Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Jobeky v Diamond Drums

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jobeky v Diamond Drums

I've been thinking about getting bigger pads for my TD9. Sometimes it seems like hardwork trying to nail a fill or lick across the PD 85s. I've got the rims triggering the same as the pads so if I miss slightly I get the same sound but it's starting to affect what I try and play so I'm less adventurous in going round the kit. The PD 105 snare seems huge in comparison so I thought why not get 3 of these. Well the cost of one of these new is significant so buying 3 is a lot of dosh. Even used they hold their value which is great for us Roland users when it comes to sell. So anyway got searching online and came across the acoustic style electronic drums. I'd never even thought about these before but it now seems to make a lot of sense. Giant pads (compared to the PD 85s), they look like real drums and I can still control exactly how they sound.

The more I think about it the more sense it makes. First set I saw was the Drumtech which looked like a halfway house between electronic pads and acoustic style pads, so look okay but a bit inbetween. Then there was the price and at that point I thought back to the PD 85s. Then looked at the Jobeky and Diamond Drums. They both look great and the for the price of 3 new PD 105s you could buy a shellpack cheaper. So I've decided that's what I'm going to do. So I'm looking for any views, preferably from those who have played or owned DDs or Jobeky's what they think. I am ruling out completely the modify an acoustic kit with triggers route and I don't fancy a hybrid of acoustic style and Roland style pads. I'm happy with the module and the cymbals (though I think I'll get a CY 15 R to complete the set up.) Used th SE but many of the threads are a few years old now.

So my request is simple - Jobeky vs DDs.

Cheers
    MOTM
    TD9KX2, Pearl and Gibraltar Hardware, CY8. Naturals VEX.

Not much need to open this can of worms again IMHO. I don't think this will turn out well but I guess we will see. Suffice it to say that both have their fans...I prefer Diamonds because Dave's a great guy with a quality product and awesome customer service(I won't get into why I don't support Jobeky).....but this topic has been discussed to heated exhaustion many times over. I suggest you use the search engine and check out some of the previous debates.

8 piece DIY Acrylic, 2x2Box DrumIt5, Gen16 4xDCP, DIY Acrylic&Gen16 Conversions, Sleishman Twin-QuadSteele hybrid, Gibraltar&DrumFrame rack, DW9502LB, Midi Knights Pro Lighting
    http://www.airbrushartists.org/DreamscapeAirbrushRealm

Comment

Tick, tick, tick ...
      . digitalDrummer
      Review index

Comment

I dont think there is any new information that you didnt find in the old threads. Same old opinions. And mine is Diamond.
        TD9+6v with Diamond Electronic pads, and cowbell.
        ATH-50m headphones, VEX packs
        not to mention keyboards, guitars, basses, and cats

Comment

Without talking about the drums or the service; and with complete impartiality...
          The company setup is different, and so is ordering experience.

Diamond is a 1-to-1, made to order service; whereby you build a quote of exactly what you want for each drum (size, finish, lugs, heads) and pay (via paypal) to Dave who makes them by hand. Obviously the waiting times are lengthy due to this, but you are in communication with the craftsmen (rather than a company) and you get benefits that go with that kind of personal service.

Jobeky is a shopping cart service; whereby to pick from a list of prebuilt shells from an online catalogue. It favours buying complete shellpacks or complete kits more so, due to the savings you get from including the hardware, module and cymbals with the purchase. There is less customisation, but it's accessible and easy to order.
          Last edited by Kabonfaiba; 09-05-14, 09:15 AM.
          ◾ Diamond Drums 4pc in Di-Noc carbon ◾ MegaDRUM
          ◾ Roland UA-1010 / cymbals / KT-10 (x2) ◾ Tama / Gibraltar hardware ◾ JBL LSR3 Series 2.1 Monitoring ◾ Pearl THMP-1
          PA Comparison Sheet

Comment

Kabonfaiba summed it up perfectly. Bespoke completely specified drums vs. picking from a list. I am quite quite happy with my snare.
            TD-30++ (TD-30, Diamond Electronic Drums 14x5 snare+Ludwig Atlas Pro II, 2xPDX-8, 2xPDX-6, VH-11+Gibraltar 9607DL-LD, 2xCY-12C, CY-13R, KT-10) + DA200S, almost all on an MDS-4 and a bit on the floor.

Comment

Good to know. Because mentally I'm in same shoes as the OP. With slightly different reasons. Nonetheless, I appreciate the responses. I will look deeper into these threads.

Comment

Thanks for the replies folks.

As I stated in the original post I used the search engine before posting but most posts were dated.

So it seems there is a clear difference in the set up of the companies and the way you buy. What about the way they play? Any difference? I'm not in a position to demo either drum so would be relying on recommendations. Of course I accept that if you own a set of one or the other you're more likely to support that drum maker. So compared to hitting a PD 85 or a KD 9 how do the pads feel? If that's possible to describe.

Cheers
                MOTM

Comment

I tend to review Youtube review video's. As you said, there are some things we just cannot sit down and try. We are taking a huge leap of faith. I've been looking at Jobeky lately and these are just a few video'st....

