Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm going ELECTRIC! Need help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm going ELECTRIC! Need help!

Hello! I'm not new to drumming (I've been a percussionist for 15 years), but I'm new to the forum and I'm new to e-drums. I've been lurking for a while and learning a lot but I'm starting to feel a little overwhelmed so I thought I'd throw out an SOS and hope you experts could lend some advise from your great wisdom! I grew up playing in various jazz bands, then on to a few rock groups. And then suddenly I was married and had three kids (three under four now) and a great full time job- but not much time as I'd like to play because really my only free time is after the kids go to bed. Can't play the acoustic set then! So I'm thinking about an electric conversion. I have access to more spare acoustic shells and cymbals than I can shake a stick at that I've collected over the years so that won't be a problem. I mostly like to play melodically with a lot of ghost notes (which is probably from my jazz background) - but sometimes I like to rock out and really bear down on the heads. So what method of conversion would be best? I'm also trying to carefully walk that line between "how can I get the best response?" vs. "just how cheaply can I pull this off?" because I'm working on a near zero budget. You know. Babies and food and mortgage and stuff. Recommendations for decent module? Anyone selling a decent module for a ridiculously low price? Anyone willing to walk me through it like I'm a four year old? Haha! HELP?! Thank you all so very much for your time and assistance in advance. -feldmac

Welcome!

This should get you started: http://www.quartzpercussions.com/#!philosophy/cfvg

Then you're need a module; Try get a used Roland TD9 (since you're on a budget)

Then get some e-cymbals. (It's possible to convert your acoustic cymbals yourself with dampening, some drilling and piezos and switches for choking, you really need to know what your doing though)

Triggera sell plug-and-play e-cymbals that are really good value next to Roland - worth the cost to save the DIY frustration imo - unless you're chasing a golden finish.
    ◾ Diamond Drums 4pc in Di-Noc carbon ◾ MegaDRUM
    ◾ Roland UA-1010 / cymbals / KT-10 (x2) ◾ Tama / Gibraltar hardware ◾ JBL LSR3 Series 2.1 Monitoring ◾ Pearl THMP-1
    PA Comparison Sheet

Comment

Hey and welcome! I agree with Kab on a TD9 and the trigger system hew recommended. It's probably the easiest way to get started because you can just stretch the straps under a mesh head and go.

You'll also want to put mesh heads so they are quiet, you can just Google mesh drum heads and research the ones that are best for you. The Pearl's are the cheapest but also kinda cheap feeling. But since it's your first build, they might be fine for you.
      TD50 Digital Pack, TD30 and TD9 Modules, custom made pads, Gen16 crashes, and hats plus a few other things that I'm not sure what to do with or why they're still in my kit. Bands: Espada http://www.musicaespada.com/ and JamCo https://www.facebook.com/JamcoEntertainment, https://www.jamcoband.com/

Comment

Thanks for the warm welcome and the information! I'm actually looking at a (used single owner) TD-9 kit that I can get for around $600 after shipping. Would that be simpler way to go for now? Doing the math it'd cost more than that to get a complete set up converting my acoustic kit. Is there a performance advantage to converting the acoustic that I'd be happier with right away over going with the TD-9 kit and upgrading over time?

Comment

There is a popular phrase we like to spout around here; buy your 2nd kit first.

Is there a performance advantage with doing A-to-E... hmm not necessarily. There's a huge psychological advantage though; bigger playing area, deeper toms, authentic looks.

Best thing to do is find a shop that has Roland kits on the shop floor and see how you like playing on them. Of course we can help with anything on the techy side from then on, but beware of GAS (Gear Acquisition Syndrome).

The words "upgrading over time" is a metaphorical black hole for your finances. Because of that, I can pretty much guarantee you'll save more doing a A-to-E conversion in the long run.
          ◾ Diamond Drums 4pc in Di-Noc carbon ◾ MegaDRUM
          ◾ Roland UA-1010 / cymbals / KT-10 (x2) ◾ Tama / Gibraltar hardware ◾ JBL LSR3 Series 2.1 Monitoring ◾ Pearl THMP-1
          PA Comparison Sheet

Comment

Very wise insights! I appreciate all of the input so far. Thank you!

Comment

Working...
            X