Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

'reamping' the td-30

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • 'reamping' the td-30

    One thing I'm considering for recording purposes is if there is a way that we could record the trigger signals in between the brain and the pad so that they could be 'revamped' later... sounds weird but it would allow you to record something, edit/quantize strokes, aectetera - then 'revamp' it through the brain, allowing you to adjust drum dimensions/head/whatever to fit the mix, while still making use of positional sensing... this would save having to fiddle with the sound aa lot before recording

  • #2
    This is very easy. All you do is capture the performance in MIDI as your playing it using the USB/MIDI - or MIDI OUT to the computer via a MIDI/USB "Box" to the computer. As you play back into the TD-30 you can do all the editing you want. When you get the sound you want, simply do another take for the final mix. So, you're not actually recording the trigger signals, you're recording those trigger signals AFTER they're converted to MIDI by the TD30 which is even better.

    ATV aDrums & aD5, Pearl Mimic Pro & DIY, eDRUMin 10, Agean R-series Silent Cymbals, Roland Handsonic HPD-20.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by anthraxsnax View Post
      One thing I'm considering for recording purposes is if there is a way that we could record the trigger signals in between the brain and the pad so that they could be 'revamped' later... sounds weird but it would allow you to record something, edit/quantize strokes, aectetera - then 'revamp' it through the brain, allowing you to adjust drum dimensions/head/whatever to fit the mix, while still making use of positional sensing... this would save having to fiddle with the sound aa lot before recording

      Yes. It's called MIDI, and that's basically how the VST drum libraries work. MIDI sends the How, the Where and then When, all you need to do is assign the What.
      Last edited by flurbs; 09-07-14, 08:42 AM.

      Comment


      • #4
        I think the concept went right over your heads... midi would not replicate positional sensing - which is a primary component in sounding less fake

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by anthraxsnax View Post
          I think the concept went right over your heads... midi would not replicate positional sensing...
          I think it went right over yours. Almost everything in the TD30 is MIDI driven, including the positional sensing (Roland modules generally use MIDI Continuous Controller 16 to send and receive PS data). The only thing that's not MIDI that re-amping would work for is the brush sounds.


          Originally posted by anthraxsnax View Post
          ...which is a primary component in sounding less fake
          I think if you want it to sound less fake then you're using the wrong soundsource! ;-)
          Last edited by flurbs; 09-07-14, 11:50 AM.

          Comment


          • #6
            Purely academically...

            It is possible to do exactly what you originally described with the piezo elements of the triggers, but not the membrane switch elements. For a standard TD30KV kit, you'd need to be able to interface:

            1 bass drum audio piezo track
            2 snare drum audio piezo tracks
            8 tom audio piezo tracks
            1 hihat audio piezo track with no edge sensor or pedal position data
            1 ride cymbal audio piezo track with no edge sensor, bell sensor or choke data
            2 crash cymbal audio piezo tracks with no edge sensor or choke data

            So you'd need 15 channels of audio with the correct wiring and no cymbal edges/bells/chokes or hihat position control. You still think MIDI is restricting you?

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by flurbs View Post

              I think it went right over yours. Almost everything in the TD30 is MIDI driven, including the positional sensing (Roland modules generally use MIDI Continuous Controller 16 to send and receive PS data).
              can anyone confirm this? or simply record midi with audio and then play the midi back through the brain and side by side the audio produced... that would make recording a breeze for sure

              Originally posted by flurbs View Post
              Purely academically...

              It is possible to do exactly what you originally described with the piezo elements of the triggers, but not the membrane switch elements. For a standard TD30KV kit, you'd need to be able to interface:

              1 bass drum audio piezo track
              2 snare drum audio piezo tracks
              8 tom audio piezo tracks
              1 hihat audio piezo track with no edge sensor or pedal position data
              1 ride cymbal audio piezo track with no edge sensor, bell sensor or choke data
              2 crash cymbal audio piezo tracks with no edge sensor or choke data

              So you'd need 15 channels of audio with the correct wiring and no cymbal edges/bells/chokes or hihat position control. You still think MIDI is restricting you?
              I have a saffire pro 40 and the beringer A dat thingy... so I'd be fine... I'd only use it for snare/kicks/toms and the cymbals I'd just bus together... but to be perfectly honest I'd probably use my edirol FA-101 because of the line-ins on the back... that way I don't worry about gain effecting my trigger settings unevenly... but if flurbs is right and there is midi data that is sent from positional sensing then I would have 0 need to worry about anything... then I could sell my interfaces haha

              hard part about "sounding fake" is that sampled drums sit in the music I'm making so much better... acoustic drums just feel "flat" in comparison with entirely sampled instruments... I'm not sure why - but they just do... can I get a good enough sound with a lot of tweaking? yes... but bottom line is I'd have to use way more HD space, buy some better mics, and spend boat loads of time editing wave data. V drums would give me complete control over individual instruments and would be ridiculously easy to edit... never having to worry about phasing would be a blessing... changing heads... and would also allow me to record at night - the only time my body says HEY LETS BE AWAKE AND STUFF... ITLL BE FUN

              Comment


              • #8
                I don't mean to be argumentative. Positional sensing is included in the MIDI data, so you're covered there. This is how a TD-30 is able to output to a computer and send that to a plug-in like Superior Drummer and have it perform positional sensing. Anything the TD-30 can do, it does it in MIDI equally well.
                ATV aDrums & aD5, Pearl Mimic Pro & DIY, eDRUMin 10, Agean R-series Silent Cymbals, Roland Handsonic HPD-20.

                Comment


                • #9
                  interesting... does slate drums do positional sampling aswell? i have ssd 4.0 plat thats why im wondering. also how different are the pads like pdx-100 or pd-105/105x if i dont use rims? wondering if i go with a td15 instead and just get the vh 13 and cy15 i figured 'id blend snares between the td-30 and id use the slate toms/kicks... slate tends to sound too sampled for some of the more flavored passages in my music... kind of off subject, but im considering using a splitter on toms to use a cymbal pad (like triggera single zones) instead of having rim triggers... for things like splashes + chinas

                  Comment

                  Working...
                  X