Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Could a TD-30 owner please answer some Q's?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Could a TD-30 owner please answer some Q's?

Afternoon All!

Ok, So it seems I have just been treated to a TD30 module by the lovely Wife. It won't be here for a week yet, So I need to do some research. I'm hoping, that is where some of you lovely people come in.

Ok, I currently Have a TD9 KX - Just so you know what I'm starting with. That includes:

VH-11
    3x PD 85
    1x PD 105.
    1x CY-12
    1x CY-13

First question is this: Do the PD 85's and the PD 105 support positional sensoring?

My second question: Did any of you buy the TD30 as module only? If so, Does it come with the drum cables, Or will I need to buy those seperately? Also, Does the mount come with the module? If not will my TD9 mount work for it?

Ok, those are all my questions for the minute

If any of you can help, that would be awesome! Now to try and get all my VEX kits working on a TD30

TD9-KX2, VEX Masters 50, Toolbox, Naturals & Acustix. Many many Guitars, Bass Guitars & Mics, and a very understanding Wife!
    MacBook Pro 2.8ghz Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM. Line 6 UX8.

Originally posted by simmo0916 View Post
    First question is this: Do the PD 85's and the PD 105 support positional sensoring?
    Yes - just make sure you use the 'A' pad type instead of the 'B'. ('B' settings do away with the PS element for simpler, faster triggering).

My second question: Did any of you buy the TD30 as module only? If so, Does it come with the drum cables, Or will I need to buy those seperately?
    No, it only comes with the power cable. If you buy the pads separately, the cables come with the pads. Separate cables are readily available from a variety of sources - Amazon and Ebay most easily. (However, if you're in the UK, please feel free to message me, I still have some cheap cable stock available).

Does the mount come with the module? If not will my TD9 mount work for it?
    Not included, again available separately, Amazon/Ebay/elsewhere, the official Roland ones are a shocking price but the Alesis ones and any generic model also fits. The TD9 one is too small unfortunately... A quick search has yielded Ebay item # 191409755798

Comment

flurbs - Thanks for the reply. Coming from a TD9 module, this is going to be a steep learning curve and a lot of Fun. To be honest - I never really played with the TD9 module that much, I just VEX'ed it on day one and just play!
      Got a lot to learn!

I am in the UK - I will message you shortly! Obviously all my cables are part of the TD9 Loom, so I need new cables for everything
      TD9-KX2, VEX Masters 50, Toolbox, Naturals & Acustix. Many many Guitars, Bass Guitars & Mics, and a very understanding Wife!

Comment

Drum-tec sells Transparent Stereo Trigger Cables like those that come with the TD-30 and also Standard Black Cables if you don't want to spend that kind of money.
        ◾ Diamond Drums 4pc in Di-Noc carbon ◾ MegaDRUM
        ◾ Roland UA-1010 / cymbals / KT-10 (x2) ◾ Tama / Gibraltar hardware ◾ JBL LSR3 Series 2.1 Monitoring ◾ Pearl THMP-1
        PA Comparison Sheet

Comment

simmo0916 wrote:
          Coming from a TD9 module, this is going to be a steep learning curve and a lot of Fun. To be honest - I never really played with the TD9 module that much, I just VEX'ed it on day one and just play!
          To get the best results from a TD-30 (or any Roland module), one must learn how the module works and set it up from scratch. Add-on packs don't fix the fundamental problem in the TD-30, which is that the module's default trigger and mixer settings are out to lunch. One needs to adjust these settings for their own touch (nobody can do that for you) and work from that starting point. As I've noted in other posts, turning off all the effects (compressors, multi-effects, and ambiance sections) and flattening the EQ sections is another critical starting point. If you want the TD-30 to sound the best it can and you want your own personality in the sounds, there is no way around learning how to do this yourself. The payoff is huge. And, once you've learned the various sections of the TD-30, you'll find it's really not that daunting. Indeed, brewing your own sounds is reasonably simple, fun, and rewarding. Consider (also) that most people don't need dozens upon dozens of kits. You'll likely brew one or two kits, and tweak these over time.

Side note 1: Read the TD-30 manual cover-to-cover! Contrary to what one often sees posted, Roland manuals are clear and very complete. Therefore, make reading the manual one of your priorities. Go through each chapter and test out things in real time as you learn. In my opinion, this is the best way to learn how to get the best sounds and playability from the TD-30. You'll discover things you hadn't thought of and these provide motivation for experimenting.

