Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Video camera

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Video camera

Anyone have any recommendations for recording myself playing? What I want, what I really, really want, as the spice girls famously said, is to use a lead from my soundcard into the camera, rather than using the mic on the camera.
    Thanks in advance.

You mean "record yourself playing", THE DRUMS, right? Just making sure. Lol. Get it?

Any good HD camcorder should allow you to feed an audio in. If not, you can use software later to marry up the audio with the video (which I find an extra step I always want to erase!)

I'm sure others on here have bought cameras recently and can chime in. Can't wait to see the vids of you playing THE DRUMS.

K ;-)
    My bands: Alter Ego, Arcanum
    E Kit = Roland TDW-20s kit // Roland SPD-S// Pearl Demon Drives//
    A Kit = Tama Swingstar 5 pc (1981) w/roto toms (orig owner!) //Zildjians
    A Kit = Natal 6 pc with Paiste 2000 & Zildjian/MidiKNights/DrumSplitters

Comment

I've reviewed the GoPro H3+ in the latest digitalDrummer. Really good for edrums because it has audio in (via USB) and a very wide angle lens which squeezes a lot in from close-up. I have also used a now superceded Kodak Zi8 which also has audio in - and the ability to change the input level. Finally, my Nikon DSLR has video and the ability to connect your module, but is limited to 20 minutes of capture in each take.
      I agree with Kenster. Try to eliminate any solution which requires synching the audio afterwards. If you can grab audio and video together, editing is much easier.
      . digitalDrummer
      Review index

Comment

Yeah, I also use a Kodak Zi8 or Zi10 to do my videos. Very simple to use with a stereo input for audio which makes it ideal to run your audio directly from the sound module or mixer while shooting videos with no worries of synching sound up later. I haven't researched it lately but back when I first bought a Zi8 there weren't many inexpensive video cameras with a stereo mic input like that. It has served me quite well.
        I could tell you where to stick that piezo! ;)
        Stealthdrums.com Mega Kit: Pearl Mimic Pro ,2Box modules,drums and cymbals too many to count. VST quality sounds directly from the Mimic and custom sounds loaded into and played directly from the 2Box modules. Visit me anytime at: http://stealthdrums.com/

Comment

Thanks very much guys, I shall look into the kodak.

Comment

My two cents...I have been using several different cameras during my productions (!). It is good to have external audio inputs directly on the camera, but it seems like mosts cheaper Full-HD cameras don't offer this. A more advanced camera is required as said above. Most often when doing recordings on the stage...this is the last step you think of...so it must go fast to setup a couple of cameras(Like a GoPro, System Camera with FullHD, Video Camera with Full HD) and a couple of different sound sources. (I am using a Zoom H2 for the live sound and records the audio directly on the bands Mackie DL1608 digital mixer) Just record it all!

Then when you come home and starts editing...(I am using Adobe Premiere Elements)...just put all sources in the timeline. Mark a known place (Cymbal hit, talking between the songs for all video and sound sources) You need to agree with yourself which "track" which is the master...where you need to synchronise and relate all other tracks to that. It takes me about...3 minutes to make it in sync. The trick is that you will hear the sound if it is echoing (comparing the videos audio track to the soundtrack etc) If it is out of sync then it is just to use the arrow keys on the keyboard and move it 3 steps to each direction carefully listening when the echo disappears. When it is in sync...the whole concert for 1.5h is in sync...and you can start to select the right camera angels for each song etc...

ANGR77

Pearl CrystalBeat and Sonor Safari, Roland CY-14/13R/15R/12CR,RT-10/30,BT-1,VH-11/12/13 & KD-10, Dingbat,Triggera D14, D11, ATV AD-h14, PCY-155, 120MHz MD with PS board, 2box 3/5/5MKII, dd4SE, Yamaha DTX502, Addictive Drums 2.1.19. All ADpaks, Microsoft Surface PRO, Macbook, Pearl Throne Thumper, Zourman HH & Ride Conv Kit www.zourman.com

Comment

I have the Zi10 but am wondering whether to use USB or the headphone/mic socket to get the audio in. There doesn't seem to be any adjustment for the mic input.

Comment

Originally posted by airflamesred View Post
                I have the Zi10 but am wondering whether to use USB or the headphone/mic socket to get the audio in. There doesn't seem to be any adjustment for the mic input.
                Use the 1/8" jack on top of the Zi10. It is a 1/8" TRS jack for external mic or headphones. You can set the external Mic Gain/Sensitivity in the settings (page 10 of the manual). You'll probably need a 1/4" TRS to 1/8" TRS adapter, and could run from the headphone out of the module or main outs, etc. Just be sure to set the volume at minimum when first hooking everything up, that is just common sense though...
                I could tell you where to stick that piezo! ;)
                Stealthdrums.com Mega Kit: Pearl Mimic Pro ,2Box modules,drums and cymbals too many to count. VST quality sounds directly from the Mimic and custom sounds loaded into and played directly from the 2Box modules. Visit me anytime at: http://stealthdrums.com/

Comment

Cheers Jman, I found the gain once I had downloaded the full manual.

Just as a side note for anyone else looking at buying one of these, order an SD card at the same time. Out of the box this will only record 7 seconds of HD!

Comment

Just as a side note for anyone else looking at buying one of these, order an SD card at the same time. Out of the box this will only record 7 seconds of HD!
                    That's true of almost any camera now!
                    . digitalDrummer
                    Review index

Comment

Originally posted by JmanWord View Post
                      and could run from the headphone out of the module or main outs, etc.
                      If you had an interface like the Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 and wanted that audio on the Kodak Zi10 can you do that? If so, what would be the best way?
                      Yamaha DTX502 module, mapex piccolo snare, 10" and 12" vintage Tama Superstar toms, 16" no name blue sparkle floor tom (from my first kit in 1979 resurrected from the attic) Triggera Intriggs on snare and two mounted toms, Roland RT-10 on floor tom, two Kriggs, Yamaha RH135, pcy135, and pcy155

Comment

I have a Zoom Q3HD that works quite well. I think there is a newer mode Q2HDl that costs less than what I paid 3 years ago.
                        Equipment: TD-30KV, DW9000 hardware, ROC-N-SOC Throne, Behringer ULTRATONE K3000FX Amp, JBL EON 615 Powered Speaker, Yamaha MG06X. 1965 Ludwig Super Classic. Black diamond pearl. Zildjian K Custom Dark cymbals, DW 7000 hardware, DW 9000 kick pedal.

Comment

Originally posted by merpmerp View Post

If you had an interface like the Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 and wanted that audio on the Kodak Zi10 can you do that? If so, what would be the best way?
                          I should have bought the 2i4 instead of the 2i2 - doh! I tried it this morning and it works fine with this lead
                          http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1414404711...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
                          When you plug it in you get the option of mic or headphones. Choose mic and, under settings, set the gain and off you go.

Comment

Very pleased with the Zi10, so thanks once again guys.

Comment

I should have bought the 2i4 instead of the 2i2 - doh! I tried it this morning and it works fine with this lead
                              http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1414404711...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
                              When you plug it in you get the option of mic or headphones. Choose mic and, under settings, set the gain and off you go.
                              Great, thank you!
                              Yamaha DTX502 module, mapex piccolo snare, 10" and 12" vintage Tama Superstar toms, 16" no name blue sparkle floor tom (from my first kit in 1979 resurrected from the attic) Triggera Intriggs on snare and two mounted toms, Roland RT-10 on floor tom, two Kriggs, Yamaha RH135, pcy135, and pcy155

Comment

Working...
                              X