Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help on a few different options for me

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Help on a few different options for me

    Hi there, first post here.

    I just sold my Alesis DM Lite drumset earlier today with hope of grabbing something I can grow on. With that in mind, My budget is about $700, no pedals included.

    I am aware that that won't get me much in terms of a new kit, but I'm not opposed to buying used and building what will suit me best.

    My options as of right now are:

    Alesis DM7 (older model, not X or session kit)- Looks very new and barely played. Looking for $400 for this kit.
    Roland TD-4K- I got to play on mesh pads at GC for the first time earlier today and I'm really interested in an all mesh kit. Snare at least, but I'd prefer more. These are around the $650 range.
    Simmons SD1000- this would be a new model still in the original box from GC. Runs around $700 before taxes and that fun stuff.

    In terms of value, and upgradability, what would you all prefer to go with? I will give any used kit I look into at least a half hour pf play time to insure that everything is in decent condition beforehand.

    Thanks for the help.

  • #2
    Welcome to the forums!!!! How about a little intro with pics in the Foyer?

    To better answer your question we need to know what you plan to do with said kit. With your budget I'd suggest spending it all on a decent module and DIY shells/pads. Best bang for your buck but again, need to know if you're strictly home noodling, gigging, semi serious recording, etc etc. Knowing this will help folks narrow their suggestions.

    K ;-)
    My bands: Alter Ego, Arcanum
    E Kit = Roland TDW-20s kit // Roland SPD-S// Pearl Demon Drives//
    A Kit = Tama Swingstar 5 pc (1981) w/roto toms (orig owner!) //Zildjians
    A Kit = Natal 6 pc with Paiste 2000 & Zildjian/MidiKNights/DrumSplitters

    Comment


    • #3
      I am still a beginner and don't need anything too incredible, but I don't want to feel like my gear is sub par either. I may eventually upgrade to running software through a MIDI, but not for recording purposes. This is just a hobby and an excuse to jam with friends really.

      Comment


      • #4
        I've done a review of the SD1000 and the Yamaha DTX4xx series, both in your price range and level range, at dD Mag:

        Yamaha: http://issuu.com/digitaldrummer/docs...rummer_may2103
        Simmons: http://issuu.com/digitaldrummer/docs...vember_2013_lr

        In both instances, they'll work fine as MIDI controllers.

        We also had another beginning drummer just get a Yamaha DTX4xxx series kit here:

        http://www.vdrums.com/forum/performa...49-new-e-drums

        No mesh but at your budget, that's probably not realistic.

        www.digitaldrummermag.com
        www.dauphinehotel.com
        TD-12, DTX502, SD1000, EZDrummer, Diamond Drum 12" snare, S1000 toms/cymbals/kick, PCY10/100/135/155, CY-5/14, Hart Ride, Hart Acupad 8" kick, Epedal Pro II, Concept 1 pads/cymbals, SD1000 & Roland V Sessions racks, PD-7, Kit Toy 10" splash, DMPad ride, SamplePad, PerformancePad Pro

        Comment


        • #5
          The TD4K is a good option, as well as what grog mentioned. There definitely is a difference in the mesh versus rubber pads, and as a beginner I would recommend using mesh because they feel more realistic. Down the line you could buy a TD9 module used, or something like it, and get upgraded sounds without much hassle.

          Otherwise, DIY is always a good option to save $, but cymbals can get pricey.

          Comment


          • #6
            I started out with a TD-4KX2-S kit, which was all mesh pads. Most excellent. Still have most of the pads as my upgrade $$ went to getting a TD-30 and a Diamond snare (as detailed below).
            TD-30++ (TD-30, Diamond Electronic Drums 14x5 snare+Ludwig Atlas Pro II, 2xPDX-8, 2xPDX-6, VH-11+Gibraltar 9607DL-LD, 2xCY-12C, CY-13R, KT-10) + DA200S, almost all on an MDS-4 and a bit on the floor.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by kaosotis View Post
              There definitely is a difference in the mesh versus rubber pads, and as a beginner I would recommend using mesh because they feel more realistic.
              I agree with the first part but gotta offer a dissenting opinion on the second. For ten years now I've seen the "mesh is more realistic" and "mesh is like a hyper bouncy tennis racket" comments. As a beginner, you're actually better off because you won't go into it constantly comparing the surface to "realism" ie, acoustic drums. As a beginner, I wouldn't get wrapped up in trying to get what's "most realistic".