Side note 2: Here's some advice re sculpting sounds. Less is often more. In other words, excepting some pop music, drums generally aren't tricked out with tons of EQ, reverb, phasing effects, compressors, and other studio effects. Those attributes, if present, are created specifically for a given song. Therefore, keep your sounds as dry and neutral as possible. For example, when adjusting EQ, start by setting all adjustments flat so there is no EQ. Listen to what the given drum sounds like. If it sounds fine, don't do anything. If tailoring is required, add small amounts of EQ to see what happens. Don't be afraid to set the EQ back to flat and compare.
          Last edited by TangTheHump; 02-12-15, 02:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by TangTheHump View Post

To get the best results from a TD-30 (or any Roland module), one must learn how the module works and set it up from scratch. Add-on packs don't fix the fundamental problem in the TD-30, which is that the module's default trigger and mixer settings are out to lunch. One needs to adjust these settings for their own touch (nobody can do that for you) and work from that starting point. As I've noted in other posts, turning off all the effects (compressors, multi-effects, and ambiance sections) and flattening the EQ sections is another critical starting point. If you want the TD-30 to sound the best it can and you want your own personality in the sounds, there is no way around learning how to do this yourself. The payoff is huge. And, once you've learned the various sections of the TD-30, you'll find it's really not that daunting. Indeed, brewing your own sounds is reasonably simple, fun, and rewarding.
            Tommy_D has an excellent set-up guide if you can find it with search. It helps explain what some of the settings do that the manual may not cover quite so well.
            Roland TD30 module, DW performance series set with UFO triggers. ATV ride and Hats; translucent blue Pintech Visulite cymbals, Gibraltar Rack, DW9000 pedal, DW9120M, Sony MDR-7506 headphones, Yamaha DSR112 monitors.

Comment

http://www.vdrums.com/forum/advanced...ngs-discussion

Comment

Many thanks for the link tivi! I was just waiting to be told to UTFSE!

Comment

Would anyone know if the Module comes with the screws to mount it? I have the mount but no screws... Anyone?

Comment

simmo0916,

My module came with my kit and the mount and screws were included. I don't know if the standalone module includes the screws. Sorry, that's not a great answer. One suggestion though, don't put just any screws in there. Make sure they are the bolts with the proper length and thickness for the sockets on the bottom of the TD-30. Call Roland and ask the spec, or take the module with you and go to a professional fasteners outlet. Hardware stores typically don't stock a wide enough range, but a professional fasteners outlet will have thousands upon thousands of specialty screws and bolts.

Comment

screws came with stand-alone module i bought one from RMC Audio [very good price, call and ask for Erik]

Comment

I already bought mine - Good to know the screws come with it! Thank you.

Comment

Please correct me if I'm wrong. In order to benefit from the supernatural aspect of the 30 you would need to upgrade to newer drum/cymbal triggers?

I'm in the same boat as the OP. I'd love to just buy the 30 module to use with my 9KX, but I feel like I wouldn't be benefitting from the 30 as much as I could.
                          Save a Drum, Bang a Drummer!

Comment

Well, My TD30 turned up today - I have had an hours worth of messing around (not changed any settings yet) and my PD105 snare works real nice for positional sensing. The CY12 and 13 seem to be the same. I dont think I notice much difference if any with the PD85's. But yes, I have only messed with the onboard kits, but this is a BIG upgrade from the TD9 module.

Comment

Hardware,

Hardware wrote:
                              Please correct me if I'm wrong. In order to benefit from the supernatural aspect of the 30 you would need to upgrade to newer drum/cymbal triggers?
                              Any pad that is compatible with the TD-30 (which includes all of Roland's previous drum and cymbal pads) will benefit from the SuperNATURAL sound engine. Some of Roland's pads don't provide positional sensing information so you won't get positional sensing with those pads. Similarly, cymbal pads that don't provide bell triggering or positional sensing will not benefit from those features. But, overall, you'll still get a big improvement in sound and playability due to how the TD-30 processes trigger inputs and the increased realism of the SuperNATURAL engine. Of course, you'll get even more expression if you use pads that are fully compatible with all of the TD-30's capabilities.

The TD-9KX uses all mesh pads with center mounted head piezos so you're okay in that area - you'll get positional sensing with these pads. Your ride cymbal is fully supported so that's a go there. The only place you may want to upgrade is your crash cymbal and hi-hat pad. But, I'd try out what you've got (first) before changing the pads.

Ultimately, as with pretty much any electronic drum kit, larger drum and cymbal pads allow for more expressiveness because the greater surface area allows using more drumming techniques. Also, with the TD-30, the module is optimized for larger pads so you'll get a wider range of response as long as you utilize the whole area of the pad and the rims. Due to Roland's hot spot issue, I tend to avoid 8 inch pads because there's not enough area to get away from the hot spot. All-in-all, do you need to upgrade your pads to benefit from the TD-30? No. Would it be ideal to do so? Yes.

Comment

Working...
                              X