Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

roland td8 module versus td10 module

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• roland td8 module versus td10 module

I currently own a td8 module with vex and looking to purchase a td10 expanded. I would like to have the extra outputs and ability to operate the vcymbals more efficiently.
    I know the td10 is an older unit, but is it worth it to purchase one. Anyone with td10 expanded experience please give some input with your experiences. Also td8 versus td10 opinions.
    Roland TD-8 Mod, DIY burgandy Mapex drums 12" snare, 8" 10" and 12" rack toms, 14" rack floor tom, 22" Bass drum , 3 cy-15r cymbals, one for the ride 2 for the crashes and cy-14c for hi hat.

Songs i've recorded using my old TD-7

My drum kit

UTFSE. Search term:

TD10 TD8

returns this:
    http://www.vdrums.com/forum/general/...36-td8-vs-td10
    (not really helpful)

http://www.vdrums.com/forum/general/...modules-td8-10
    (semi helpful)

http://www.vdrums.com/forum/general/...eeded-for-td10
    (semi helpful)

http://www.vdrums.com/forum/general/...69-td8-or-td10
    (somebody, not me, back in 2008 saying "the search engine is your friend". The really frustrating thing is there's a link there that no longer works because of the massive hose up of the software here at vdrums)

http://www.vdrums.com/forum/general/...8-and-td-10exp
    (semi helpful)

http://www.vdrums.com/forum/general/...-td-8-or-td-10
    (semi helpful)

http://www.vdrums.com/forum/general/...8-to-td-10-exp
    (semi helpful)

http://www.vdrums.com/forum/general/...ion-on-modules
    (semi helpful)

http://www.vdrums.com/forum/general/...78-td8-vs-td10
    (This post dates back to 2002 and people were asking the same thing and getting the same reply: "Use the search engine". The problem, still, is either the links don't work or people don't link to something).

This is frustrating since I can't find a definitive post here on the subject. Heh heh, I did find a link to a definitive post at the long-defunct edrumming.com site. Hmmmm, it just dawned on me that perhaps the internet archive site might have this.

Regardless, the above should get you started.

www.digitaldrummermag.com
    www.dauphinehotel.com

TD-12, DTX502, SD1000, EZDrummer, Diamond Drum 12" snare, S1000 toms/cymbals/kick, PCY10/100/135/155, CY-5/14, Hart Ride, Hart Acupad 8" kick, Epedal Pro II, Concept 1 pads/cymbals, SD1000 & Roland V Sessions racks, PD-7, Kit Toy 10" splash, DMPad ride, SamplePad, PerformancePad Pro

Comment

Crap, this is bugging me. It appears that sometime in the 2002-2004 time frame, this was a constant topic of discussion and references to posts that sound like they'd provide a comprehensive answer to most of your implied questions. Fire up the advanced search features and narrow your search to that time frame.

In year's past I'd say go to google and search here but I can't seem to get that to work either.

This is another example of how the software "upgrade" here at vdrums has really screwed the pooch. We've got data here and would like to mine it but all we have are dull pickaxes.

www.dauphinehotel.com
      TD-12, DTX502, SD1000, EZDrummer, Diamond Drum 12" snare, S1000 toms/cymbals/kick, PCY10/100/135/155, CY-5/14, Hart Ride, Hart Acupad 8" kick, Epedal Pro II, Concept 1 pads/cymbals, SD1000 & Roland V Sessions racks, PD-7, Kit Toy 10" splash, DMPad ride, SamplePad, PerformancePad Pro

Comment

Here is what I did a few years ago: I upgraded from a TD-8 to a TD-12 and got some vex packs. I had the opportunity to grab a td-10 but spent a few xtra bucks and was more than happy.
        Ostrich Hat
        www.ostrichhat.com

Comment

agreed, TD-12 is a better choice

Comment

As someone who had an exp-TD10 for about five years then moved to a TD-12, I'm with jeff and tivi. If you're gonna upgrade, remember our adage "always buy the most module you can afford". If you can afford a TD-12, get that over the exp-TD10...easy choice if your budget permits it.

www.dauphinehotel.com

Comment

Does the 12 have an expanded version? I would buy the Td12 in a heartbeat, but it only has master out and 2 direct outs. I wish Roland put more outputs on the 12. The other option would be the td20. But that is alot more money
              Roland TD-8 Mod, DIY burgandy Mapex drums 12" snare, 8" 10" and 12" rack toms, 14" rack floor tom, 22" Bass drum , 3 cy-15r cymbals, one for the ride 2 for the crashes and cy-14c for hi hat.

My drum kit

Comment

It does not.

You stated that your two main desires are more outputs and "operating vcymbals more efficiently" which I don't know wtf you mean. Now, the cymbal capability of the TD-12 over the exp TD-10 is huge but the possible trade off is fewer outputs. Thus, you have two competing needs. Since we don't know specifically what you want additional outputs for, it's hard to determine how important that feature is to you.

Now, the fully expanded TD-10 (read the above links for the specifics on how the TD-10 was expanded 3 times) provides somewhat better cymbal capability over the TD-8 but as BarT was saying back in the day, it's not altogether that much. Opinions differed but as I recall, I tended to agree with BarT after playing a friend's TD-8 off and on for about a year alongside my expanded TD-10.

I see unexpanded TD-20s going anywhere from $750+ on ebay. Expanded TD-20s seem to start at $1200 and go up from there. It's hard to tell what TD-10s are going for since the ebay pricing and descriptions aren't always saying if the module is unexpanded or not. Oh wait, there's one that's clearly expanded for $400.

Oh well. I suppose if you dig you might find some commentary that lays out the TD-8/TD-10/TDW1 differences in gory detail.

www.dauphinehotel.com

Comment

Originally posted by grog View Post
                  It does not.

You stated that your two main desires are more outputs and "operating vcymbals more efficiently" which I don't know wtf you mean. Now, the cymbal capability of the TD-12 over the exp TD-10 is huge but the possible trade off is fewer outputs. Thus, you have two competing needs. Since we don't know specifically what you want additional outputs for, it's hard to determine how important that feature is to you.

Now, the fully expanded TD-10 (read the above links for the specifics on how the TD-10 was expanded 3 times) provides somewhat better cymbal capability over the TD-8 but as BarT was saying back in the day, it's not altogether that much. Opinions differed but as I recall, I tended to agree with BarT after playing a friend's TD-8 off and on for about a year alongside my expanded TD-10.

I see unexpanded TD-20s going anywhere from $750+ on ebay. Expanded TD-20s seem to start at $1200 and go up from there. It's hard to tell what TD-10s are going for since the ebay pricing and descriptions aren't always saying if the module is unexpanded or not. Oh wait, there's one that's clearly expanded for $400.

Oh well. I suppose if you dig you might find some commentary that lays out the TD-8/TD-10/TDW1 differences in gory detail.

www.dauphinehotel.com
                  Thanks Grog, I need more outputs for recording. I wont be playing out anywhere with the electric drums. I would like to have the capability to have separate channels for snare, bass drum, cymbals, etc. for recording. I would get the td 12 in a heartbeat if it had the 8 outputs. My td8 vexed actually sounds good. Then again if it had more outputs, I wouldnt even bother looking for another module. I just purchased a TD10 expanded with v-cymbal control. Hopefully it will do a little better than the td 8 in sound quality and I will have all the outputs I need.

My drum kit

Comment

Working...
                  X