Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need a new usb to midi cable

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need a new usb to midi cable

Long story short, my UM-1ex cable that was perfect for the last 6 years appears to be toast. Laptop fell off a speaker and broke the USB Plug. I need a new cable. Will only be using to transfer kits via V drum Lib. Since they appear to not be making the UM-1ex anymore, then what should I go with? Any great deals? Thanks guys.
    Module- 1 TD 12
    Pads- 3 pd 85s, 2 pd 105s, 1kd 85
    Cymbals VH 11, 2 cy 12s 1 cy 6, 1 Yamaha pcy150s Iron Cobra dbl pedal
    1 JBL Eon 515xt powered speaker. Also plenty of VEXkits to choose from.

Direct from Ken at VDL... links may be old... Many interfaces do NOT support Roland's long SysEx message format and therefore cannot be used to transfer backups to/from your Roland TD module. There are many cheap sub $10 USB to MIDI interfaces and NONE of them work. So, do NOT buy any of these cheap interfaces. I recommend the following interfaces which are known to support Roland style SysEx messages: http://www.roland.com/products/en/UM-ONE_mk2/ http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/Uno.html The Roland UM-ONE mk2 is the newest model in the Roland UM series -- it superseded the UM-ONE. Also the UM-ONE superseded the UM-1G which superseded the UM-1EX. All of the Roland UM series cables work VERY WELL with your Roland TD series drum module, so if you can't fine the UM-ONE, then don't be afraid to get a UM-1EX or a UM-1G. The M-Audio UNO also works well and the manufacture has updated drivers for each OS on their website, so if you can't find one of the Roland interfaces, then don't hesitate to get the UNO. No matter which cable you buy, you should always go to the manufacturers website and download the latest driver for your OS. You should also install the driver BEFORE you plug the cable in for the first time.
    Alan
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    website | youtube | facebook | group | newsletter | message | recommendations

Comment

Sorry about the BS iPad format issue.
      Alan
      ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      website | youtube | facebook | group | newsletter | message | recommendations

Comment

Great, thank you very much!
        Module- 1 TD 12

Comment

I had the m-audio UM-1 and it gave me some trouble. You are safe using either the Roland or Yamaha cable. They both work very well.
          DTX700, eDRUMin 4+10, A2E Dixon kit, Yamaha cymbals, FSR HH
          Kit Pix http://vdrums.com/forum/album.php?albumid=613

My new venture, HiEnd Speakers. : voglosounds.com

Comment

I found an M Audio UNO on E bay for $25 with free shipping. It's like in an open box.
            Module- 1 TD 12

Comment

Originally posted by Stixx71 View Post
              I found an M Audio UNO on E bay for $25 with free shipping. It's like in an open box.
              Should work fine. Just make sure to go to the M-Audio website and download the latest driver for your OS. You should also install the driver BEFORE you plug the cable in for the first time.

Btw, they did have a bad batch many moons ago. So, you might want to email the ebay seller to ask for the serial number. As long as the ebay unit isn't in that bad batch, you should be fine. Here is a link to the M-Audio announcement for the bad batch including serial numbers affected:
              http://www.m-audio.com/index.php?do=...41d78b021b2da1

-SD-

Comment

Working...
              X