Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Trading in my Roland TD-8 for a TD-9 v.2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trading in my Roland TD-8 for a TD-9 v.2

Yes, I am trading in my Roland TD-8 for a TD-9 v.2 module. Am I doing the right thing? Are the sounds higher quality? Is it easier to use. Any downside? Thanks!

I can't speak for the TD8 as I have no experience of it but the TD9 is a great module with very good sounds, features and capabilities. The v2 adds new snare and bass sounds which are an improvement over v1. The v2 also allows access to 99 kits instead of only 50 in version 1.

Newer technology in the TD9 would seem to suggest improvements and advantages over the 8.

How about trading it in vs a TD15? Is that an option?

Comment

Yes the TD-9 has much better sounds, but you will lose the sliders, not that that's a big issue in most cases. The TD-15 is a good upgrade to the TD-9, but will cost you a fair amount more. However, the SuperNatural/behavior modeling performance functions are superior to the TD-9. I've owned them both.

In fact I have a brand new TD-15 I just purchased as part of a TD-15K kit that I have on eBay. They sell new for $1099. You can have mine for $790 plus shipping ($15). It's really new. PM if you are interested.
      ATV aDrums & aD5, Pearl Mimic Pro & DIY, eDRUMin 10, Agean R-series Silent Cymbals, Roland Handsonic HPD-20.

Comment

If you do go with the TD-9v2, I'd recommend budgeting a little extra for a VExpressions expansion pack.

I have a TD-9v2 with the VExpressions installed (the Master 50) and the difference compared to the standard kits is night and day. You could play the standard TD9 kits for a week or two and then buy a VExpressions pack and it will feel like you've upgraded again.

Rich.

Comment

And if you are really looking for better sounds, and have a computer around, spend the $100 or so to get something like Addictive drums, or another VST, and be in heaven. That way, you get to keep the TD8 with all of its inputs and the kit you have all setup already. Add in a $150 audio interface to improve latency.

Still a lot cheaper than a new module!
          DTX700, eDRUMin 4+10, A2E Dixon kit, Yamaha cymbals, FSR HH
          Kit Pix http://vdrums.com/forum/album.php?albumid=613

My new venture, HiEnd Speakers. : voglosounds.com

Comment

TD-9 is a good kit.
            Equipment: TD-30KV, DW9000 hardware, ROC-N-SOC Throne, Behringer ULTRATONE K3000FX Amp, JBL EON 615 Powered Speaker, Yamaha MG06X. 1965 Ludwig Super Classic. Black diamond pearl. Zildjian K Custom Dark cymbals, DW 7000 hardware, DW 9000 kick pedal.

Comment

Yes....I plan to add a VExpressions expansion pack to the TD-9 v.2 module. The are more expansion packs available for the TD-9 as well.

Comment

I had a TD-8 that died and upgraded to a TD-9 and there's no comparison. Newer technology (USB..etc) and much improved sounds. You do lose some functionality such as I believe the TD-8 does positional sensing on the snare, but you more than make up for it in sound quality. The suggestion to spring for VExpressions is dead on. Great bang for the buck.

Comment

Yep...TD9 is an awesome module/kit. Where's Saku when we need him?

K ;-)
                  My bands: Alter Ego, Arcanum
                  E Kit = Roland TDW-20s kit // Roland SPD-S// Pearl Demon Drives//
                  A Kit = Tama Swingstar 5 pc (1981) w/roto toms (orig owner!) //Zildjians
                  A Kit = Natal 6 pc with Paiste 2000 & Zildjian/MidiKNights/DrumSplitters

Comment

so how would and audio interface work with a td-8? Is it a matter of a dedicated laptop, addictive drums or other, and an interface all linked through midi cables?
                    E-kit: Roland td-8 VexPressions, DIY drums of various manufacturers custom wrap bum wrap, Krylon flat black hoops, Gen16's triggered, Addictive drums, QSC K-12, Roland SPD, jeredsystem bass drum lights. A-kit: Mapex Orion Classics, purple burl, gold plated lugs, Sabian Cymbals.

Comment

Lack of cymbal swells on TD9 bothers me... but maybe TD8 didn't have them either. The new modules have cymbal swells even on the lower end ones.
                      Yamaha DTX-502 / (3) PCY155 Cymbals / HH65 HH Pedal
                      Roland KD-9 Kick / DIY Snare (1 zone with DTX...)

Comment

Working...
                      X