Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help choosing a studio monitor please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help choosing a studio monitor please

Hey guys, I need help choosing the right studio monitor.

I don't need anything professional / expensive equipments as I use my e-drum at home for practice and recording at times for fun .

Would this be an OK monitors for my case?
    http://www.amazon.com/Mackie-CR3-Cre...studio+monitor

I could spend more to get better ones, but not really sure if it's worth it as I have no experience with studio monitors.
    Any comments on the monitor or other recommendations, or tips on what to look for when buying monitors would be great!

thanks

You need to give us a budget first, otherwise advising is very difficult.
    *** MIDI IN: good. Cable snake: bad ***
    Yamaha & Roland modules. DTX,TM-2, EC-10, EC10m, SP-404. Multi12. TrapKat. ControlPads. Octapad, SamplePad, Wavedrum. Handsonic. Dynacord RhythmStick. MPC. Paiste 2002/Signatures. Cajons. Djembes. Darbuka. Windsynth. MIDI Bass. Tenori-on. Zoom ARQ. Synths. Ukes.

Comment

Originally posted by electrodrummer View Post
      You need to give us a budget first, otherwise advising is very difficult.

I don't have specific budget, but if I have to choose I would like to keep it below 300$.
      It's no brainer that 300$ monitors are way better than 100$ ones, but I am just wondering if that is a necessary investment for a home practice/recording set up?

Comment

You could read some reviews of the Mackies, but chances are they aren't bad at all.

You know that small SM's are very directional and close-range right? You have to sit right in front of them and aim them at your ears.

I have a set of M-Audio 4" monitors, I bought little wooden stands for them so they could be at arm's length aimed at each of my ears.
        That plus a small sub and I get decent sound. They won't go super loud, but they don't have to at 2.5' away.
        Mini-kit: TD-9 + Alesis Control Pad + Alesis Sample Pad + PDX-6 snare
        Micro-kit: Handsonic HPD-20 + an old pair of hands.
        Speakers: QSC-K10 "thumper", DBR-10 "little thumper"

Comment

Originally posted by kurth83 View Post
          You could read some reviews of the Mackies, but chances are they aren't bad at all.

You know that small SM's are very directional and close-range right? You have to sit right in front of them and aim them at your ears.

I have a set of M-Audio 4" monitors, I bought little wooden stands for them so they could be at arm's length aimed at each of my ears.
          That plus a small sub and I get decent sound. They won't go super loud, but they don't have to at 2.5' away.

I see thanks for the good info, I had no idea that SM's are very directional & close range. I will keep that in mind.

Comment

What about headphones? You will get more bang for your money that way
            Roland TD30 module on TD20 kit SD3 with various kits. Pearl Masters Kit, Yamaha 9000RC original natural wood finish. Cymbals from Zildgian Pasite and Sabian. Loads of percussion bits. Cubase and Wavelab always current versions.

Comment

FYI, the bigger monitors have more range, but they are still directional. They are intended to be used in a big sound dampened room with a mixing console in the middle of the room where the two speaker lines meet. That setup can accommodate a few listeners, and is used both to mix and to sell demos given the amazing sound they can produce.

On the subject of headphones, many of us learned the hard way that mixing drum kits into headphones often doesn't produce good results in a PA. I practice exclusively in cans, but when I am mixing kits for a gig, I only use speakers. Interestingly, kits built for speakers generally sound fine in cans but the other way around doesn't hold up as well.
              Mini-kit: TD-9 + Alesis Control Pad + Alesis Sample Pad + PDX-6 snare
              Micro-kit: Handsonic HPD-20 + an old pair of hands.
              Speakers: QSC-K10 "thumper", DBR-10 "little thumper"

Comment

Originally posted by mkok View Post
                What about headphones? You will get more bang for your money that way

I have a decent headphone that I've been using for about 2 years now, I thought it was about time that my e-drum deserves some monitors of its own

Comment

Kurth, what price range would you consider to be a decent sized monitor for a home studio recording? any recommendations?

Comment

tkdrum,

Nobody asked but, Are you looking for studio monitors or an amplified speaker for your drum kit?
                    There is a difference.
                    If just for the drums then Simmons or Kat have some great bang for buck choices.
                    "It makes sense if you dont think about it"

Mimic Pro, SPD-SX, 2-QSC K-10s, K-sub, Yamaha mixer, and a bunch of other expensive cool things!

Comment

There is a sticky in the on stage section that discusses speakers and amplifiers that might be helpful.
                      Equipment: TD-30KV, DW9000 hardware, ROC-N-SOC Throne, Behringer ULTRATONE K3000FX Amp, JBL EON 615 Powered Speaker, Yamaha MG06X. 1965 Ludwig Super Classic. Black diamond pearl. Zildjian K Custom Dark cymbals, DW 7000 hardware, DW 9000 kick pedal.

Comment

Originally posted by Intruder View Post
                        tkdrum,

Nobody asked but, Are you looking for studio monitors or an amplified speaker for your drum kit?
                        There is a difference.
                        If just for the drums then Simmons or Kat have some great bang for buck choices.
                        I was going for an amp at first but I read somewhere that amps are for stages that needs lots of power, whereas studio monitors are for indoor that focus on delivering clean and accurate sound which sounds like it's the right choice for me. It is mainly just for drums but I might be playing mp3 at times for recording drum covers just for fun .
                        Last edited by tkdrum; 10-27-14, 09:35 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jimorlando View Post
                          There is a sticky in the on stage section that discusses speakers and amplifiers that might be helpful.

Thanks Jim, I will definitely check it out

Comment

I think most here got stuck trying to advise you because of your semantic.

Clearly, you are not looking at studio monitors (the kind used when mixing tracks, blending the instruments and vocals together to create a song).

You want to hear an MP3 file and your drums as you play along. That is e-drum amplification.

Those little studio monitors you linked will NOT do a good job for what you want. The Simmons or KAT are better suited, yet still very basic.

Remember that you will need to crank the volume quite a bit to hear the music and the drum sounds over the noise coming from your sticks hitting pads. Unless you are living in a very tolerable environment, most of us can't play at those volumes.

I suggest sticking with headphones, or better yet, IEMs, to play along. IEMs are much more comfortable, and allow you to even lower the sounds coming through to your ears as they block the outside noise very well.
                            DTX700, eDRUMin 4+10, A2E Dixon kit, Yamaha cymbals, FSR HH
                            Kit Pix http://vdrums.com/forum/album.php?albumid=613

My new venture, HiEnd Speakers. : voglosounds.com

Comment

Originally posted by perceval View Post
                              I think most here got stuck trying to advise you because of your semantic.

Clearly, you are not looking at studio monitors (the kind used when mixing tracks, blending the instruments and vocals together to create a song).

You want to hear an MP3 file and your drums as you play along. That is e-drum amplification.

Those little studio monitors you linked will NOT do a good job for what you want. The Simmons or KAT are better suited, yet still very basic.

Remember that you will need to crank the volume quite a bit to hear the music and the drum sounds over the noise coming from your sticks hitting pads. Unless you are living in a very tolerable environment, most of us can't play at those volumes.

I suggest sticking with headphones, or better yet, IEMs, to play along. IEMs are much more comfortable, and allow you to even lower the sounds coming through to your ears as they block the outside noise very well.

thanks for clearing that up perceval, you are probably right.

When you say Simmons or KAT do you mean amps like these ones?
                              http://www.amazon.com/KAT-Percussion...words=kat+drum
                              &
                              http://www.amazon.com/Simmons-DA50-E...s=simmons+drum

Comment

Working...
                              X