Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who layers sounds from multiple modules and mixes them together?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who layers sounds from multiple modules and mixes them together?

I love to layer sounds along with my Roland module sounds. I just midi up a synth and mix them using a cheapo mixer. I currently have a EMU planet drum that's great for this. Often I use pitched sounds as well as a lot of percussive sounds. Sometimes I take the time to program scales or notes that work together. I'm looking to get something else to add in as I'm getting kind of bored of the emu sounds and am seeking some suggestions.

My main requirements:
    1 or 2 rack spaces, or just small if not rack format.
    Can make weird sounds - not just a GM soundset
    Must be multitimbral - mono synths don't work well for this.
    Fun to tweak easily because sometimes I just spin knobs while playing.
    Something I could find a good ebay deal on that was a few year's ago's hot model.

I've been thinking about a Yamaha Motif rack. I've also been eying the Musebox but their rumored drum version never seems to get anywhere. Probably I should just use softsynths. But I kind of like the feel of hardware. Computers are just too much like work for me. (cause they are my work!)

BTW, if you don't currently do this, you should buy yourself a $2 midi cable and try it!! Even if all you have to midi to is a cheap piano. First its a lot of fun. But also it can totally change how you approach playing drums, as it did for me.

Thanks!
    -Bill

I have a Alesis DM Pro I'm selling. It's a rack mounted unit.
    Deacon Daniell
    http://bleedingdeacons.com/
    http://adventuresinmodernrecording.com/index.html

Comment

Tempting. I ill think about that

For the moment I'm using my ipad and a PUC midi interface. A lot of fun. But eventually I think I'll get better responsiveness from a hardware synth.

Comment

Got any videos of this?

K
        My bands: Alter Ego, Arcanum
        E Kit = Roland TDW-20s kit // Roland SPD-S// Pearl Demon Drives//
        A Kit = Tama Swingstar 5 pc (1981) w/roto toms (orig owner!) //Zildjians
        A Kit = Natal 6 pc with Paiste 2000 & Zildjian/MidiKNights/DrumSplitters

Comment

Thinking of blending my TD-30 with the 2Box... the samples I have on the 2Box, Roland's triggering. Sweet!

Comment

Originally posted by Tazed View Post
            Thinking of blending my TD-30 with the 2Box... the samples I have on the 2Box, Roland's triggering. Sweet!
            That's already more expensive than most people's entire kits lol.
            ◾ Diamond Drums 4pc in Di-Noc carbon ◾ MegaDRUM
            ◾ Roland UA-1010 / cymbals / KT-10 (x2) ◾ Tama / Gibraltar hardware ◾ JBL LSR3 Series 2.1 Monitoring ◾ Pearl THMP-1
            PA Comparison Sheet

Comment

The 2 box solution is interesting. I need to research them a bit more. Was also thinking about yamaha motif synths. Or just setting up an old laptop and triggering soft synths and sample libs,

Maybe I'll shoot some vids soon of what I do with this crap!

Comment

I layered my 2Box and TD30. Sure did make the TD30 sound a lot better. Once I dumped the 30 and got another 2Box I still continue to blend them at my console, especially the kick. However you sure can tailor a nice snare this way too with double the tone samples
                8 piece DIY Acrylic, 2x2Box DrumIt5, Gen16 4xDCP, DIY Acrylic&Gen16 Conversions, Sleishman Twin-QuadSteele hybrid, Gibraltar&DrumFrame rack, DW9502LB, Midi Knights Pro Lighting
                http://www.airbrushartists.org/DreamscapeAirbrushRealm

Comment

I have always found one module is just too thin sounding. I've been using the TM2 to bolster my TD30 kick & floor toms. Just bought the TD15 as an e-kit for Church. Turns out that the acoustic kit still suits Church far better, so the 15 is going to get blended into my studio, replacing the TM2. LOVE the idea of blending the 2Box with TD30...great sounds, expandability AND fast triggering....hmmmmm, maybe the 15 ends up on eBay? ....we'll see....
                  eDrums: Roland TD50KV plus TD25 module & additional Roland pads. Superior Drummer 2. Octapad II & SPD-SX pads. DW 5000 hardware, Boss DR670. Acoustics: DW Performance kit, DW Black Nickel/Brass snare, Zildjian K's & A's, Ludwig Classic Maples (circa 1970s).

Comment

Working...
                  X