Announcement

Collapse

Products Posting Guidelines

PRODUCT DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST TECHNICAL QUESTIONS!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

To Rack or not to Rack?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To Rack or not to Rack?

Does anyone have any pix of rack or stand setup for the v-drums? I was thinking about 86ing the rack and going to snare stands and boom cym stands. What do you think? The rack does not fit into the two door. What to do oh what to do. Thanx

I have no pictures, but in general a drum rack easies setting up a drum kit.

There are two kind of drum racks: the old Pearl types with square bars and the possibility to fold down as one whole. The advantages: the rack clamps can't turn along the square bars and the drum rack is easy to set up. Disadvantage: you need 7/8" pipe style Pearl (or similar) hardware and the fold down rack is quite heavy weighted.

Next there are some Tama type racks with beautiful chrome plated round bars. Some of them have angled legs; others have T-type feet under them. Advantage: very beautiful rack from design. Disadvantage: round bars. With weak clamps or weak memory locks very heavy cymbals or tom toms (not the case with light weighted drumpads) can make the clamps turn around the bars. Another disadvantage: the rack falls apart in 15 pieces or so when breaking it down. This can be very unhandy on stages when two bands need to change their set-up quickly and roadies put your loose parts every where they want, but not in the cases. As said before: the old Pearl rack can be fold down as one piece. But when you need to go through doors this can be an advantage. The Tama type racks are made by Tama, Gibraltar, Dixon, Roland (weak clamps) and so on. The new Pearl Icon racks seem to be a best of both worlds since they have the square bars but seperate parts to set up and break down.

Also know that a rack is quite expensive. You need to pay for the rack as well as for a lot of additional hardware parts.

Some drummers don't like to place their snare drum into a rack but want this drum on a solid base with legs: just a normal snare stand. They find it more solid to play for a snare and don't like the floating feeling of a snare hanging on a tom holder.
    Robert

Comment

889 posts! Van Putten has got to be the most helpful phell-o on this board. Every time I see someone w/ a sepecific question, it's Putten-van-Rob to da' rescue! He seems to know a good bit about everything, eh?! Good job, Rob.

Keep up the good work, Putty! !

------------------
      Thank Ye,
      Alex.
      Thanx. Alex & me V's! http://photos.yahoo.com/flexapr

Comment

I am flattered

Thanks Alex
        Robert

Comment

Originally posted by puttenvr:
          Another disadvantage: the rack falls apart in 15 pieces or so when breaking it down. This can be very unhandy on stages when two bands need to change their set-up quickly and roadies put your loose parts every where they want, but not in the cases.
          I have found that this is not the case (for me anyway). Having the drums on a rack allows me and one or two others to pick up ALL the drums and walk them off stage in less time than it takes the guitarist to move his rig. Once off stage, I take it apart at my own pace and put everything where it should be.

rus

------------------
          \oo/_ _\oo/

[This message has been edited by rus (edited January 17, 2001).]
          \oo/_ :mad: _\oo/

Comment

Originally posted by rus:
            Having the drums on a rack allows me and one or two others to pick up ALL the drums and walk them off stage
            Rus,

Sorry. I forgot that everything in the USA is big, biggers, biggest. We in Holland only have small cafes with many people packed on eachother and the christmas decoration close to the fire an small stages. So never was able to walk my rack off stage through a door (where always important people stay as well )
            Robert

Comment

Working...
            X