Announcement

Collapse

Products Posting Guidelines

PRODUCT DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST TECHNICAL QUESTIONS!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

What are you guys using for snare sounds?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What are you guys using for snare sounds?

My last few posts detailed how I'm sort of disappointed with the roland snare sounds... What sounds are you guys using for live or practice applications? Please include any tweaks you've made.

Thanks,
    rus
    \oo/_ :mad: _\oo/

I have the 8 so I guess the sounds would be different...

But I finally got a snare I like - and its better than the toms and bass. I have to work on those next.

I pick the sound parameters not only by how they sound live, but I record them and play them back on various systems, and check how they sound all over. Some live sounds that are good, seem to sound phony on a good stereo - not sure why... And of course, some bass drums sound like total **** on a small boom box - the bass just craps out on them.

Anyway - if you want I'll get the exact settings for you.

Comment

I always used the Jazz snare sound and changed the shell to BRASS since I like brass snares. I set the strainer too LOOSE. Sometimes I also used a PICCOLO snare because of its fine tone and changed the shell size to 8 inches or so.

BUT: I used it next to my acoustic snare. Never have been satisfied with electronic snares 'cause there are quite one dimensional. However, I think Roland did a great thing on snares in the td-10. Using the strainer, snare shell and depth sizes is one of the COSM things that realy rocks.
      Robert

Comment

Originally posted by Leo:
        I have the 8 so I guess the sounds would be different...

Anyway - if you want I'll get the exact settings for you.
        Very interested... please post them.
        rus

Comment

I've been experimenting with the TD-8 snare sounds and have found some that I like through the phones then when I get to the gig and run the drums through the PA they sound like crap! That has been frustrating. As a result I now midi my Alesis D5 with the vdrums and laterly I've been getting a better "crack" on the snare. I'll try to post the exact snare sounds I use later.

Comment

That's interesting cause a friend is sending me an Alesis drum machine to mess with. I'll Midi them together and try out some snares... we'll see.

rus.

Comment

I have the VCustom TD8 and there are several great sounding snare drums in the library. I will try to list the settings I have come up with later this week. I know exactly what your talking about with setting up sounds on the headphones and then being dissapointed in the way it sounds live through the PA. The only way I setup my kits and listening to them using my own PA system which has a really good mixer (Mackie) and a very powerful Amp and Great quality speakers (Mackie SRM450's, or JBL G2 for example). You didn't say but are you splitting up the instrument groups and sending them out separate outputs off of the TD10 or TD8? You really need to do this if you are not right now, because that is the only way you will be able to get the sound of the snare right without affecting the sound of the rest of the drums. Do a search using "I lost my toms" and I showed exactly how you need to set this up. I hope this helps,

Bruce....
              P.S. I also run a CD Player into my system and play some great rock music through it and I then try to find snare sounds that match the ones on the CD. This really works great and if you have a good ear you can get almost the same sound by tweeking the samples. I even got a Yamaha demo disk of all their acoustic drum sets and I use these for comparing and setting up new kits as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Bruce:
                P.S. I also run a CD Player into my system and play some great rock music through it and I then try to find snare sounds that match the ones on the CD. This really works great and if you have a good ear you can get almost the same sound by tweeking the samples. I even got a Yamaha demo disk of all their acoustic drum sets and I use these for comparing and setting up new kits as well.
                Bruce,

Do you have the wherewithall to make a copy of that cd? If so send me one!!

rus

Comment

I found this snare to sound pretty good, also it tracks well, and plays well on other sound systems.

It is the TD8 v-snare number #170 - MED3 RS

I have these settings:

Depth: normal
                  Head: pinstripe
                  Tuning: -5
                  Muffling: Tape 1
                  Strainer: Tight

Mixer: volume 90

I sometimes change the muffleing, depending on the 'ring' I want. Also the tuning depends on your music. This snare seems to have a rising after-note. If you don't like this, try a coated head for more 'thud'. And you could also change the shell size for a deeper note. There are SO many choises!!

Not sure about your TD10s, though...

Comment

for the most part i use wood shells coated heads and no muffeling.and only 5.5x 14 shell(guess im a jazz drummer at heart)

Comment

[QUOTE]Originally posted by rus:
                      [B]My last few posts detailed how I'm sort of disappointed with the roland snare sounds...

Hey Rus ,don't be disappointed.Cause even in a KORG TRINITY sequencer,the preset sounds are cheesy.Never expect the manufacturers to create a sound that will fit your needs exactly.

Well,in the end ,depends on what you play.
                      If you post a reply ,I'll do my best to help you

Postnuklear
                      Nabil

Comment

I guess instead of asking, "what do you guys use" I could/should have given some "Kind of music I play" info.... Well, here goes.

I'm looking to tweak about 5 snares for serious rock playing... think Korn, Bizkit, Linkin Park, Disturbed, etc.... I'm also into the pop-punk sound Green Day, Blink 182, et al...

I need snare sounds that have a really nice... "knock" to them... I guess my problem is that with a real snare, the harder you hit (to a point) the better they sound. I had one crappy looking, wooden snare that seemed to lack that 'celing' though... it had no limits and the harder I hit it, the better it sounded....

V's don't work that way of course, and I need to aroximate this within the boundries of the electronics.

Help.
                        rus

Comment

I recently used the vintage snare,brass shell, I used my 1680 rec.'s effects. A little plate reverb, EQ mids 2:00, highs 1:00. Im gonna try tweakin' around on the TD10 EQ, but I stay away from its effects, ambience, it causes bleed.
                          LEGALIZE IT NOW!

Comment

Hey Rus,
                            fist of all,I have a little question.Do you know that by striking simultaneously on the head and the rim of your snare ,you will create a third sound ,kind of harmony between the previous two?
                            Therefore,by hitting harder on both parts, that specific new sound will sound better.

Here are a few suggestions for your alternative kits:

90-MEDIUM1S\coated\pitch21\tape2\strainer medium\rim n91 same presets

102-ACOUSTICS\coated\29\off\medium\rim103 same presets

121-13"\pitch 10\decay 31\rim122 same presets

(all wooden shells ,6.5" depth)

Do you need bass drums? anyway,don't forget to post your opinion back.I need to know if you're satisfied or not...

See ya .
                            POSTNUKLEAR
                            Nabil

Comment

Rus,
                              This may be repetetive for you, but I didn't find a good, clear snare sound that I liked either. So, I started with the Dynamic Snare sound, tuned it up to 55, with decay to 5, and altered the EQ settings on both the individual snare and Master EQ, to boost the 2.0k frequency. (2k set at a gain of +6). I did the same for the Dynamic Rim, but tuned it to 50, gain of 5. This snare works good in our club PA, as it cuts through now. I also bumped the volumes up to 127, and used the sliders to mix, with the Master Volume dial set at 75%. The other guys probably have some better suggestions for you, but here's my 2 cents.

Ron

Comment

Working...
                              X