Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Jobeky real feel electronic cymbal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jobeky real feel electronic cymbal

Hi everyone sorry not been on here for a long time, we have a brass electronic cymbal that we developed last year be great to hear your views, this has no rivets, pressed steel box not plastic, choke, dual zone and optional dampening pad thanks everyone Jane
    Attached Files
    Testing of our new Jobeky 14" inch dual zone cymbal with choke, enjoy :-)

Jobeky,

Kudos to you folks for trying something new, but I don't see what your cymbal offers that isn't already on the market. The swing looks like it may be more natural so that's a plus. However, the key things I look for and that are typically missing from e-cymbal offerings are also missing in yours.

For starters, I don't want undersized cymbals. I'd like crash cymbals in 16 to 20 inch sizes and ride cymbals in 20 to 22 inch sizes. In other words, like your drums, I want real cymbal sizes. A 21 inch crash/ride that actually feels like a ride cymbal would be ideal. Next, three-way triggering (edge, bow, and bell), full sensitivity all the way around (in all zones), and full dynamic range all the way around (in all zones)... this is the baseline I'm currently looking for and nobody offers it. I understand the complexities of interfacing with different modules, which makes easy three zone triggering problematic. However, even if I had to use a pair of inputs to achieve three zone triggering, that's better than not having three zones. (A cymbal simply isn't a cymbal without at least bell, bow, and edge playability.) Uninhibited, properly balanced swing so the cymbals feel correct no matter what angle and where they're approached from - that's another key feature. Finally, like mesh pads, the cymbals MUST play super quietly - no metallic clanking of wood on brass (I'm not sure whether you've solved this problem or not).

I love what you're doing with your drums, particularly because the drums stand up on their own (no rack needed), the diameters and depths are proper drum sizes, and the integrated cable management feature makes for a clean look. Roland, Yamaha, and 2Box are way behind when it comes to offering desirable cymbal solutions. It would be great to see a cymbal offering with the features I noted above. If you offer it, I'll buy it! Thanks for letting us know what you're up to and I hope to see more posts from Jobeky. :-)

Comment

Thanks for the feedback we really appreciate it and yes totally agree with you, we have been making our electronic drums for nearly 10 years and they are used on tours, and on a west end show here in the UK and by gigging drummers due to them looking like an acoustic kit, we developed the wire in wire out system to keep the cabling tidy and discreet. we've started with the 14 inch cymbal as 2box do a 14 inch we are working on a 16 inch and other sizes and a hi hat. with having drums that look like an acoustic we want to be able to offer cymbals that look and feel the part as well. we have got a dampening pad which does keep the noise levels down to about the same as a roland cymbal level. we used to make our own hi hat controller years ago as well., thanks again for the feedback and we did used to come on here a lot and will definitely keep coming on now thanks so much for the kind welcome back Jane

Comment

I guess you really wanted to show the choking feature, right? There's like 50 chokes in that video....

I would have liked to know more than just the choking feature. For example, the acoustical sound it makes without being connected to a module, which module was used in the demo and at least a good example of cymbal swell. Maybe you next video, you can add more info and less choking!

Reading about it, I believe the cymbal is made from 3 layers? A bottom metal, a dampening layer and a metal top, right? Well, it does look the part.

Tang would like to play in e-drum nirvana where he could have perfect triggering, perfect feel and no acoustic sound. We can all dream, but there are some physical properties we can't go around. We are basically smashing a disk with a stick! Having perfect everything and no noise from the hit is virtually impossible, unless using the Star Trek's holo deck. We are not there yet!

Still, good luck with your endeavour. Just like Gen16 offering a full set of cymbals for e-drumming, I think there is a market for a company that would offer a full set (splash, HH, crash, ride, china) ) of good looking and good triggering cymbals.
        DTX700, eDRUMin 4+10, A2E Dixon kit, Yamaha cymbals, FSR HH
        Kit Pix http://vdrums.com/forum/album.php?albumid=613

My new venture, HiEnd Speakers. : voglosounds.com

Comment

Originally posted by perceval View Post
          I guess you really wanted to show the choking feature, right? There's like 50 chokes in that video....

