Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mesh Heads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mesh Heads

I'm in need of a new 12" head for the snare on my TD-20. What's a better replacement than the regular roland heads or should I stick with the stock heads?
    Roland TD-20X, Pearl Demon Drives,
    Roland TD-10 Expanded ( At Studio )Axis Longboards
    Pearl Masters Custom MMX ,Axis Longboards (Natural Maple) A Custom Zildjians

Though more expensive than other mesh heads, to my knowledge, there's nothing better than Roland's stock heads. As long as you don't abuse them, they trigger and play well, and last a very long time.

Comment

Roland Heads 100%
      Roland TD-12 Ludwig A2E 5pc kit, VH-11
      Studio Drummer, Abbey Road 60's 70's 80's, AD2, SSD4, SD3
      Komplete Audio 6, JBL Eon 515XT, Mackie FX12, DAW Studio One 3

Comment

I can't believe the most important aspect of this subject hasn't come up:

You managed to wear out a Roland head? Yeah, it happens....like once every ten years.

If that's the case, what kind of sticks are you using because that's most likely the culprit.

The only reason to not go Roland is if you don't like their heads or are so scrimped for funds that you have to save $15, give or take, to find a cheaper alternative.

www.digitaldrummermag.com
        www.dauphinehotel.com
        TD-12, DTX502, SD1000, EZDrummer, Diamond Drum 12" snare, S1000 toms/cymbals/kick, PCY10/100/135/155, CY-5/14, Hart Ride, Hart Acupad 8" kick, Epedal Pro II, Concept 1 pads/cymbals, SD1000 & Roland V Sessions racks, PD-7, Kit Toy 10" splash, DMPad ride, SamplePad, PerformancePad Pro

Comment

Originally posted by grog View Post

You managed to wear out a Roland head? Yeah, it happens....like once every ten years.

If that's the case, what kind of sticks are you using because that's most likely the culprit.

The only reason to not go Roland is if you don't like their heads or are so scrimped for funds that you have to save $15, give or take, to find a cheaper alternative.

www.dauphinehotel.com

I agree 1000% You won't find better only a bit cheaper!.......Maybe, but only by about $12. Why bother?
          "It makes sense if you dont think about it"

Mimic Pro, SPD-SX, 2-QSC K-10s, K-sub, Yamaha mixer, and a bunch of other expensive cool things!

Comment

I like roland's heads for the snare (PD-125). Although I haven't tried Pintech's heads in a snare position they are absolutely fantastic on my toms (acoustic conversion kit). Rebound is superb and they are quiet.
            Last edited by bud7h4; 12-11-14, 06:45 PM.
            TD-30 module, PDP A2E (22, 16, 14, 12, 10), Quartz triggers,
            VH11 hi-hat, PD125 (snare), Roland cymbals, Peavey KB4 monitor, Audio-Technica ATH-M50
            Axis A21 Sabres, Axis A Longboards

Comment

There are lots of good meshes out there including z ed, 682, pintech reactions, etc, and some are 2 and 3 ply, not including pintech which is 1 ply only

Comment

The best thing to do is check out digitalDrummer's comprehensive "Head to Head" reviews that span over several issues to get accurate insight into how all the different heads that are available stack up including direct comparisons of characteristics and price point.

http://digitaldrummermag.com/BACK_ISSUES.html
                8 piece DIY Acrylic, 2x2Box DrumIt5, Gen16 4xDCP, DIY Acrylic&Gen16 Conversions, Sleishman Twin-QuadSteele hybrid, Gibraltar&DrumFrame rack, DW9502LB, Midi Knights Pro Lighting
                http://www.airbrushartists.org/DreamscapeAirbrushRealm

Comment

When it comes to mesh, I don't think there's a universal "best". There are so many options now, and they vary in price, durability, feel, rebound, noise level, colour, opacity, etc.
                  Of course, Roland dual-ply are excellent, but they are among the most expensive and not necessarily the quietest out there.
                  . digitalDrummer
                  Review index

Comment

Drum-tec Pro (black) and Drum-tec Design series (white) 2-ply.

