Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Roland TD-11K hi-hat pedal not working (damaged FD-8 or sound module?)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roland TD-11K hi-hat pedal not working (damaged FD-8 or sound module?)

Hello everyone! How are you? I need help with a little problem... while kicking the FD-8 pedal my drum kit does not produces any sound. It is working fine when I hit the hi-hat with the drum sticks, but it always make an open hi-hat sound even if I am pushing the FD-8 pedal really hard.

I did a quick test to check what could be wrong with my FD-8 and I think it could be either the cable or the sound module.
    When I unplug the Hi-hat cable and touch the jack, it does not make a single sound. So I tried doing the same with the other cables and all of them reproduces the kit sound when I remove them and touch the sensor.
    Does the hi-hat cable behaves differently from all others? That is, is it normal that it is not making a sound when touching the jack plug sensor?

If anyone owns a TD-11K I'd really appreciate if you could run this test for me. Just remove the jack from the FD-8 pedal and touch it to see if you hear any sound.

Thank you!

I just deleted 3 identical threads you started on the same topic!!!!! just one thread, OK?
    I could tell you where to stick that piezo! ;)
    Stealthdrums.com Mega Kit: Pearl Mimic Pro ,2Box modules,drums and cymbals too many to count. VST quality sounds directly from the Mimic and custom sounds loaded into and played directly from the 2Box modules. Visit me anytime at: http://stealthdrums.com/

Comment

Thanks! I tried deleting myself but didn't find the option... I was receiving an error message, it wasn't intentional

Comment

Originally posted by pedroqg View Post
        Thanks! I tried deleting myself but didn't find the option... I was receiving an error message, it wasn't intentional
        No problem, and welcome to the forum. In answer to your question: It is normal to hear no sound when you touch the end of the HH Cntrl cable. It is a unique input for determining continual open to closed transitions. Here is a link to a similar situation. It was with a TD-4, but the process of elimination is the same ....
        http://www.vdrums.com/forum/advanced...t-hihat-faulty
        I could tell you where to stick that piezo! ;)
        Stealthdrums.com Mega Kit: Pearl Mimic Pro ,2Box modules,drums and cymbals too many to count. VST quality sounds directly from the Mimic and custom sounds loaded into and played directly from the 2Box modules. Visit me anytime at: http://stealthdrums.com/

Comment

You might be able to connect the HHC plug into another cymbal to see if it will trigger the HH chick sound. Not sure if it actually will but easy to try. If it works it's not the module or cord. You can also try a factory reset. Perhaps your volume or HH controller settings are awry.
          ATV aDrums & aD5, Pearl Mimic Pro & DIY, eDRUMin 10, Agean R-series Silent Cymbals, Roland Handsonic HPD-20.

Comment

Quick follow up: I went to a local dealer with my FD-8 pedal and also the sound module. Connecting my pedal to the store's module, no sound of closed hi-hat. Connecting my module to the store's pedal, worked fine.
            Therefore, it must be a damaged pedal.

But I will also do a factory reset just in case. Thanks for your help!

Comment

Based on your last post, must be the pedal. When you say "closed hi-hat", do you mean it won't trigger the HH "chick" sound, or will it not control open/closed? Those are two separate functions of the FD8. I'm guessing for now it's the open/closed (whereas i thought it might have been the "chick" above).

So, if it's the open/closed, you can search the site; there are lots of threads on how to fix it. I've done two of them, and it's pretty simple. For a quick/short-term fix, you can lube the rubber actuatoer with Vaseline (not as fun as it sounds) let it sit overnight and put it back together. You can also get the part from Roland for a permanent solution. It seems the rubber actuator is more of a wear item (but shouldn't be).
              Check out this vid:
              https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5XOlr-0vqw

Others can be found on YouTube.

Good luck.
              ATV aDrums & aD5, Pearl Mimic Pro & DIY, eDRUMin 10, Agean R-series Silent Cymbals, Roland Handsonic HPD-20.

Comment

Here's the number to contact Roland for parts:
                http://www.rolandus.com/company/contact_us
                Customer Support

To order parts, literature, or for repair issues, please contact Customer Support at (323) 890-3740. Customer Support is open Monday through Friday, 8:30am to 5:00pm Pacific Time.

One very nice feature of Roland Support is they usually have a good stock of parts and get them to you pretty quickly. If they're not in stock, they do a pretty good job of getting them from Japan and keeping you informed.

Comment

Working...
                X