Announcement

Collapse

Products Posting Guidelines

PRODUCT DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST TECHNICAL QUESTIONS!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

VDrums With MIDI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VDrums With MIDI

I recently purchased a TD-8, and I've been very happy with the sounds. However, it's clear that this machine was made with drummers, not MIDI users, in mind. Examples:

* The twelve drum instruments are easy to change, but changing any of the other "percussion" instruments requires a trip to the Pattern mode (of all places), and several extra steps. This just doesn't make sense.

* You can control the volume of the "percussion" instruments with the standard MIDI Volume controller, but you can't control the volume of the drums without using System Exclusive. This makes the mixer in a sequencer pretty uselss.

These are only the two most annoying problems...there are others. Is anyone else frustrated with this? Is there a way to alert Roland to these problems? Perhaps if there was enough support, they would be willing to make a software upgrade.

Jacob Weber

Clik on the following ...
    http://www.vdrums.com/discussion/For...ML/000015.html

Comment

For the kind of money Roland wants for the thing, you could get a pretty decent sampler these days. Especially if you buy something used from Ebay. Emu ESI2000 Akai S3000XL I just saw an Emu E-Synth for $700. If you're an expierienced midi user, I don't see what you would want a turnkey module for anyway. They're very limiting to begin with, there's very low expandability and they're very light duty. I wouldn't tour with one, you'd have to take at least 3 modules and extra pads along as well. I would bet that Omar Hakim has three full sets to stay up and running on the Madonna tour. I own a DTX and I've just gone back to my Kat and rack of samplers and modules. It is fun to fart around with, but really, it's not for professional applications by itself.

[This message has been edited by jrcel (edited December 17, 2000).]
      Drumkat Turbo 4.5, Emulator X3, Superior 2.1, Roland Fantom XR, DTXtreme III, SPD-20 etc.......

Comment

Real drummers use real drums!

-

Comment

Whatever that means.
          Drumkat Turbo 4.5, Emulator X3, Superior 2.1, Roland Fantom XR, DTXtreme III, SPD-20 etc.......

Comment

well jrcel, you are partly right you can get a decent sampler for that money, but with a sampler you still need some good triggering to get those great samples as live as they can get.
            so what i do i use TD10's fast triggering to control an external sampler and I'm very satisfied with it.

my 2c
            baksis is the way of life

Comment

Originally posted by Marc.:

-
              That makes most of us unreal drummers!

Comment

Yeah but you can't set each input it's own midi channel, this is coved in some of my other posts.

Comment

Originally posted by Arriguy:
                  That makes most of us unreal drummers!
                  Ahem, VIRTUAL drummers.

------------------
                  \oo/_ _\oo/

[This message has been edited by rus (edited January 19, 2001).]
                  \oo/_ :mad: _\oo/

Comment

Ha, ha!

Jrcel...putting the smack down on this thread.

I completely agree. You go, girl.

BINARY

Comment

Originally posted by Marc.:

-
                      I have been playing as you say "Real Drums" for 25 years and I just bought the V-Drums. They are way more than any "Real Drums" could ever be. If you want to say I am not a real drummer.......whatever .

Comment

Working...
                      X