... I am now going to research Diamond,because of recommendations here.

Comment

Both Jobeky and Diamond will be able to guide you are unsure of what you need, just pop them an email.

Dave from Diamond drums will give you a website that lists lots of lugs/hoop designs to choice from - one of the perks I was talking about, it may be silently confidential so I won't post it; but it's worth picking different things for your snare and toms, since you wouldn't otherwise be able to do that with a shell pack, it won't affect the price.

It's absolutely better value than what you get from Roland pads if you bought them new; but at the same time; you're buying better pads than what you would get on a TD30KV and therefore the price is relative to that, rather than an alterative to PD85 on a TD11KV. Although you can order half shells with one hoop to save money, they would be unmistakably "e-drum looking" at that point, rather than acoustics in disguise - which is kinda the point imo.

In advance, have an idea of:

How many drums you want
                    The name of the shell wrap/veneer you want on each drum
                    The diameter (8" 10" 12" 13" 14")
                    The shell depth (whatever you like)
                    Hoop / Lug colour (chrome, gold, black nickel)
                    and go from there...

Dave will provide alternatives if you need to bring the cost down.

◾ Roland UA-1010 / cymbals / KT-10 (x2) ◾ Tama / Gibraltar hardware ◾ JBL LSR3 Series 2.1 Monitoring ◾ Pearl THMP-1
                    PA Comparison Sheet

Comment

I've got my eyes set on a specific Gibralter Stealth rack system. I know I would want to discuss that with him while determining my setup, but does he make the rack available too? Or a that's a separate transaction?

Comment

I don't think Dave sells anything other than drums and cowbells.

You can specify whether the drums have mounts or not, to fit 10.5mm L-rods, or have legs on your floor tom. If you have a snare basket you may not want to include a mount on the snare for example. Although if in the future you wanted a floating snare sometimes it's better to have it and not need it, rather than need it and have to drill it yourself. The standard mounts for L-rods are free, but more exotic mounts will cost you extra.
                        PA Comparison Sheet

Comment

Thanks for all the helpful replies, there are plenty of good videos as you said Kabonfaiba. The basic 5 piece shell pack from Jobeky looks good to me so that goes top of my list for now. Probably in black or white to match the Roland cymbals. Now for the extras - cymbal stands, snare drum stand, drum cases, oh and something to fix my module to. This switch to an acoustic style kit ain't gonna be cheap. There is a saying in boating that a boat is just a hole in the water into which you pour money into. This rings true for drumming too. And of course I love both. This is why the wife and kids wear rags and have gruel for meals. It's a price worth paying I feel

Cheers
                          MOTM

Comment

Originally posted by manonthemoon View Post
                            Thanks for all the helpful replies, there are plenty of good videos as you said Kabonfaiba. The basic 5 piece shell pack from Jobeky looks good to me so that goes top of my list for now. Probably in black or white to match the Roland cymbals. Now for the extras - cymbal stands, snare drum stand, drum cases, oh and something to fix my module to. This switch to an acoustic style kit ain't gonna be cheap. There is a saying in boating that a boat is just a hole in the water into which you pour money into. This rings true for drumming too. And of course I love both. This is why the wife and kids wear rags and have gruel for meals. It's a price worth paying I feel

Cheers
                            MOTM
                            First, I should say that as a (one-time) owner of a Diamond snare, custom made by Dave as always, it was awesome. Brilliant construction, craftsmanship, playability - and well worth the price.

But noting that you want an acoustic feel and that money is not unlimited, I'm really puzzled by your having ruled out simply converting an acoustic set to electronic using any number of trigger options (the cheapest and yet incredibly playable and durable are Quartz triggers).

I appreciate you said that you didn't want to do a conversion, but it's SO simple and you wind up for a few hundred $US getting a brand new kit (shells, hardware) that's perfectly suited to everything you said you were trying to accomplish (= getting a true acoustic size and feel for a great price).

In fact, the ONLY reason I don't have my Diamond snare anymore is that after I did that simple A-to-E conversion with a brand new Mapex kit (included shells + hardware for about $300 for a really nicely constructed and good looking full drum kit), I didn't really experience any playing difference between my Mapex converted snare and my Diamond snare. It took some convincing (of myself) but eventually I took my Diamond snare out of the music room closet and let it go to another happy home. Sad to see it go ... but didn't make sense to hoard! ;-)

That's not to suggest Diamond's quality isn't superb - 110% professionally crafted inside and out - and I'm a fan! But given your musical objective stated in your OP and your understandable desire to preserve your budget, I'd encourage you to consider more fully whether you should be so quick to rule out a very simple conversion project. It really is so easy - hard to understand why more folks don't do this early on in their vdrums journey.

Happy hunting!

Comment

Well OneWatt, what an inspiring post.

You're absolutely right. I've not really considered a conversion because I assumed it was too tricky. So I've nothing to lose by looking into it and that's what I'll do before I order anything. I have some old shells so I'll try one of them. Can you point me in the right direction of where to start? I'll start looking into this right away.

Cheers
                              MOTM

Comment

Working...
                              X