Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Alesis sample pad pro

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alesis sample pad pro

http://www.alesis.com/samplepad-pro

Hi folks

Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

Cheaper alternative to the expensive roland and yamaha offerings maybe?

I must admit it does look good.(Tron?) Kenny.I know some of these things are sometimes limited to a global midi channel setting, or even just ch 10. It might not be an issue but worth looking in the manual about.

Comment

My Sample Pad is locked to channel 10 but has not been a problem so far.
      I have not needed more than 5 samples (has 1 insert) so far.
      I even use it to control a few DMX lights while drumming.
      Not sure if I would have spent the extra $100 if it would have been available at the time I got the 4 pad.
      It does work great for what I use it for.
      "It makes sense if you dont think about it"

Mimic Pro, SPD-SX, 2-QSC K-10s, K-sub, Yamaha mixer, and a bunch of other expensive cool things!

Comment

Originally posted by airflamesred View Post
        I must admit it does look good.(Tron?) Kenny.I know some of these things are sometimes limited to a global midi channel setting, or even just ch 10. It might not be an issue but worth looking in the manual about.
        on the users guide download look like global midi but not limited to channel 10, but 1 to 16.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris K View Post

on the users guide download look like global midi but not limited to channel 10, but 1 to 16.
          Im interested to know if i can use my td9 sounds on the multipad. Ideally id like to use fixed sounds from my td9, and when i change kits on my td9 the sounds on the multipad dont change. Think this multipad would do that?

Comment

Originally posted by KennyinDundee View Post

Im interested to know if i can use my td9 sounds on the multipad. Ideally id like to use fixed sounds from my td9, and when i change kits on my td9 the sounds on the multipad dont change. Think this multipad would do that?
            I am not clear if you are saying "you need the Multipad to trigger some sounds in your TD-9", or "you want to copy some of the TD-9 sounds and put them in the Multipad".
            I am not familiar with the Midi implementation of the TD-9, which you need to know if you want to trigger some of it's sounds, and not be affected by Kit Program Changes.
            It would be much simpler and easier to just sample the sounds you like on the TD-9, and load them into the multipad (Sample Pad or SPD-S or Yamaha M12). Then kit changes on the TD-9 would not be an issue.

Comment

I'd like the multi pad to trigger td9 sounds, but I'm looking for a way for those sounds not to change when I change td9 kits on my td9. Does that make sense?

Comment

I'd like the multi pad to trigger td9 sounds, but I'm looking for a way for those sounds not to change when I change td9 kits on my td9. Does that make sense?

Yes & no.
                As long as the midi notes stay the same on each pad on each kit as you change kits on the TD9 it will be fine. You can change midi #s for each pad in each kit on the 9 as you want.
                Where the only problem would start would be if you wanted to use a midi sound on a pad on the 9 and used the same sound on the Sample Pad.
                To trigger percussion sounds on the 9 you have to use channel 11. If you wanted to just trigger sounds on the Sample Pad you could change channels on the 9 and not have to double up on any percussion sounds.
                Changing some midi #s in some kits may have a bad effect if the sound on the kit uses a percussion set sound. Also internal songs on the 9 could get messed up as well.
                If you are just looking to add 8 more pads to hit with sounds form the 9 Vectron's solution makes more sense to me.
                Why do you want to use the TD9 sounds on the Sample Pad?
                You can record or import better sounds on the Sample Pad than the 9 has in it.
                The TD9 is great you can do so much with it, That is why I still use mine along with my TD30.

Mimic Pro, SPD-SX, 2-QSC K-10s, K-sub, Yamaha mixer, and a bunch of other expensive cool things!

Comment

I think he means he wants the Sample Pad to trigger the TD9 via midi (not import the TD9 sounds into the Sample Pad). He's looking for a way to trigger certain sounds in the TD9 using the Sample Pad. Then when changing the kit on the TD9, he wants to retain the sounds that the Sample Pad was assigned to. (In other words if a cowbell is assigned to pad 1 on the SamplePad, it stays a cowbell no matter what kit the TD9 is selected to.) That sounds like a great idea, but IMHO as soon as you change the TD9 kit, the new kit has different sounds assigned to each of the MIDI note numbers. I think the only way around this is to individually customize your TD9 kits to match up with the Sample Pad by selecting MIDI note values for the Sample Pad that are not typically used in the TD9 kits. That way the kits in the TD9 will remain the same, while you dedicate a different set of MIDI note values to the Sample Pad. I hope I've made sense.
                  ATV aDrums & aD5, Pearl Mimic Pro & DIY, eDRUMin 10, Agean R-series Silent Cymbals, Roland Handsonic HPD-20.

Comment

Originally posted by jpsquared482 View Post

I think he means he wants the Sample Pad to trigger the TD9 via midi (not import the TD9 sounds into the Sample Pad). He's looking for a way to trigger certain sounds in the TD9 using the Sample Pad. Then when changing the kit on the TD9, he wants to retain the sounds that the Sample Pad was assigned to. (In other words if a cowbell is assigned to pad 1 on the SamplePad, it stays a cowbell no matter what kit the TD9 is selected to.) That sounds like a great idea, but IMHO as soon as you change the TD9 kit, the new kit has different sounds assigned to each of the MIDI note numbers. I think the only way around this is to individually customize your TD9 kits to match up with the Sample Pad by selecting MIDI note values for the Sample Pad that are not typically used in the TD9 kits. That way the kits in the TD9 will remain the same, while you dedicate a different set of MIDI note values to the Sample Pad. I hope I've made sense.

Yeah, that's pretty much what I was saying just in a different way. It can be done but why the hassle?
                    Why use midi sounds when you can load it with wav's which sound better?
                    You can find most any sound you want on the web or make your own. Even convert mp3 to wav if needed.

Comment

Meh....2 samples (layers) on each pad....no thanks. The 2Box has spoiled me.
                      8 piece DIY Acrylic, 2x2Box DrumIt5, Gen16 4xDCP, DIY Acrylic&Gen16 Conversions, Sleishman Twin-QuadSteele hybrid, Gibraltar&DrumFrame rack, DW9502LB, Midi Knights Pro Lighting
                      http://www.airbrushartists.org/DreamscapeAirbrushRealm

Comment

why even spend $299 for the new sample pad pro, if you could find an old Roland Octapad 8 or Octapad-80, you could trigger sounds from your TD-9 to these pad using MIDI notes. I've done before with my TD-10.

Comment

Intrude, can you please check and see if your sample pad [4 pads version] can play loops like Roland SPD-S or SPD-SX? thanks.

Comment

It's a simple machine hit a pad it plays the sound on that pad. If you hit the pad again before the sound completes it starts at the beginning again.
                            No looping between pads but you could record a loop as a single sound (if less than about 14 seconds long) or 1mb or less in size.
                            Limits I can live with for the price. Any looping could be done with vst's and / or a DAW which is what I do.

Comment

Originally posted by fulrmr(Daniel) View Post
                              Meh....2 samples (layers) on each pad....no thanks. The 2Box has spoiled me.

It seems like you were spoiled long before that!!!! LOL

Comment

Working...
                              X