Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HELP-was set on td15v until read about 2box-can you help me decide?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HELP-was set on td15v until read about 2box-can you help me decide?

Hey V-drum family,

first-time poster here, so Im pretty likely to reveal my beginner status through some naive remarks, but hey, that why Im here.. bear with me.

Im no beginner to drumming, as I've been in concert band percussion, drumline, and most recently, played my acoustic set in a rock band. Now the band is no more, and I've moved into an apartment creating a situation where I couldnt play much at all without an e-kit. Ive done research for weeks; tested a few at GC and with my budget I had come to somewhat of a decision upon the Roland td 15kv. I dug the hi hat rather than the weird stationary ones, liked the feel of the mesh pads (though bouncy), this is nerdy but I even kinda liked the coaching features, also I could appreciate its sensitivity and dynamics, and had an overall fun time playing. I was pretty sold.

BUT THEN..I started reading this forum and kept noticing how almost every time a td 15kv was brought up, some one chimed in how the 2box is roughly the same price, and blows the td15kv out of the water, at least in terms of sound (if I read correctly).
    My main concern with 2box kit is that I am not technologically savvy. I am not great with computers, and I fear that the 2 box is a beast that requires alot more computer involvement than I am comfortable with.

Am I interpreting this correctly, or looking at it the wrong way?

So Now I want to enlist the forum's wealth of knowledge, suggestions, and guidance to help me decide on my first e-kit.

In Summary:
    I really just want something for the apartment to keep the chops up and develop more skills.
    I want something that sounds and feels great. (duh)
    Recording and gigging are not too important to me , at least at the moment. (I'd probabaly just use my acoustic for live).
    ​I do not want to spend endless hours creating sounds, or having to do too much computer work.
    I am not a DIY'er and don't want to frankenstein nor build an AtoE kit or anything super difficult.

Thanks in advance for any help

The 2box sounds are not too shabby either, so, you wouldn't have to tinker with importing other sounds, although almost all of us do tinker because it is in our nature.

A td15 with some VEX packs would also sound better.

Listen to some videos on YouTube to get a feel of the sounds. Remember there is also DIY which would allow you to lower the money spent a bit.

A newcomer with a lot of questions unanswered is the Nfuzd kit, which at about $1,500 allows you to keep your a-kit feel and size. Something to chech in the coming weeks.

It's a crazy world! In the end, just pick something and play.
    DTX700, eDRUMin 4+10, A2E Dixon kit, Yamaha cymbals, FSR HH
    Kit Pix http://vdrums.com/forum/album.php?albumid=613

My new venture, HiEnd Speakers. : voglosounds.com

Comment

There seems to be 2 main factors with ekits used for practice... it's gotta sound good and it's gotta feel good.

The stock sounds of the 2Box sound better than the Roland sounds because they are real drum samples. However, the TD15 sounds with an added VEX pack are no slouch. I love mine.

The TD15 with the mesh heads feel great to me. The 2Box has one consistent complaint and that is the playability of the high hat. Many have to do something about that.

In the end it's personal preference. With the 2Box you can add sampled sounds directly to the module. You may not want that now. You may never want that.

I owned a TD9, then a 2Box (module only). Eventually went back to Roland with the TD15. It just works (for me) and sounds good.

Good luck and welcome!
      TD-25KV, Yamaha DXR15, MG10. Senn 280HD.

Comment

Thanks for the warm welcome and help guys,

Perceval- I'll admittedly want to tinker as I progress, but just wanted something appropriate to get stared on right away without too much computer work. Good to hear the 2 box sounds great out of the box though. "JUST PICK SOMETHING AND PLAY" sounds great, as i'm going stir crazy not playing at all, and having researched and hunted used kits for weeks.

billgtx- invaluable to hear from someone who has owned both. Kinda stoked to hear you like the 15 that much. And I also don't wanna have to immediately buy a different hi hat if I go the 2box route.

sounds like maybe the 2box kit is more of a "grow into" kit than the td 15kv???

Comment

There are those that absolutely love the 2Box and you don't have the issue of unlearning Roland's way of doing things. Getting the high hat to play well isn't all that problematic. Perusing the 2Box forum might help as well.

Comment

My thoughts are after much reading about 2 box and owning Roland is you can have all the benefits of what the 2 box has on a Roland but you can't have all the benefits of the Roland on the 2 box.
            Meaning you can have vst sounds on The Roland but you can't have say PS or choice of hi hats (without modification) on the 2 box.
            "It makes sense if you dont think about it"

Mimic Pro, SPD-SX, 2-QSC K-10s, K-sub, Yamaha mixer, and a bunch of other expensive cool things!

Comment

In the OP's case - PS isn't available on the TD15 but the choice of high hats is a good example.

Comment

Originally posted by billgtx View Post
                In the OP's case - PS isn't available on the TD15 but the choice of high hats is a good example.
                Yeah, forgot about that one! Ok then Choice of modules? 2 box has only one and it's starting to age a bit. And ohhhhh that color! The Roland could be painted orange I suppose.
                I really can not think of anything the 2 box offers that a Roland TD15 is not capable of except maybe having a bell on a splash or crash cymbal (not sure it would ever get used).
                I thought of one! Expansion of pads? The TD15 has no midi in and the 2 box does but I'm not sure it can be expanded that way as it has no sequencer or percussion set?