I would have liked to know more than just the choking feature. For example, the acoustical sound it makes without being connected to a module, which module was used in the demo and at least a good example of cymbal swell. Maybe you next video, you can add more info and less choking!

Reading about it, I believe the cymbal is made from 3 layers? A bottom metal, a dampening layer and a metal top, right? Well, it does look the part.

Tang would like to play in e-drum nirvana where he could have perfect triggering, perfect feel and no acoustic sound. We can all dream, but there are some physical properties we can't go around. We are basically smashing a disk with a stick! Having perfect everything and no noise from the hit is virtually impossible, unless using the Star Trek's holo deck. We are not there yet!

Still, good luck with your endeavour. Just like Gen16 offering a full set of cymbals for e-drumming, I think there is a market for a company that would offer a full set (splash, HH, crash, ride, china) ) of good looking and good triggering cymbals.

I agree with the above, AND THEY ARE DRUMS PEOPLE NOT fluffy little bunnies! They will make noise when hit. Why? because they are drums! (the same goes for cymbals by the way)!
          "It makes sense if you dont think about it"

Mimic Pro, SPD-SX, 2-QSC K-10s, K-sub, Yamaha mixer, and a bunch of other expensive cool things!

Comment

Perceval wrote:
            Tang would like to play in e-drum nirvana where he could have perfect triggering, perfect feel, and no acoustic sound. We can all dream, but there are some physical properties we can't go around. We are basically smashing a disk with a stick! Having perfect everything and no noise from the hit is virtually impossible, unless using the Star Trek's holo deck. We are not there yet!
            Actually, I'm not looking for no noise, but rather simply reduced noise similar to what Roland's and Yamaha's rubber cymbals already offer. What's wrong with the Roland and Yamaha offerings is they don't swing like real cymbals, they're not equally sensitive 360 degrees around the cymbal, and the diameters aren't correct. All of these things are reasonably easy to fix. The remaining three-way triggering feature is a bit tricky to do given different manufacturers have different three-way triggering processing. However, if the cymbal provided completely individual trigger outputs for bell, bow, and edge, that would provide enough flexability. Forget switch technology. Provide three independent piezo signals for the three zones and that would do the trick. Isolating each zone from one another is a challenge, but it's doable.

Consider that Jobeky already provides acoustic size drums. That's the thing that established them and makes them stand out in the e-drum world. It's silly to put miniature cymbals with those acoustic sizes as this defeats the entire purpose of matching the spatial characteristics of an acoustic kit. Therefore, I'd put money on it that most Jobeky customers (myself included) would like e-cymbals that match acoustic cymbal sizes. That's the missing piece in the Jobeky equation and it's why I echoed the sentiments I did.

Comment

Thanks again for the feedback everyone, sorry yes the first video was our testing video, i have attached a video here of the cymbals in use and showing the acoustic noise level, it is hard to get something totally quiet, we have made a dampening pad for the cymbals. we are working on larger sizes and the hi hat at the minute as you will notice from the video attached here that the drums look like an acoustic the cymbals look acoustic ( yes smaller in size than standard acoustic cymbals) but the hi hat stands out. the module used in the testing video was an old roland TD6 the module on the attached video is the Roland TD11, it has been tested on other Roland modules and 2 box and works great. we do have people who gig with our drums and use acoustic cymbals, so we wanted to develop a cymbal that looks and feels the part as well. kind regards Jane

Comment

Great, but stil no swell... I found that some with cymbals, VSTs sound great for swells, and with others, not so much.

Also, I was a bit sad to see on the ordering page of the website that the module compatibility list included Roland, Alesis and 2Box... but no Yamaha. Why are we always the forgotten ones? ....

Really... is there a plot out there? a plan that says to exclude everything Yamaha? Starting to feel like that.

Comment

What happened to the cymbal mute when he started playing? how is the sensitivity with it?

