Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone tried the Alesis TransActive 400?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone tried the Alesis TransActive 400?

Another thread in my ongoing quest to find some edrum amplification that suits my needs!

So earlier this year at NAMM, Alesis announced a new product in their "TransActive" range, the TransActive 400: http://alesis.com/transactive-400
    Not to be confused with the TransActive Drummer that was released a few years ago, which was a 50w cabinet that had a 10 inch woofer and a 1 inch tweeter: http://alesis.com/transactivedrummer

The TransActive 400 a 200w continuous (400w peak, which I guess is where they got the 400 in the name from) cabinet with a 12 inch woofer and a 1 inch tweeter.

The product has been available for several months now, so it's still fairly new, but I can't find any reviews or opinions on it at all (on a side note, reviews and coverage of edrums and amps in particular is really, really poor. I'm used to all relevant sites and publications being all over new products, especially consumer electronics, within weeks of the release, but this simply isn't the case with edrums. digitalDrummer is really one of the only reliable sources for this kind of thing but even that is only released quarterly).

I'm mainly interested in this because it seems to be close in specs to the Simmons DA200S (which many users on these forums rate pretty highly) and the KAT KA2. Unlike the DA200S however, the TransActive 400 is actually available to buy in Australia, and unlike the KA2, it's not absurdly overpriced.

As usual though, none of my local music stores stock them, although other stores that are not close by do. I know Alesis products in general have a bit of a reputation of being more on the lower end of the quality scale, but every now and then they do get it right, so I was really wondering if anyone out there has had a chance to play with one of these and provide your impressions on it.

Anyone had a chance to check it out?

This is almost a year old but no replys.
    I'm looking for a monitor/speaker that I could use as an on stage personal monitor AND in rehearsals. I also have 15" JBL EONSub which I can use to fill in some extra low end especially in rehearsals. The price of Transactive 400 seems to be pretty low at Thomann http://www.thomann.de/fi/alesis_tran...043c1780a908b4 That's why I was getting really interested on it. Does anyone have any experiences to share on this product?

Comment

Here's my take. 200 watts (with occasional 400 watt peaks) is barely enough to support e-drums. And really, why muck around with a small player in PA systems (Alesis) when there are plenty of market leading companies that have years of experience doing this? Here's what I'd do in your situation. Grab a JBL powered cabinet (12 inch woofer and horn-loaded tweeter, with around 1000 to 1,500 watts of power built-in). Or, consider similar cabinets (with similar specs and power) from QSC, Yamaha, and Mackie. I'm using QSC KW12 cabinets, which are a 12 and horn with built-in, bi-amped power of 1000 watts. These work great, but are a little on the pricey side. You can get a reasonably powered Yamaha or JBL cabinet for around $600 to $700 USD. Purpose built amps generally don't work well for e-drums, even when they're specifically for e-drums. Go with a proper and appropriately powered PA cabinet - yes, for your own monitoring or FOH.

Comment

I have one. It was fine at mellower gigs, and great for home practice. At full-volume shows, it was ok for drums, but once I piped in the PA feed, it quickly became overwhelmed. As inexpensive as it was, I feel like it was a good buy, but I do need a much more powerful monitor for the loud shows.
        Sonor Safari A to E-Sparkly Red w/2Box and Roland TD15
        Pearl Reference-Purple Haze (for sale)
        Ludwig Classic Maple-Blue Olive Oyster
        Medicine Man Custom Maple-Tangerine Glitter Glass:p

Comment

Thanks guys.
          I'm just about pulling a trigger to Alto TS115 powered speaker. German company drum-tec claim it to be the best one for edrums in the price range. And I really think these guys know what they are doing when it comes to edrums.

http://www.drum-tec.de/alto-ts115-vi...em-p-1700.html

Comment

Originally posted by Espen View Post
            Thanks guys.
            I'm just about pulling a trigger to Alto TS115 powered speaker. German company drum-tec claim it to be the best one for edrums in the price range. And I really think these guys know what they are doing when it comes to edrums.

http://www.drum-tec.de/alto-ts115-vi...em-p-1700.html
            You could do a lot worse than the Altos, they seem to be reasonably good - however you may want to get two to run them in stereo, or run one connected to a sub. I was considering the Altos at one point too but I eventually went with a pair of ex demo JBL Eon 515XT's.

Comment

I think the Alto TS115 is exceptional value, I'd be worried turning them up past 75% though. I heard the Yamaha DXR15 is the "next" best value PA for shear power.
              ◾ Diamond Drums 4pc in Di-Noc carbon ◾ MegaDRUM
              ◾ Roland UA-1010 / cymbals / KT-10 (x2) ◾ Tama / Gibraltar hardware ◾ JBL LSR3 Series 2.1 Monitoring ◾ Pearl THMP-1
              PA Comparison Sheet

Comment

Originally posted by White_Pointer View Post

You could do a lot worse than the Altos, they seem to be reasonably good - however you may want to get two to run them in stereo, or run one connected to a sub. I was considering the Altos at one point too but I eventually went with a pair of ex demo JBL Eon 515XT's.
                Yes, I could fit only one into my budget this time but perhaps I will buy another one later if needed. I believe one is enough for a personal stage monitor in a live show anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Kabonfaiba View Post

I think the Alto TS115 is exceptional value, I'd be worried turning them up past 75% though. I heard the Yamaha DXR15 is the "next" best value PA for shear power.
                  I read some stories about blown woofers and I think one reason could be that they have turned the volume knob into MIC area. In Alto it is made so that at 12 o'klock it changes from line ro mic input which is pretty weird and I definetely need to take care NOT doing that mistake.

Comment

Originally posted by Kabonfaiba View Post

The Yamaha DXR15 is exceptional and a higher price point. I have 1 and it was around $750. It has a lot more low end than any other 2 way 15" speaker under $1000. I have used it to amplify my acoustic kick in an 80 person room. The sound quality is excellent too.

The Eon is great for the price. It has a bit less power and low end.

Comment

Working...
                    X