              I went thru the standard progression in this regard, also coming into drumming with *no* acoustic drumming background. Started on old rubber pads, bought into the "mesh is the way to go" paradigm, then partially moved over to Yamaha's TCS foam approach (just one). Don't get me wrong, I'm Switzerland in "pad wars". I'm hopefully saying that for every person here who says "use this type of pad because it's >pick your favorite "most realistic" surface type here<", there's another who will either debate that or, like me, tell you at this point, it doesn't matter much.

              I still have my Diamond snare. Wonderful piece of mesh-based gear. And I probably have an easier time on mesh toms than I do on my current rubber ones (no budget for Yamaha TCS pads to round out the kit). But other decisions went into mostly abandoning mesh. I will say that the newer rubber pads are much better than something like the old rock hard Roland PD-7s (and their ilk).

              Again, go into this with the idea that at least as far as your snare and toms pads are concerned, nothing is necessarily "better", but all are different. You won't know until you beat on different surfaces and find one suits you better than another.

              Oh, another option at your point is the new Roland TD-1K. Allan's got a review of it at dD Mag which as a new, aspiring edrummer, you should go to the site and sign up.

              It's not all mesh but the snare is.

              www.digitaldrummermag.com
              www.dauphinehotel.com
              Last edited by grog; 01-27-15, 10:16 AM.
              TD-12, DTX502, SD1000, EZDrummer, Diamond Drum 12" snare, S1000 toms/cymbals/kick, PCY10/100/135/155, CY-5/14, Hart Ride, Hart Acupad 8" kick, Epedal Pro II, Concept 1 pads/cymbals, SD1000 & Roland V Sessions racks, PD-7, Kit Toy 10" splash, DMPad ride, SamplePad, PerformancePad Pro

              Comment


              • #8
                Deathoftheparty,

                Here's a different answer. Unless you absolutely must have a quiet solution, given your budget, I'd go with acoustic drums. Your budget won't buy much (new or used) in the electronic drum world. But, it will get you quite a playable and reasonable sounding kit in the acoustic drum world, and that's why I'd take that route, if feasible. I hate to say this so bluntly, but low end electronic kits are awful. I'd almost rather not play drums than have to play on such a kit - small pads, terrible sounds, limited sensitivity, limited triggering. Fortunately, the acoustic drum world provides plenty of useable options in your price range. If you absolutely must go with electronic drums in that price range, set your expectations accordingly. You won't get a reasonable sounding, feeling, playing electronic kit for that price. But, what you will get is something that allows you to practice independence and, to some degree, basic patterns and voicing. I'll underline once more, unless a quiet solution is a must, you're much better served by acoustic drums at that price point.

                Comment


                • #9
                  I live in a 2 bedroom apartment on the second floor. An acoustic set is out of the question until I get a house.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Would putting a Roland mesh snare on that DM7 be as easy as plug and play? I can get that unit for substantially less than I can a used Roland unit, and with Addictive Drums, I'm not too worried about the module itself.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by grog View Post

                      I agree with the first part but gotta offer a dissenting opinion on the second. For ten years now I've seen the "mesh is more realistic" and "mesh is like a hyper bouncy tennis racket" comments. As a beginner, you're actually better off because you won't go into it constantly comparing the surface to "realism" ie, acoustic drums. As a beginner, I wouldn't get wrapped up in trying to get what's "most realistic".

                      I went thru the standard progression in this regard, also coming into drumming with *no* acoustic drumming background. Started on old rubber pads, bought into the "mesh is the way to go" paradigm, then partially moved over to Yamaha's TCS foam approach (just one). Don't get me wrong, I'm Switzerland in "pad wars". I'm hopefully saying that for every person here who says "use this type of pad because it's >pick your favorite "most realistic" surface type here<", there's another who will either debate that or, like me, tell you at this point, it doesn't matter much.

                      I still have my Diamond snare. Wonderful piece of mesh-based gear. And I probably have an easier time on mesh toms than I do on my current rubber ones (no budget for Yamaha TCS pads to round out the kit). But other decisions went into mostly abandoning mesh. I will say that the newer rubber pads are much better than something like the old rock hard Roland PD-7s (and their ilk).

                      Again, go into this with the idea that at least as far as your snare and toms pads are concerned, nothing is necessarily "better", but all are different. You won't know until you beat on different surfaces and find one suits you better than another.

                      Oh, another option at your point is the new Roland TD-1K. Allan's got a review of it at dD Mag which as a new, aspiring edrummer, you should go to the site and sign up.