Design series mesh heads can also be bought without any printed logo, for that clean look.
                    ◾ Diamond Drums 4pc in Di-Noc carbon ◾ MegaDRUM
                    ◾ Roland UA-1010 / cymbals / KT-10 (x2) ◾ Tama / Gibraltar hardware ◾ JBL LSR3 Series 2.1 Monitoring ◾ Pearl THMP-1
                    PA Comparison Sheet

Comment

Never tried any drum tec heads, how are they?

Comment

Dual ply Drum-tec is what I have on my snare -- not quite as quiet as the Remo/Roland mesh, but rebound is terrific.
                        TD-30++ (TD-30, Diamond Electronic Drums 14x5 snare+Ludwig Atlas Pro II, 2xPDX-8, 2xPDX-6, VH-11+Gibraltar 9607DL-LD, 2xCY-12C, CY-13R, KT-10) + DA200S, almost all on an MDS-4 and a bit on the floor.

Comment

Originally posted by grog View Post

www.dauphinehotel.com

First off, Show me where it says in my post that I wore out a Roland head. It does'nt, you simply ASSumed that. I've been playing on V-drums for at least 10 years and have yet to "wear out" a head. This particular head was damaged by my daughters 's boyfriends little sister ( 8 years old and she scrached it with a pen) It is perforated on the top mesh Why can't you juat answer a question that someone asks? Instead you imply that I am cheap and looking to save 15 bucks. I don't appreciate your sarcasm. As far as sticks go, I play with Regal tip 7A's with a nylon tip. I have replaced a roland head on my old TD-10 kit due to staining from the cork beaters on my Axis Longboards. The head was still good I am just picky when it comes to asthetics, It was black spotted and ugly. I just wanted to know if there was something out there that was better than the Roland heads. Go have some Grog and a couple of Valium and relax. I was just asking a simple question. If you feel the need to insult people do it to thier face and not from behind a keyboard!!!
                          Last edited by rotten; 12-11-14, 07:17 AM.
                          Roland TD-20X, Pearl Demon Drives,
                          Roland TD-10 Expanded ( At Studio )Axis Longboards
                          Pearl Masters Custom MMX ,Axis Longboards (Natural Maple) A Custom Zildjians

Comment

Easy there rotten,

I didn't read grog's comment the way you did.

There's a lot lost in translation from what comes up in our head, how we write it, how it's read, and what comes up in the head of the reader.

Lots of suggestions in the replies, including a visit to DigitalDrummer for a "Head 2 Head" comparison of prices, rebound and noise.
                            I, for one, would probably stay with Roland if I had been playing for 10 year on the same snare head. You've now developed a habit with the rebound and feel from Roland's head, so you might just want to get a new one.

Buying another brand will mean adjusting to new feelings, and if you don't like it, you'll end up buying a Roland anyway later... and paid for an extra mesh head. Could be a good thing though... you'd have a spare!
                            DTX700, eDRUMin 4+10, A2E Dixon kit, Yamaha cymbals, FSR HH
                            Kit Pix http://vdrums.com/forum/album.php?albumid=613

My new venture, HiEnd Speakers. : voglosounds.com

Comment

What perceval said. Sheesh, that was a lot of reading between the lines when the space between the lines was blank.

To repeat something you (rotten) said in the reply, I was just asking a simple question: did you wear out a Roland mesh head. Okay, it was couched somewhat rhetorically but the point was to determine the environment in which your Roland heads were used.

And I did provide an answer, that being, unless there are other economic factors to consider, stick with Roland. Lord knows we've fielded tons of questions here over the last ten years about people looking to save money on edrum purchases and what compromises they might have to make in doing so and that was the context of my reply.

"Better" as outlined above by others, is always a word fraught with peril when discussing gear. In many cases, as is the case here, "better" as a blanket word isn't really the best way to phrase the question since what I think what most people want to know is "how do these mesh heads differ?" Because "better" for you might take into account different factors that other people wouldn't consider making such-and-such a head "better".

www.dauphinehotel.com
                              TD-12, DTX502, SD1000, EZDrummer, Diamond Drum 12" snare, S1000 toms/cymbals/kick, PCY10/100/135/155, CY-5/14, Hart Ride, Hart Acupad 8" kick, Epedal Pro II, Concept 1 pads/cymbals, SD1000 & Roland V Sessions racks, PD-7, Kit Toy 10" splash, DMPad ride, SamplePad, PerformancePad Pro

Comment

Working...
                              X