The future of 2 box (if it has one) might make me think about adding one if it's a drumit 6 or 7. I want to see if they can improve on their offering like every other company has.
                "It makes sense if you dont think about it"

Mimic Pro, SPD-SX, 2-QSC K-10s, K-sub, Yamaha mixer, and a bunch of other expensive cool things!

Comment

First a question, where are you located in the world?

A TD-15KV is a better out-of-box experience - Years of honed edrum experience from Roland makes it as simple as possible to setup and play.
                  2box has the most potential - stock sounds rival the TD15 (After modding = better than a TD30)

I would never buy the 2box drumit5 stock kit though, not when you can buy a Jobeky kit with a 2box module and full size shells for the same price. That's why it depends where you are in the world. I don't know what choices are available in the US.

My gut reaction says a TD15KV would be the right choice for you.

P.S. If you're still not sure, wait 3 months.
                  ◾ Diamond Drums 4pc in Di-Noc carbon ◾ MegaDRUM
                  ◾ Roland UA-1010 / cymbals / KT-10 (x2) ◾ Tama / Gibraltar hardware ◾ JBL LSR3 Series 2.1 Monitoring ◾ Pearl THMP-1
                  PA Comparison Sheet

Comment

Never had the 15 but I've had the 30. I chose the 2Box. The sound set blows the Roland offerings out of the water and when set up correctly(using the HH control box of Jman's)the hats play every bit as well as the VH13 and the 30. Never used the pads though. I build all mine. I don't mis PS a bit with all the sweet sounding deep layered samples available. Even the stock samples are really nice and 2Box offers free ones on their site.
                    8 piece DIY Acrylic, 2x2Box DrumIt5, Gen16 4xDCP, DIY Acrylic&Gen16 Conversions, Sleishman Twin-QuadSteele hybrid, Gibraltar&DrumFrame rack, DW9502LB, Midi Knights Pro Lighting
                    http://www.airbrushartists.org/DreamscapeAirbrushRealm

Comment

Does building sounds from VST easy? everyone talk about 2box and love so much.. I might looking into it .. Does the 2box compatible with roland pads and cymbals/hihat? thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by tivi View Post
                        Does building sounds from VST easy? everyone talk about 2box and love so much.. I might looking into it .. Does the 2box compatible with roland pads and cymbals/hihat? thanks.
                        With SDSE, it's very easy to build sounds from a VST.

Roland pads, kick, 2 zone cymbals (+chokes) - work with 2box.

Roland hi-hat i.e. VH-11: 2 zone cymbal - yes it works.
                        Control box: not compatible [Requires buying Jman's HH control box]

Roland 3 zone ride - I'm not sure. Possibly with a Y-splitter, expect 2 zone only.
                        Last edited by Kabonfaiba; 02-08-15, 12:46 PM.
                        ◾ Diamond Drums 4pc in Di-Noc carbon ◾ MegaDRUM
                        ◾ Roland UA-1010 / cymbals / KT-10 (x2) ◾ Tama / Gibraltar hardware ◾ JBL LSR3 Series 2.1 Monitoring ◾ Pearl THMP-1
                        PA Comparison Sheet

Comment

Originally posted by tivi View Post
                          You'll find a wealth of info on 3rd party compatible pads in this thread...

http://www.vdrums.com/forum/advanced...nks-and-builds

...and on the 2Box forum....

http://www.2box-forum.com/index.php
                          8 piece DIY Acrylic, 2x2Box DrumIt5, Gen16 4xDCP, DIY Acrylic&Gen16 Conversions, Sleishman Twin-QuadSteele hybrid, Gibraltar&DrumFrame rack, DW9502LB, Midi Knights Pro Lighting
                          http://www.airbrushartists.org/DreamscapeAirbrushRealm

Comment

Hi Daniel, So you have your hats on the 2box module playing as good as the Roland hats ?? This is one of the main reasons I sold my 2box module a few years back. How good does playing translate with the VST imported sounds, Is there any difference to the stock module sounds with the playing ?
                            Roland TD-12 Ludwig A2E 5pc kit, VH-11
                            Studio Drummer, Abbey Road 60's 70's 80's, AD2, SSD4, SD3
                            Komplete Audio 6, JBL Eon 515XT, Mackie FX12, DAW Studio One 3

Comment

Again, I very much appreciate all the advice.

Well its down to a TD15kv with Vex packs, or the drumit5. I still dont know which to get. hah

seeing as how Im starting from scratch, I need a whole kit. Unfortunately it sounds like the hardware for the drumit 5 is somewhat lacking ie: rack that lets bass drum wiggle and move, and ive heard hi hat complaints..

and by the way I'm in the states so jokeby would be tough.

Regarding the TD15, now I just worry that now ill be aware that its sound, (even vexed) will never measure up to the 2box. (If I am underestimating the effect of adding vex please let me know) because i do like how extremely user friendly the td15 is.

any last words of advice?

(i swear im very close to being done talking circles around this subject, and will just pull the trigger any moment. So thanks for the help up to the last second)

Comment

Working...
                              X