                      It's not all mesh but the snare is.

                      www.digitaldrummermag.com
                      www.dauphinehotel.com

                      Very solid point grog. I guess I was thinking that he would eventually transition to an acoustic kit, and therefore having the stick response be as close to that as possible was helpful long term. That being said, there's certainly nothing wrong with rubber pads. I had a DTXpress III I used for a few years as a quiet practice kit at home until building my DIY TD9 mesh kit, and I always found it very hard on my hands because there was so much rebound. But it's not like it was horrible to play, etc...

                      For me the advantage of a DIY mesh kit is having the layout similar to my acoustic kit, but if you don't have one it won't matter .

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Deathoftheparty View Post
                        I will give any used kit I look into at least a half hour pf play time to insure that everything is in decent condition beforehand.
                        I'm just going to put it out there that when I sold off my old gear I would never have allowed a stranger to have half an hour playing it to decide whether they wanted it or not. 5 minutes (maybe up to 10 if I had a good feeling), a good inspection, unplugging, moving cables/connections around, flicking through settings, all that kind of thing can be done in a small amount of time, but there is no way that I'd let someone I don't know come and play my drums for half an hour. I don't want someone damaging what I'm trying to sell.

                        Is it just me who thinks that way?

                        Back to the main discussion, I prefer the mesh pads myself, I started with no acoustic background, I actually started because of Rock Band and Guitar Hero (laugh at me all you want!) but then bought a really cheap rubber pad kit, which was okay to play around on then I decided that I wanted some lessons. There was a massive difference between the acoustic kit I had lessons on and the rubber pads I had at home. That's when I discovered that I didn't like rubber pads. It was a big factor in buying a new kit with mesh pads. They don't feel the same but I don't have issues going between kits anymore, I don't switch back to my mesh at home and despise it. So if you think you're likely to have some lessons or switch between acoustic and e-drums I'd suggest taking that into consideration. Not that there's anything wrong with rubber pads, it's just a matter of personal preference. Also, I've never really had a good play on any decent rubber pads so that probably goes a long way to how much I dislike them.
                        Kaiju
                        Roland TD-15KV module and cymbals, Gen 16 AE rack, Gen 16 AE cymbals, Diamond Electronic Drums, Tama HP300 single pedal, Lectric Moo, Carmichael throne

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Great discussion.

                          Yeah, I never really thought about the possibility of "transitioning to acoustic" because these days, that's not really a given. But, it is something to consider in the long run. You also raise another good point about the physical effects of rubber pads vs mesh. We've had plenty of stories from those who had wrist issues when beating on rubber pads and the transition to mesh mitigated the problem. I'm guessing the TCS foam approach would be similar.

                          Ah, lessons and transitioning back and forth, that's a really good point. Actually, I doubt having "decent rubber pads" would help. The surface difference is stark enough that you'd have issues. I know from setting up old rubber pads, new rubber pads, several different mesh approachs and a TCS pad side-by-side and playing on them shows just how different even the edrum equipment can differ.

                          www.digitaldrummermag.com
                          www.dauphinehotel.com
                          TD-12, DTX502, SD1000, EZDrummer, Diamond Drum 12" snare, S1000 toms/cymbals/kick, PCY10/100/135/155, CY-5/14, Hart Ride, Hart Acupad 8" kick, Epedal Pro II, Concept 1 pads/cymbals, SD1000 & Roland V Sessions racks, PD-7, Kit Toy 10" splash, DMPad ride, SamplePad, PerformancePad Pro

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by grog View Post
                            Yeah, I never really thought about the possibility of "transitioning to acoustic" because these days, that's not really a given.
                            I have no intention of buying an acoustic kit at all anymore. I originally thought I wanted to "somewhere down the track" but now I'm actually pretty happy at the moment. I didn't realise all the e-drum options available until I stumbled across this forum looking for an answer to a Gen 16 query. I'll probably get a new module at some point, even though VEX made it much better, and I might look at some different cymbal options, maybe try the bronze Gen 16s or Stealth, or actually attempt some DIY. For me electronic offers enough options now and can only keep improving, as well as the fact they don't disturb my neighbours.

                            I have never considered the damage rubber pads could do to my wrist (or that they could aggravate existing damage anyway). I have wrist problems from work so that's a good point.

                            Kaiju
                            Roland TD-15KV module and cymbals, Gen 16 AE rack, Gen 16 AE cymbals, Diamond Electronic Drums, Tama HP300 single pedal, Lectric Moo, Carmichael throne

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            X