Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Beginner e-kit. Used TD-4KP for $350 or Used TD-11KV for $900?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beginner e-kit. Used TD-4KP for $350 or Used TD-11KV for $900?

I'm a complete novice and looking to get a e-kit. I found both a used TD-4KP for $350 and a used TD-11KV for $900?

I know most people will say the 11KV hands down, but considering I've never played any kit is it really worth it to spend so much more for an high-end intermediate kit?

I mainly ask because the TD-4KP is available for less than half of list price.
    Or should I just get a really basic kit until I can handle the nicer kit?

Or should I get both and sell one at a profit? :P

Even tho I have the td3 module and it is inferior IMO than the td4..point is I got all this plus a mesh dual trigger pd80 not pictured for under 600 bucks used.look around be patient there are better options than either kit.the better module and kit you buy the more enjoyment you'll get.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by edrummer68; 08-11-14, 10:33 PM.

Comment

Oh yeah? I was under the impression the TD-11KV (http://www.roland.com/products/en/TD-11KV/) was a pretty quality module and it has all mesh pads and what not.

Comment

What should I be looking for in a used kit then?

Comment

Don't get me wrong the TD 11 is a very nice module .and if it has the all mesh drums 900 is not a bad deal.just keep options open .these days you can buy a used td12 module which is a much much nicer module for around 600.you could buy the TD 4 kit and with extra money buy a used td12 then you would have a sweet setup that wouldn't grow tired of in a month.then sell your td4 module for 200 then say you'd have roughly 750 in a pretty sweet setup again I've seen the td12 for 600 to 700 used a guy in my area just sold one for 500 bucks! Just my 2 cents

Comment

But regardless of mesh heads or rubber heads..module.IMO is the most important thing ..remember you can have a Porsche body...but if you have a Yugo engine under the hood..what do you really have..plus it always help resale value if you ever grow tired of it..I didn't enjoy nearly as much until I went from a td3 to my TD 8 night and day difference if you can find one for around 450 ..buy it! Don't care if its an older module its one of Roland's very best..tons of sounds easy to get around on and lots of editing possibilities. Either module would be good TD 12 which is newer or td8 based on your price range.

Comment

Actually just got link to pull up.the td11 kit w all mesh you listed for 900 is a good deal I'm just not fond of the module..hope I haven't caused more confusion.

Comment

Ok! Whew. I was worried that I was completely misunderstanding something.

I figure when I get bored of the TD-11 I can just upgrade the module (TD-15) and hi-hat (VH-11) TD-15KV.

Comment

Check the TD 12 specs out

Comment

The TD 15 is a good module not a whole lot of difference in it and the TD 11 .IMO I'd seriously consider ones I mentioned. I think the TD 9 is actually nicer than the TD 11 again just my 2 cents..good luck with whatever you choose my friend.
                    Last edited by edrummer68; 08-12-14, 12:49 AM.

Comment

Yeah, the TD-9 and the TD-12 seem to have quite a following on vdrums. They seem like good first upgrades since they run in the ~$500 range right now.

Is the TD-9 preferred over the TD-15 because of the more inputs?
                      Or did they actually replace all the sound processing and do a worse job of it in the 'upgrade'?

Comment

I believe so. I just don't think the TD 11 or 15 is any better than the 9 version 2..or definitely the 12.

Comment

I think you should focus on starting to play. Get the cheapest (the TD4) and start playing. When you decide to ove on and upgrade, you can still sell the beginner kit and by that time, you will have learned more about e-drumming and will hopefully know where you want to go next. But for now, just start drumming!
                          DTX700, eDRUMin 4+10, A2E Dixon kit, Yamaha cymbals, FSR HH
                          Kit Pix http://vdrums.com/forum/album.php?albumid=613

My new venture, HiEnd Speakers. : voglosounds.com

Comment

+1 on Perceval's suggestion. I too suspect you will learn a lot about e-Drumming and Roland in particular over the next few months - I surely did when I started.

Comment

That's kinda what I was thinking as well. Since at this point I don't know what I even like and TD-4KP is already a perfectly playable set.

Comment

Working...
                              X