Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Vent hole 1/4" jacks.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vent hole 1/4" jacks.

I know this has probably been asked before. But I couldn't find any answers using the search function. Could be me who's a crappy searcher, but still.

I've seen a bunch of people using a 1/4" jack in their vent holes and as I recall they have cut the cables and soldered the wires themselves. But is there any place I could buy jacks that would fit that already have soldered cables on or a 1/4" jack on either side? Since my brain aneurysm my fine motor skills with my fingers aren't exactly top notch so I doubt I should be playing with soldering equipment.

I need a fancier way to get the cables from my Intriggs to the module than just running them through a cut out hole in the reso heads.

Apologies for not answering your question directly but I'm re working my connectors. Ordered the jacks from Quartz and I plan to use crimp disconnects like Quartz provides with their trigger assemblies. Maybe an option.
    TD-25KV, Yamaha DXR15, MG10. Senn 280HD.

Comment

You can use 1/8" cables and then adapters to 1/4". One on intrigg and one on module input. That's without drilling.
      1/8" jacks can go through the venthole.
      electronic drum triggers >>> | electronic cymbals >>>

Subscribe to our FB page

Comment

Originally posted by triggera View Post
        You can use 1/8" cables and then adapters to 1/4". One on intrigg and one on module input. That's without drilling.
        1/8" jacks can go through the venthole.
        That's not a bad plan! It's either that or paying some poor soul to do the work for me. And I don't know anybody that I'd trust with soldering equipment, lol.

Comment

It's not worth cutting and soldering, and if you sell one day, you don't want them all modified. Yes, I use a 1/4-to-1/8 right angle adapter, then run a 1/8-to-1/8 cable out the vent holes. Or you can run a 1/8-to-1/4 cable... you get the idea.

Yamaha DTX-502 / (3) PCY155 Cymbals / HH65 HH Pedal
          Roland KD-9 Kick / DIY Snare (1 zone with DTX...)

Comment

Looks like a good solution! I just ordered some 1/8-to-1/4 cables and a bunch of adapters so hopefully it'll be all set up and looking good by the end of next week or so!
            Thanks guys!

Comment

Hey Ohlarikd, thanks for posting that picture and that information. I started this A to E project a few months ago and then kind of hit a dead end, but I'm looking to pick it up again. I have what they call "vintage" Tama Superstars and I really didn't want to do any cutting to the vent holes to make them bigger so I looked at an external trigger option. I got a great deal on ddrum Elites but I'm not happy with them. I hooked them up to one tom and there seem to be a lot of missed hits ( I just realized maybe I should put up a post about the settings on my "vintage" DTX module and see if that would help).

Anyway, I have two Kriggs and I like them much better than the KP-65's so I figured I would get an intrigg and see how that is. They're not cheap with the shipping to the US.

Can you let me know why you used the right angle adapter? Is it so the wire wouldn't be hitting on the side of drum and possibly making noise?

Also, I saw you had the ddrum for the snare. Why are you using that and not an internal trigger?

Thanks for your help with this.
              Last edited by merpmerp; 10-06-14, 01:46 PM.
              Yamaha DTX502 module, mapex piccolo snare, 10" and 12" vintage Tama Superstar toms, 16" no name blue sparkle floor tom (from my first kit in 1979 resurrected from the attic) Triggera Intriggs on snare and two mounted toms, Roland RT-10 on floor tom, two Kriggs, Yamaha RH135, pcy135, and pcy155

Comment

Originally posted by merpmerp View Post
                Hey Ohlarikd, thanks for posting that picture and that information. I started this A to E project a few months ago and then kind of hit a dead end, but I'm looking to pick it up again. I have what they call "vintage" Tama Superstars and I really didn't want to do any cutting to the vent holes to make them bigger so I looked at an external trigger option.

Can you let me know why you used the right angle adapter? Is it so the wire wouldn't be hitting on the side of drum and possibly making noise?

Also, I saw you had the ddrum for the snare. Why are you using that and not an internal trigger?

Thanks for your help with this.
                Sorry for delay, I never get email updates anymore on this new forum software....

I have Wronka internal triggers. The 1/4 output is on the side, and the non-right angle adapter would smash into the shell on my smaller shells. But if you have the clearance, you don't need it. I can't remember why I chose certain combos, but do whatever you need to do for your situation.

Vintage Superstars? Like this one? I am building up a vintage kit myself...

Comment

Also, I put a rubber washer and a bunch of regular washer in to keep the trigger from contacting the shell. I was afraid it would dig into the wood.

Comment

Originally posted by merpmerp View Post
                    Sorry, I am rushing out these responses and not reading thoroughly.

The ddrum was the first trigger I tried. Then the internal stuff came out later and I went to those. The ddrum works, so I didn't feel like spending 50 more bucks to replace it only for aesthetic reasons. No real technical reason, I am just cheap.

Comment

Sorry for going of the grid for a while there! I bought a setup of the smaller cables and it works like a charm! All I need now is a snare and a hi-hat stand and I'm good to go!

Comment

Originally posted by ohlarikd View Post

Vintage Superstars? Like this one? I am building up a vintage kit myself...

Hey Ohlarikd, sorry for taking so long, I just saw this now. Nice set!

Yes, that's my floor tom in the picture!

Thanks for all of the information. Regarding the triggers, yes, if I can get the ddrum elites to work and I'm not hitting them with the sticks, I don't mind how they look.
                        Yamaha DTX502 module, mapex piccolo snare, 10" and 12" vintage Tama Superstar toms, 16" no name blue sparkle floor tom (from my first kit in 1979 resurrected from the attic) Triggera Intriggs on snare and two mounted toms, Roland RT-10 on floor tom, two Kriggs, Yamaha RH135, pcy135, and pcy155

Comment

Working...
                        X