Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

TD30 Positional Sensing on Diamond Drums?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TD30 Positional Sensing on Diamond Drums?

Hello!

Could someone who owns a TD30 and a Diamond Drums snare/toms comment on how well the positional sensing works compared to the roland pads for example?

Thankyou!
    TD9-KX2, VEX Masters 50, Toolbox, Naturals & Acustix. Many many Guitars, Bass Guitars & Mics, and a very understanding Wife!
    MacBook Pro 2.8ghz Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM. Line 6 UX8.

I don't have a TD30 but I do have 12" Diamond snare with 2-ply drum-tec pro on it, flat cylinder cone type.

I can give you raw data logs from positional sensing, which is actually more useful tbh, because it shows the performance of the drum, not the module, or the VST, etc.

But the logs would be illegible to most people (heck, I can't understand raw MIDI data either - I don't want to!) so all I can stay is... at the most consistent hitting I can muster; I can make the PS shuttle move smoothly from center to edge without any "position jumping" if that's what your looking for.

I have it calibrated so that Pos High peaks about 1" from the edge and Pos Low peaks 2" from the piezo. So this gives me about 3" of variable playing area. Just right for me, as I hit 2" away from the piezo naturally. Moving my elbow forward starts giving me "the edge".
    ◾ Diamond Drums 4pc in Di-Noc carbon ◾ MegaDRUM
    ◾ Roland UA-1010 / cymbals / KT-10 (x2) ◾ Tama / Gibraltar hardware ◾ JBL LSR3 Series 2.1 Monitoring ◾ Pearl THMP-1
    PA Comparison Sheet

Comment

Centre-mount-piezo + mesh head + correct polarity + no other damping = Roland position sensing capable. How it performs is then how you dial it in with the module trigger parameters. I've not tried a Diamond/TD30 in person but it can't be any worse than the factory-setting PD128S/TD30 default performance, which is godawful! ;-)

Comment

Working...
      X