Comment

Something went wrong in that Jobeky link so here is the fixed link:

Jobeky Real Feel E-Cymbal - Acoustic Sound Test / Demo
                    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_DSMK94zbQc

Acoustically, the Jobeky Real Feel cymbals seem significantly louder and more metallic sounding than rubber Roland/Yamaha offerings. The mute pad didn't seem to dull the noise much, either. If rubber cymbals are already presenting noise concerns, I don't think these Jobeky cymbals will help. What surprised me even more is how loud (acoustically) the e-drums are. The bass drum has a very clunky, metallic thump and the snare drum actually has pitch and sustain. Again, it seems like these are significantly louder (acoustically) than Roland and Yamaha pads. Maybe this is just an odd, super reflective room? I noticed the Roland hi-hat pad sounds much bulkier and louder than it does in real life. So... possibly this video isn't a good example of the acoustic noise for any of the products demoed.
                    Last edited by TangTheHump; 01-08-15, 12:50 PM.

Comment

Seriously we all want the holy grail but it aint gonna happen! Jobeky produce some amazing triggering drums and I personally think these cymbals are awesome.
                      Generally electronic drums / cymbals etc are smaller - just adjust the kit the best you can to mirror your acoustic kit (like I have) , live with the 'flaws' and get drumming!
                      Electronic - Mapex DIY conversion black sparkle10,12,12,14,14 toms.16 bass. TD12, VH-12, CY 12,14,14,15. Jobeky snare. 682 heads, zed head and one Remo silentstroke. Roland PM3.
                      Acoustic - Yamaha Maple Custom black sparkle. 10,12,13,14,16,22 Zildjian Avedis Crashes, ride. Quick beat and new beat hats. Yamaha Maple snare, Pearl Sensitone brass snare, Yamaha Bamboo snare, Tee Drums Oak snare.

Comment

The holy grail of e-cymbals, is probably some kind of touch sensitive membrane bonded in transparent silicone. A bit like aquarian onheads but for cymbals, put on in zones.

It's possible right now, but far too costly in R&D for smaller companies to pursue. So we're all using piezos and switches in our cymbals still because it's cheap and works "well enough".
                        ◾ Diamond Drums 4pc in Di-Noc carbon ◾ MegaDRUM
                        ◾ Roland UA-1010 / cymbals / KT-10 (x2) ◾ Tama / Gibraltar hardware ◾ JBL LSR3 Series 2.1 Monitoring ◾ Pearl THMP-1
                        PA Comparison Sheet

Comment

Originally posted by TangTheHump View Post
                          So... possibly this video isn't a good example of the acoustic noise for any of the products demoed.
                          No, it was a good example. Not every room will sound the same. You have to adjust your perspective to their room. You said it, the HH pad and mesh sounded louder to you. So probably the cymbals will not sound as loud in your room.

Of course, the ultimate test will be for you to buy a cymbal, test it in your environment and keep it or sell it back according to your personal preferences. My feeling is you won't like it. You already mentioned the metallic sound as being a bad thing. So in your case, I believe rubber pads are your best bet. And for the absolute silence, Aerodrums!

To me, that video only lacked some cymbal swells.

Comment

Originally posted by Kabonfaiba View Post
                            The holy grail of e-cymbals, is probably some kind of touch sensitive membrane bonded in transparent silicone. A bit like aquarian onheads but for cymbals, put on in zones.

It's possible right now, but far too costly in R&D for smaller companies to pursue. So we're all using piezos and switches in our cymbals still because it's cheap and works "well enough".
                            Yep, I'd like that! But the silicone would have to be a bit harder to imitate the feel of the ride for example. So, it may not be as quiet as a drum pad. Still... I'd have a look into that if it happened. I am already considering a onHead but at $150 each, that is indeed a lot more expensive than a couple of piezos and a mesh!

Comment

The lack of swells mirrors my experience testing Smarts/Surges in the May 2011 dD Mag article on crash cymbals. Cymbals like these are "hot" and my testing experience has been "hot" cymbals are the hardest to get swells out of.

www.digitaldrummermag.com
                              www.dauphinehotel.com
                              TD-12, DTX502, SD1000, EZDrummer, Diamond Drum 12" snare, S1000 toms/cymbals/kick, PCY10/100/135/155, CY-5/14, Hart Ride, Hart Acupad 8" kick, Epedal Pro II, Concept 1 pads/cymbals, SD1000 & Roland V Sessions racks, PD-7, Kit Toy 10" splash, DMPad ride, SamplePad, PerformancePad Pro

Comment

Working...
                              X