Announcement

Collapse

Products Posting Guidelines

PRODUCT DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST TECHNICAL QUESTIONS!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

ddrum rack?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ddrum rack?

Greetings guys,

First time poster here. Great forum.

I'm going to be picking up a V soon but would like to check out alternative rack mounting solutions.

I was a ddrum system one owner, but have parted ways with that kit since. Great module, loud pads, ****e for a rack.

I read the review of the gibraltar rack on this site, and it sounds promising. However, the gibraltar road rack looks a lot like the ddrum system one rack that I loathed. The clamps sucked on that thing.

Does anyone know if the Gibraltar road rack is the same as the ddrum system one rack? If it is, that's dissapointing.

It seems like Gibraltar and Pearl have cornered the rack market. Even though I'm not considering the new Yamaha, it is certainly aesthetically pleasing. Even its rack looks sweet.

Any suggestions?

BTW, what ever happened to DW racks?

Cheers,

JHH

I play a DW Collectors kit on a Gibralter rack and have for five years. I love the Gibralter racks and all of their products, you would not be dissapointed. It is very heavy duty. I have never heard of a DW rack...
    Roland V-Pro TD20 expanded with V Expressions
    Presonus Firepod
    Reaper
    Acoustic- Spaun drums, Dunnett snare & Paiste Signature Series Cymbals.

Comment

The ddrum rack is not the Gibraltar rack.

Strange that you had problems with the clamps on the ddrum rack. I never heard this. Same for the loud pads. The ddrum pads are the most silent pads on earth. Okay, the Roland Vpads with their mesh heads are more silent, but is this a reason to change drumkits?
      Robert

Comment

reply to puttenvr,

I didn't think the ddrum pads were that bad either... that was until my neighbor and my girlfriend started complaining. At that point I became paranoid about making too much noise. If I can't play an e-kit without worrying about pad noise, it's worthless to me.

For me, the ddrum system one had all of the drawbacks of a acoustic kit and none of the benefits. The whole reason I purchased one was so that I could play at home. I thought that sample quality would be the most important feature... but now I think that pad noise is equally if not more important.

And let's get real. Those ddrum pads are at least as loud as remo practice pads; the ddrum cymbal pads are even worse.

Hey, I've moved around a bunch in the last couple of years and the last thing that I want to worry about is pissing off a new neighbor when I want to play.

Thanks for your opinion.

------------------
        Cheers,

JHH
        Cheers,

JHH

Comment

Okay, understand your problem.

Regarding practicing at home: I sometimes feel guilty that I once played my acoustic drums in an appartement while the neighbours where 70 years old or so.
          Robert

Comment

Originally posted by puttenvr:
            I sometimes feel guilty that I once played my acoustic drums in an appartement while the neighbours where 70 years old or so.
            Have you no shame!

When I was 15 I lived in a huge house. With windows wide open, I would crank up the stereo and drums until the neighbors started yelling out their windows for me to pipe down. Finally they started calling my parents and the police. Drums soon became restricted to the basement with headphones, no stereo and limited hours. The good old days!
            Kit Pic 1 Kit Pic 2 Kit Pic 3... And FOR SALE I have: 3 PD-9's, MDS-10 purple rack w/cables/pad and cym mounts. See classified posts for details or PM me.

Comment

DW had a rack a while back >5 years ago named collarlock. Don't think they're around anymore.

I noticed that there is a drum brand called collarlock these days. Funny, when I think of collarlock I don't think of drumkits; I think of pet accesories or necktie theft prevention equipment.

Some drum companies have great marketing, some don't.
              Cheers,

JHH

Comment

Collarlock rack system was an independent Canadian hardware company untill DW bought them. Now the hardware line seems to be discontinued (perfect universal hardware but too expensive) but DW still seems to use the name collarlock for their budget (ha ha: DW and budget) drum kit series.
                Robert

Comment

Check these racks out...
                  http://www.carbonlite.com

Comment

Those carbonlite racks look pretty sweet. Is there anybody out there who knows about the quality of these racks?

The price is a little bit higher than gibraltar, but there's something so phat about carbon fiber.

Does anyone know what roland and non-roland components work well for mounting v-drums?
                    Cheers,

JHH

Comment

I settled on the Hartdynamics rack. The rack is made of polished stainless steel tubing with a lightly brushed finish. The brushed finish eliminates the need for memory locks because the clamps won't slip (after about 4 months on the road, on 3 occasions, they have stood up to the test). Clamps are cast metal.

Nothing on my rack moves or slips at all, under any condition so far.

The only thing I wish that Hartdynamics would have, are the curved rack arms, they stopped making those before I got my set. They might start to make them again.

I have not had the chance to find out about the other name brands out there, but for me the Hart rack works perfectly. Did not have the need to dampen the rack because of the vibration problems, which seems to be a factor for some people on this site. Only a little threshold tweak is all it took to never touch it again.

------------------
                      szvook
                      Studio

Comment

On the earlier note: the home (studio) the excess noise from the pads and the neighbors.

I feel for you!! A home is a home first, so people in it and around it (neighbors) are not the ideal place. There are no ways to play quiet even at home, no pads or hats or cymbals will be as quite as you want; unless you want to play with brushes, that seems to be one way to still use your Rolandís and keep your neighbors at bay.

Thatís why I HAD to get a studio with my band.

------------------
                        szvook
                        Studio

Comment

I live in a 'end house' (is this the right word?) so I only have one neighbour living direct against the side of our house.
                          I ussually dont play before say like 11 am and I don't play after 7.30 pm. That is playing acoustic drums Once the neighbour woman started talking to me about the drumming, so I thought she would be kinda angry or so. The only thing she said was; well you're making progress in playing drums!
                          Music was my first love...

Comment

Working...
                          X