Announcement

Collapse

Products Posting Guidelines

PRODUCT DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST TECHNICAL QUESTIONS!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

Hi-hats through distortion pedals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi-hats through distortion pedals

What if a distortion pedal like the-Guyatone MM-X was used as bridge.

TD's hi-hat output into a distortion pedal and out into the hi-hat it self.

For experimental sound effects....?

Maybe for really nasty hi-hats, stuff like that.

------------------
    szvook
    Studio

I don't understand this. In general effects can be connected before or after a sound source. Just like guitar players do.

But why should you put the pedal on the hi-hat input? You can affect the working of the mechanism
    Robert

Comment

Originally posted by puttenvr:
      "But why should you put the pedal on the hi-hat input? You can affect the working of the mechanism"[/B]

Just to see if any additional harmonics can be brought out though applying light distortion.

You are referring to the pedals mechanism?

------------------
      szvook
      Studio

Comment

Originally posted by szvook:
        You are referring to the pedals mechanism?
        Yeah, and I don't think you would put in effects there. Perhaps I misunderstoud out into the hi-hat it self.
        Robert

Comment

Signal processors work on audio information, not trigger signals, so there would be no effect at all. What I think could happen is the trigger signal would be interrupted, maybe at random, maybe completely. I wouldn't try it myself.
          Your best bet on using a distortion pedal is either the send/returns or the channel inserts on your mixer. Assign the Hihat to one of the individual outs, and put some fuzz that sucker!
          Sounds quite nice, BTW, I use it one Snare, Kick and Hats very often. When sparsely used it adds a lot of punch to the sounds, and when you turn the unit up, better wear your earplugs, cause that snare is gonna scream!
          "Fry that sound effect, Moriarty, we're having it for breakfast"

Comment

(Maybe should be under Wishlist)

I have always thought Roland should have included Distortion as one of their effects.

DJourg

Comment

Q: “You're not one of those people who thinks the pads are generating the sound of the drums, are you? Dude, that's what this reads like to me....” – HELL NO! This is mostly an edrum forum, isn’t it?

Sorry about that! It’s been a long day.

Basically I played an acoustic set at my friend’s studio and he had a couple of distortion pedals set up for the hi-hat. It sounded very cool. The response was nasty like and wicked.
              We than ran the signal into a compressor and I was in distortion heaven!

So I wanted to see if there is a way to slap a pedal in the rig and use it some how with hi-hat signal. I guess I got caught up in the acoustics’ and carried the mentality to the edrums, I wasn’t think right, plus we started the play around with the acoustic set at exactly 4:20.

Q: ” Distorting the trigger signal will only give crappy triggering (which ain't cool), that's all, cuz' that's exactly what retrigger cancelling attempts to fix” - That is what I was trying to block out and thinking that there is way to avoid that exact response from the trigger. Thank you feefer for setting me strait!!!

Q: “Your best bet on using a distortion pedal is either the send/returns or the channel inserts on your mixer. Assign the Hihat to one of the individual outs, and put some fuzz that sucker!” - Yeah I think I will do that and see how it goes. I am getting the pedal next month. I have the sends/returns for the hi-hat running though my Lexicon MPX1 and I get very good effects, but I also want to try to have some distortion controlled by a pedal.

Q: “I have always thought Roland should have included Distortion as one of their effects.” - Yeah that would be nice, but with the way their effects are now and how they respond in a LIVE situation, I would be hesitant in using them than.
              One more issue for Roland to chew, maybe.

Lads - thank you for the honesty

------------------
              szvook

[This message has been edited by szvook (edited March 17, 2001).]
              Studio

Comment

Working...
              X