Announcement

Collapse

Products Posting Guidelines

PRODUCT DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST TECHNICAL QUESTIONS!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

v-drums thru home stereo?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• v-drums thru home stereo?!

Is it ok to run the v-drums thru my stereo
    (for playing along to cd's etc.) or will
    my cerwin vega speakers go "BLINK"?

Well it depends on the volume you play at and the quality of the speakers. Most home units are not designed for the raw sound from a drum set. I wasted a very nice and expensive set of speakers this way.... THey would hit extremely hard with a CD in, but as soon as I played the edrums through them they fried.

I would consider headphones or purchasing a small PA...

Erik

Comment

I play mine through a 70 watt stereo which should not be powerful enough to blow the 300 watt speakers ??

So far so good...

Comment

I am by no means an audio expert, but I've been warned not to play my V's (or any electronic instrument) through a stereo system. According to a musician I once knew, instruments have modulation 'spikes' that are not present on pre-recorded sources such as CDs or tapes. Stereo speakers don't have the elasticity (or something) to handle those big spikes (such as a big kick/crash hit)and can blow your speaker.

Maybe others on this site can comment on whether this is true, but it makes sense and I would not proceed until you hear from the wise ones.

DJourg

Comment

yea...what he said...

Comment

Originally posted by UMCP_matt:
            I play mine through a 70 watt stereo which should not be powerful enough to blow the 300 watt speakers ??

So far so good...
            A logical conclusion. I have a similar layout. Feefer makes good points too (as always) about matching up the vdrum and music source (i.e. cd/tape/radio) volumes. This I do on the drum brain itself.

After about a year ... so far so good.

~~~~~

Comment

I'm sure if you don't turn the volume up to high you will be fine. I play mine through a small boom box that I bought for $79.00. Beleive it or not, I use it for jamming with friends on occasion. I never had a problem, but I keep the volume at a medium to low level.

Just my .02

Comment

Originally posted by Bkat:
                I play mine through a small boom box that I bought for $79.00.
                Far out! Who would have thought? I got a boom-box layin' around somewhere. I just gotta give that spin. *****in!

I'm there,
                -~

Comment

As of the time of this post, I've just completed playing to a practice tape of some songs I'm learning for a country band I have on the side, so it seems like a good time for a reply to this thread. I use a TD-8, and it has a "mix-in" jack that lets you connect an outside source (stereo, boom box, etc.)to it, and the music from it will be mixed with your V-drum sounds so that you can play along if you so desire. All I did was plug a stereo cable from my CD player headphone jack to the TD-8 Mix In jack, and plugged a set of stereo headphones (AKG K270s) into the TD-8's headphone jack. I have complete control over the mix and ratio of V-drum volume to music volume using the proper combination of the CD player's headphone volume knob and the TD-8's Mix In, Phones, and Master volume knobs. The nice, focused stereo sound is cool, and a good set of sealed headphones like the K270s keeps all the outside noise out. Works for me, anyway.....

[This message has been edited by Mick Wade (edited February 25, 2001).]
                  TD-30 / SPD-SX

Comment

Yup, connecting a CD to the 'Mix In' jack works great for playing along. I usually do this with headphones, butsometimes through the monitor when I want to make *noise*. But, using the headphones, only the Phones and Mix In knobs (along with the cd player volume control) affect the headphone volume. The Master knob has no effect on headphone output level.

Comment

Hi

When I play my Vdrums at home I play thru my stereo. I connect the Td-10 to my tape recorder, set to "rec". That way I can adjust the incoming peak level before sending the signal to the amp. It has worked fine so far.

Vandal

Comment

Originally posted by vandal:
                        ...I can adjust the incoming peak level before sending the signal to the amp.
                        EQ w/frequency spectrum does this for me.

Comment

Working...
                        X