Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First V-Drum Purchase - TD6V or TD4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First V-Drum Purchase - TD6V or TD4

Hello!

So, I'm a relatively experienced drummer of 10+ years, and I'm thinking about now diving into the world of electronic drums. I currently have a mini ekit comprised of a cymbal pad, kick pad, and a Roland RMP-5 which I use as a mobile practice station. However, I have recently come into two kit offerings, and I'm doing the best I can to make an educated decision on which deal to take. Here are the deals:

1. TD-6V with four mesh pads (PD-85s), one ECYMBAL II, one rubber pad (PD-8), hi hat controller. $550.
    2. TD-4 with one mesh snare pad (PDX-8), three rubber pads (PD-8s), two cymbal pads (CY-8s I believe), a hi hat pad (CY-5 I believe) and controller. $500

So, what I'm trying to weigh is my desire to have a more silent and natural feeling kit, with my desire for a higher quality module. I am interested in perhaps delving into the world of VST, however this is secondary, as I'm really unsure if my laptop can properly run the software and I have no plans of buying a new one specifically for drumming. I don't plan on gigging with either of these - maybe recording for fun, but my interest is mostly in having a more mobile kit I can use for more silent practice, for fun, and perhaps for rehearsals. Having nicer sounds would be nice, but it also is not the top priority for me.

The all mesh pads on the TD-6V deal is attractive to me because I really want to avoid needing to upgrade later. However, I do really wonder how much I'll miss it on just the tom pads. On the other hand, the TD-4 package is really solid and gives me the amount of cymbal and tom pads I want with a more modern module. Though, the TD-6V gives a bit more customization options, the rims trigger on the toms, and would be cheaper to upgrade with additional pads since it already comes with the mesh. If you can't tell, I'm somewhat flustered trying to figure all this out, haha.

Bottom line: It looks to me like with the TD-6V deal I will be happier with the pads and dual triggering toms, though I may find I want to upgrade the cymbal pad (is the ECYMBAL II any good?). With the TD-4 deal I will likely be more happy with the sounds and cymbal pads, but I will have to compromise the mesh, dual-triggered tom pads in exchange for saving some money.

So, do the mesh pads make the TD-6V a better deal? Or is the TD-4 deal a better package with a more modern module? Or, are neither of these deals that great, and should I be patient and hope a better deal pops up?

Thanks in advance for the help!

Oh, and just to add about budget: the reason these deals stuck out to me is because I really didn't want to go above $600. These are right in my budget.
    Last edited by Melomaniacal; 09-14-14, 07:46 PM.

My first e-set was a TD-6 that I vexed..... a good set..... the factor that there are no V-Ex kits for the Td-4 would be the deal breaker for me.
    TD-6 Vexed... TD-12 vexed .... hard at work on an A to E conversion and pretty sure that will never end till i do.....lol

Comment

Originally posted by markw10 View Post
      My first e-set was a TD-6 that I vexed..... a good set..... the factor that there are no V-Ex kits for the Td-4 would be the deal breaker for me.

So you would say that the VEX kits for the TD-6V sound better than the stock kits on the TD-4?

Comment

The TD-6v would be more expandable as it has midi in / out and could be used with a tmc-6.
        The Vex kits would also make this a no brain er for me.
        For what you are getting the price seems a little steep. This stuff is pretty old.
        Good luck.
        "It makes sense if you dont think about it"

Mimic Pro, SPD-SX, 2-QSC K-10s, K-sub, Yamaha mixer, and a bunch of other expensive cool things!

Comment

Originally posted by Intruder View Post
          The TD-6v would be more expandable as it has midi in / out and could be used with a tmc-6.
          The Vex kits would also make this a no brain er for me.
          For what you are getting the price seems a little steep. This stuff is pretty old.
          Good luck.
          It's the best deal I've come across. :/
          The best price I've managed to get when buying used pieces separately, including all the cords, racks, and mounts, has been well over $550. But if you think I can do better, I'll keep looking!

Comment

I would offer $400 and see what happens.
            Also, for sure which mesh pads and how many come with it.
            If 4 pd85 or pdx100 $ 550 is ok.

Mimic Pro, SPD-SX, 2-QSC K-10s, K-sub, Yamaha mixer, and a bunch of other expensive cool things!

