Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wood or Nylon tips

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wood or Nylon tips

I didn't want to hijack the SD5 thread but some did bring up an interesting topic (maybe it's been discussed here before). What drumstick tips do you prefer and why?

I've been using nylon because I thought I read somewhere that they were easier on mesh heads but maybe I'm all wrong (it's been known to happen).

Your thoughts.....

Everything I have read says do not use wood tips on mesh heads because any splintering on the tips will damage mesh.
    TD-6 Vexed... TD-12 vexed .... hard at work on an A to E conversion and pretty sure that will never end till i do.....lol

Comment

Yep...there was a thread on this exact topic....maybe it got lost in the update. But yes, generally agreed no wood tips on mesh heads. Ok on rubber tho.
      I use nylon tips on both my A and E kits. I've always preferred nylon for cymbal work on A kits, and am not fond of the way wood tips come apart on A kits. Just my preference.

K ;-)
      My bands: Alter Ego, Arcanum
      E Kit = Roland TDW-20s kit // Roland SPD-S// Pearl Demon Drives//
      A Kit = Tama Swingstar 5 pc (1981) w/roto toms (orig owner!) //Zildjians
      A Kit = Natal 6 pc with Paiste 2000 & Zildjian/MidiKNights/DrumSplitters

Comment

I've been using wood (wait, that don't sound right) on my E-kit going on two years with zero issues. I've avoided nylon because, way back in the day (25+ years ago), whenever I used nylon tip on my acoustic set, they always came off, I didn't realize until too late, and mutilated my skins.

Comment

Glad I picked nylon. I think the Vic Firth tips stay on.
          Equipment: TD-30KV, DW9000 hardware, ROC-N-SOC Throne, Behringer ULTRATONE K3000FX Amp, JBL EON 615 Powered Speaker, Yamaha MG06X. 1965 Ludwig Super Classic. Black diamond pearl. Zildjian K Custom Dark cymbals, DW 7000 hardware, DW 9000 kick pedal.

Comment

Wood for me as I prefer the feel on mesh and cymbals. I've been using wood on mesh for over two years and no problems yet.

Comment

Used nylon tips back in the days. Acoustics and Electronics.
              I too, read about the splinting of wooden tips that would break the mesh heads. So I kept the nylons.

Moved to wooden tips a while back because I can't get nylon tips in the place I live now. Haven't had any problem. Feels good to.

Never had a wooden tip to crack, but I've had plenty of nylon tips that broke and popped off.

So, I'll stick to wooden tips.
              DTX700, eDRUMin 4+10, A2E Dixon kit, Yamaha cymbals, FSR HH
              Kit Pix http://vdrums.com/forum/album.php?albumid=613

My new venture, HiEnd Speakers. : voglosounds.com

Comment

I hate wood tips, I shatter them and don't like how they sound/feel on cymbals. I used to get a bad batch on nylon back in the 80's that would come off, but I don't have any issues now. And you can always re-glue them on anyway.
                TD50 Digital Pack, TD30 and TD9 Modules, custom made pads, Gen16 crashes, and hats plus a few other things that I'm not sure what to do with or why they're still in my kit. Bands: Espada http://www.musicaespada.com/ and JamCo https://www.facebook.com/JamcoEntertainment, https://www.jamcoband.com/

Comment

I have never had a nylon tip come off a wooden stick.
                  I have had tips come off aluminum (ahead) sticks. Expensive and not worth the price!
                  Imagine a aluminum threaded bare tip (nylon tips screw on) would do to a drum head mesh or otherwise.
                  The ahead's are also like using telephone poles they are very heavy.
                  "It makes sense if you dont think about it"

Mimic Pro, SPD-SX, 2-QSC K-10s, K-sub, Yamaha mixer, and a bunch of other expensive cool things!

Comment

Wood tips for me, regardless of whether I'm playing an acoustic or electric kit. I hate the feel of nylons.

Comment

Purely a personal choice!

Comment

I use Vic Firth's with nylon tips. Perhaps it's my imagination, but I could've sworn that my wood tipped sticks leave more marks on the Roland cymbals, so I use nylons exclusively. One thing I did notice when I bought my last set of Vic's is that the tips had some slight burrs on them which I imagined might snag on the mesh, so to be extra conservative I smoothed them down with some very fine grit sandpaper. I've had absolutely no issues -- my mesh heads look as good as new ones.
                        TD30 | PD-128S, PD-128, (2) PD-108, PD-120 | KD-120 | (2) CY15R, (2) CY14C, CY13R, CY12C, VH11 | MDS-25 rack | DW3000 double bass pedal | DW3000 HH stand | roc-n-soc nitro throne | Audio Technica ATH-M40x

Comment

I think its fair to say....different strokes for different folks....no pun intended! :-)

Comment

Yeah, brother!

Comment

been using wood for 2 yrs on my kit and haven't broke a head yet,,,,,

Comment

Working...
                              X