Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Head tension

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Head tension

Maybe i've been doing this wrong all along so I thought i'd get some advice from the pros. When replacing heads I know they can have too much tension shortening the life of the head. What's the best way to know how tight is tight enough? I usually tighten a head until I can still depress the head slightly with a little finger pressure. Is this sufficient or is there a better way?

Tony

I tighten them to about the same tension I prefer to have on an acoustic head.

It's all about your personal preference and style.

Comment

Head tension IMHO is extremely important, and like most things it depends on your priorities. Here are some of my observations:

Too tight:
      -provides more bounce than an acoustic (better or worse depending on what you want),
      -reduces "hot spots" because the head can't depress as deeply in the center.
      -it can increase the life of triggers' foam. I found this to be true with my Pintech foams which are softer.

Too loose:
      -feels more like an acoustic
      -increases hot spots
      -can reduce the life of triggers' foam

My choice is to tighten them up because I prefer to minimize hot spots (yes there are strategies to reduce them in the module, but in my opinion it all starts with a tighter head). I also have no problem with the extra bounce. It's not "cheating" on your acoustics; you're just playing a different instrument. Why not use its benefits?
      ATV aDrums & aD5, Pearl Mimic Pro & DIY, eDRUMin 10, Agean R-series Silent Cymbals, Roland Handsonic HPD-20.

Comment

Sadly, there was a recent, and good, thread on this subject that was lost during the move. The end opinion was most tune their larger pads to about 1.5-2 turns from finger tight. Smaller pads, 2.0-2.5. Roland manual states at least 1.5 turns after finger tightening. I always go more to save my cones.
        Alan
        ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        website | youtube | facebook | group | newsletter | message | recommendations

Comment

I Like mine tighter also. As you suggest Alan, I tightened mine about 2 1/4 turns (snare) and it seems pretty responsive. I'm using a Pintech to replace a Hart Dynamics head. Its the Hart head that actually made me question my tension as it didn't last long enough for the water to get hot. I popped through the head right in the center. It was pretty frayed and i shouldn't have been playing on it. So far I'm impressed with the Pintech head.

Comment

I found that too loose gives a trampoline effect (this is on Roland heads), it is this weird slow bounce that makes playing harder, doing doubles on that was driving me crazy. Tightening up a smidge increased playability for me by giving a faster lesser bounce, but I haven't played around with over-tightening to see what that feels like.
            Mini-kit: TD-9 + Alesis Control Pad + Alesis Sample Pad + PDX-6 snare
            Micro-kit: Handsonic HPD-20 + an old pair of hands.
            Speakers: QSC-K10 "thumper", DBR-10 "little thumper"

Comment

Originally posted by kurth83 View Post
              I found that too loose gives a trampoline effect.
              Agree with that. In fact, that was my initial concern moving to Roland. Ratcheting down the heads definitely helped that.

Comment

I like my mesh heads just like my women tight!
                Mine have been finger tight + maybe 6 or more turns. No problems for 2 years or so.
                "It makes sense if you dont think about it"

Mimic Pro, SPD-SX, 2-QSC K-10s, K-sub, Yamaha mixer, and a bunch of other expensive cool things!

Comment

Wow that's really cranking them, but better. Tight than loose!

Comment

It's hard to overtighten a head. Here's what happened when I "overtightened" a Hart head:
                    . digitalDrummer
                    Review index

Comment

Wow , those hart heads are tough, I guess! On my a to e 12 13 14 16 and 20 kick, I crank them about 2 and one half complete turns. T he poster who said he cranks 6 turns after finger tightness. Is that half turns or complete revolutions ?

Comment

Originally posted by hemiboy View Post
                        Wow , those hart heads are tough, I guess! On my a to e 12 13 14 16 and 20 kick, I crank them about 2 and one half complete turns. T he poster who said he cranks 6 turns after finger tightness. Is that half turns or complete revolutions ?

You Know, after thinking about it I think those would be half turns so that makes it about 3. About the same as a few others posted. Sorry if I misled anyone.
                        "It makes sense if you dont think about it"

Mimic Pro, SPD-SX, 2-QSC K-10s, K-sub, Yamaha mixer, and a bunch of other expensive cool things!

Comment

I'd be interested in what others think about not just tightening mesh, but actually "tuning" it. I apply the same principles to mesh as I do to acoustics, simply listen to the tone at about 1" from each lug and get a close match. It doesn't have to be just right, but I find it's beneficial for optimal positional sensing to get lug tension even across the drum, at least close. Anyone else?
                          ATV aDrums & aD5, Pearl Mimic Pro & DIY, eDRUMin 10, Agean R-series Silent Cymbals, Roland Handsonic HPD-20.

Comment

I don't have positional sensing with 2 box , but I just bought a drum dial and after my second tightening( it was suggested that the heads would loosen after the first tightening) I "tuned" them appropriately. I tightened them to a 65 setting which was aboutt 2 full turns of the drum key

Comment

I don't have positional sensing with 2 box , but I just bought a drum dial and after my second tightening( it was suggested that the heads would loosen after the first tightening) I "tuned" them appropriately. I tightened them to a 65 setting which was about 2 full turns of the drum key. Tjey feel better than my old heads ever did, and now I know that my old heads were never tuned evenly! Live and learn, I guess

Comment

Working...
                              X