Comment

Originally posted by Intruder View Post
              I would offer $400 and see what happens.
              Also, for sure which mesh pads and how many come with it.
              If 4 pd85 or pdx100 $ 550 is ok.
              I'm waiting to hear back on exactly what kind they are, but they appear to be either PDX-100s or PD-85s. I will probably make an offer around that and see what happens.

EDIT: They are PD85s
              Last edited by Melomaniacal; 09-14-14, 07:46 PM.

Comment

Best of luck to you.
                Just need a few better cymbals and you are set.

Comment

I have a td-6v with pd-85 mesh toms and I will tell you from my experience that the rim triggering is inconsistent at best. I would not count on it. However, you can use splitter cables to run additional pads/triggers. So there's that. I use Addictive Drums 2 with my Td-6v and it works very well but does require a midi interface to connect with the computer which is an additional expense. The TD-4 requires the same however if you want to use VST. I can't comment on the vex'd TD-6V but if you're just practicing on it the sounds are adequate. I use a VH-11 hat with it and that works quite well too.
                  So I guess what I'm trying to say is go with the TD-6V. You'll have better toms and if you do venture into VSTs the module sounds don't matter anyway. Hope that helps.

Comment

Originally posted by ThePod View Post
                    I have a td-6v with pd-85 mesh toms and I will tell you from my experience that the rim triggering is inconsistent at best. I would not count on it. However, you can use splitter cables to run additional pads/triggers. So there's that. I use Addictive Drums 2 with my Td-6v and it works very well but does require a midi interface to connect with the computer which is an additional expense. The TD-4 requires the same however if you want to use VST. I can't comment on the vex'd TD-6V but if you're just practicing on it the sounds are adequate. I use a VH-11 hat with it and that works quite well too. So I guess what I'm trying to say is go with the TD-6V. You'll have better toms and if you do venture into VSTs the module sounds don't matter anyway. Hope that helps.
                    So, the TD6V doesn't work as a midi interface? What would I need to buy? Would I need this with the TD4? Sorry, I was under the impression that I could MIDI out from the module into a laptop (with a MIDI-USB cord) and run it like that!

Also, I had read that the VH11 is not compatible with the TD6, is that not the case with the TD6V?

But thanks a lot for the advice, though. I really feel like the mesh pads may ultimately be a better choice for me. And I do hope I can venture into the world of VST drumming, but we'll find out.
                    Last edited by Melomaniacal; 09-15-14, 05:22 PM.

Comment

A midi to usb should work with both the TD-6V and the TD-4, sorry to confuse you. The internal sound card of your computer may not have the low latency capabilities of something like a breakout style interface such as a Focusrite or Presonus USB to audio interface but it may work just fine too. The VH-11 works very well with the TD-6V. I have no idea if it works or not with the Td-6, but the Td-6 is upgradeable to the TD-6V so it should not be a problem if you're getting a TD-6 vs a TD-6V. Really either module will work and if you go DYI with bigger drums and DIY triggers/mesh heads down the road the TD-85s won't matter either.

Comment

I'd probably recommend a TD-6V over a TD-4. TD-4 was the lowest entry level module and the TD-6V was a step above. I might wait as others have suggested to get a better deal on a kit. You should be able to pick up a stock TD-6V set for $500 with a little searching and patience.

Comment

Originally posted by jjdrumz View Post
                          I'd probably recommend a TD-6V over a TD-4. TD-4 was the lowest entry level module and the TD-6V was a step above. I might wait as others have suggested to get a better deal on a kit. You should be able to pick up a stock TD-6V set for $500 with a little searching and patience.

I'm going to see if I can get the seller down to ~$450, which I think would be a good deal. Normally the stock ones only come with a mesh snare, right?

Comment

A little late here. A PD85 used is around $100. A TD6V module is about $200. Then add the rack and cymbals and you are way over the asking price for that kit. I personally think its a good deal. You can try for lower but if you paid full I wouldn't blink an eye. You could part it out later and make money.

You want the mesh pads. I have a TD6 module and it is quite good. I use the Midi portion now into a TD9 into a VST, so you can use it later as a very good expansion for an upgraded module. It's a keeper really even if you outgrow it.
                            Yamaha DTX-502 / (3) PCY155 Cymbals / HH65 HH Pedal
                            Roland KD-9 Kick / DIY Snare (1 zone with DTX...)

Comment

FYI I do have two used PD-85s that I'll let go a $100 a piece if you're interested.

Comment

Working...
                              X