Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

which USB to Midi interface?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• which USB to Midi interface?

will a bus powered interface cable be adequate enough to connect a TD3 or TD10 to a mac? Want to try out VDrumLib.
    Yamaha Absolute Birch;Yamaha Oak Custom
    Paiste Cymbals; Zildjian Hybrid Cymbals
    DIY vdrums

Almost anything will work, from a generic cable to the USB/Firewire versions out there, but be aware that a lot of the current gear may not be supported for Mavericks. I use a Presonus AudioBox (USB) and a FireStudio Mobile, both of which work well for both Mac and PC with Roland and other gear. Both are readily available second-hand and have the added advantage of audio out - rahter than having to rely on the headphone feed of the computer, which does not give great audio generally.
    . digitalDrummer
    Review index

Comment

Originally posted by ronyd View Post
      will a bus powered interface cable be adequate enough to connect a TD3 or TD10 to a mac? Want to try out VDrumLib.
      Since your intention is to use VDrumLib, you must buy an interface that supports long SysEx messages. Many interfaces do NOT support Roland's long SysEx message format and therefore cannot be used to transfer backups to/from your Roland TD module. There are many cheap sub $10 USB to MIDI interfaces and MOST of them do NOT work. So, do NOT buy any of these cheap interfaces.

I recommend the following interfaces which are known to support Roland style SysEx messages:
      http://www.roland.com/products/en/UM-ONE_mk2/
      http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/Uno.html

The Roland UM-ONE mk2 is the newest model in the Roland UM series -- it superseded the UM-ONE. Also the UM-ONE superseded the UM-1G which superseded the UM-1EX. All of the Roland UM series cables work VERY WELL with your Roland TD series drum module, so if you can't fine the UM-ONE, then don't be afraid to get a UM-1EX or a UM-1G.

The M-Audio UNO also works well and the manufacture has updated drivers for each OS on their website, so if you can't find one of the Roland interfaces, then don't hesitate to get the UNO.

No matter which cable you buy, you should always go to the manufacturers website and download the latest driver for your OS. You should also install the driver BEFORE you plug the cable in for the first time.

-SD-
      Last edited by SiliconDrummer; 01-17-16, 05:47 PM.

Comment

thankx SD. I was thinking of the m-audio. But I read that may not be adequate since it's self powered, and may need a powered USB hub. So I wasn't sure what the deal was.

I'll check out Roland's. thankx

BTW, I'm using a mac mini intel, 10.6.8....

also, always wondered about SysEx. I know it's down in the weeds, but nice tutorial here:
        http://www.2writers.com/eddie/tutsysex.htm

Last edited by ronyd; 09-11-14, 01:53 PM.
        Yamaha Absolute Birch;Yamaha Oak Custom
        Paiste Cymbals; Zildjian Hybrid Cymbals
        DIY vdrums

Comment

Working...
        X