats why I recommended the " Remo Falam slam " I have had the same one one my mesh DIY kick drum for over 6-7 years now with no problems.
                    Roland TD-12 Ludwig A2E 5pc kit, VH-11
                    Studio Drummer, Abbey Road 60's 70's 80's, AD2, SSD4, SD3
                    Komplete Audio 6, JBL Eon 515XT, Mackie FX12, DAW Studio One 3

Comment

Falam Slam is what I use too, but I also like the Aquarian patches - extra thin and regular both work well for me.
                      Last edited by bud7h4; 03-01-15, 09:42 AM.
                      TD-30 module, PDP A2E (22, 16, 14, 12, 10), Quartz triggers,
                      VH11 hi-hat, PD125 (snare), Roland cymbals, Peavey KB4 monitor, Audio-Technica ATH-M50
                      Axis A21 Sabres, Axis A Longboards

Comment

Grohl and Everyone,

To handle wear problems with the KD-9, I created a user replaceable head that fits and plays like it was built as part of the unit. The result protects the KD-9 surface, reduces noise, provides even better feel, and provides a user replaceable head. I wanted to use a felt beater, which is what I do now without problem. The thread (below) isn't mine, but my solution is posted near the end. Look for TangTheHump and you'll see it.

My KD-9 is Falling Apart
                        http://www.vdrums.com/forum/general/...-falling-apart

Comment

what size Remo Falam Slam patch should I get for my Roland KD-9?
                          2.5 inch or 4 inch?
                          http://www.ebay.com/itm/Remo-Falam-S...item1e9a6b092a

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Remo-Bass-Dr...item418fdf565f

Comment

Chasmanian,

If you go the Remo Falam Slam Patch route, either size (2.5 or 4 inch) will work. Myself, I'd be tempted to go with the 4 inch size because there's more surface area and thus more glue attaching the patch to the KD-9's surface. Plus, the larger surface area allows double pedal use and greater placement variance with a single pedal. Another option for double pedal use is two 2.5 inch patches. The KD-9 is about 5.5 inches across its surface so single 2.5, single 4, and double 2.5 configurations all work. If you're using a double pedal with two of Roland's beaters, there's plenty of room on the 4 inch patch. With 3rd party beaters (which are typically larger than Roland beaters), you may be a bit cramped for space with two on the 4 inch patch so the double 2.5 is a better choice for that situation. Measure the size and spacing of your beaters before making a decision. For single pedal use, while I prefer the 4 inch patch, the 2.5 works fine, also.
                            Last edited by TangTheHump; 02-28-15, 06:51 PM.

Comment

you so rock brother.
                              thank you very much for your excellent generous reply.
                              I have only a single pedal.
                              but based on what you said. I am definitely ordering the 4 inch.

Comment

Working...
                              X