Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I really need some advice...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I really need some advice...

I would appreciate as many opinions as I can get. Please weigh in with your thoughts.

I am planning to put together a kit based around Superior Drummer 2.0. I plan to have it loaded on a laptop and trigger it from an e-drum kit.

First...which of the current crop of trigger-to-midi interfaces to buy? This is primary for me. I would like to have at least 12 trigger inputs...as I would like to have at least four toms and three crash cymbals. I would like for it to be able to send midi via USB, for easy connectivity. And I would like for it to be compatible with Roland/Yamaha triggers. I have looked at the Alesis DM10 Module. But I don't need the internal sounds of an actual e-drum module. And I am not sure if it would work with the triggers I want to use. Thoughts?
    Last edited by Hoosierdaddy; 06-19-14, 01:20 PM.
    Drums: Various Kits...Yamaha, Ludwig, Mapex.

Cymbals: Various Zildjian, Sabian and Meinl cymbals

Specifically after a trigger-to-midi interface? Has to be compatible with Roland/Yamaha triggers?

There is only one answer to this really; Megadrum

You can buy a pre-made 32 input module = 16 jacks with positional sensing for 200. - That's midi and power for the module over 1 USB cable to your computer running a VST (Superior Drummer)

That is, if you didn't see anything in bright orange on that e-kit - otherwise that would indicate he was using a 2box - a module which plays VST sounds without the need for a computer.

2box is a drum module from Sweden that works by reading drum sound from memory card. However it won't work with Roland hi-hats without additional mods, and won't work at all with Roland 3-way cymbals.

The final cost of 2box module works out about the same as the cost of a Megadrum + the audio interface you need, for low latency. So about 750, minus the PC and monitors you'll need regardless. FYI; The audio interface is the link which makes edrums respond so much like a real acoustics do. e.g. Roland Octacapture, RME Babyface, Focusright Scarlett.
    ◾ Diamond Drums 4pc in Di-Noc carbon ◾ MegaDRUM
    ◾ Roland UA-1010 / cymbals / KT-10 (x2) ◾ Tama / Gibraltar hardware ◾ JBL LSR3 Series 2.1 Monitoring ◾ Pearl THMP-1
    PA Comparison Sheet

Comment

Well...I have a module already. Three of them in fact. But they are old Roland TD-7 modules and do not have nearly enough trigger inputs to manage what I have in mind. I had a TD-20 module once-upon-a-time but I sold it to buy some more cymbals. After all, he who dies with the most cymbals wins.

So basically, I would like more trigger inputs than the basic five piece set up that the TD-7 module supports. And I would prefer a USB interface because it would make things simpler. And yes, Roland/Yamaha trigger compatibility would be nice as I already have several of those around not currently being used.
      Drums: Various Kits...Yamaha, Ludwig, Mapex.

Cymbals: Various Zildjian, Sabian and Meinl cymbals

Comment

+1 on the megadrum

Comment

Have you thought about combining the midi signals of your current modules with one of these to get the amount of inputs you need?
          http://www.musiciansfriend.com/keybo...s-quadra-merge

They have a 2input and larger versions too.

That said...I like the 2Box option(I have 2 of them)...but the MegaDrum is a powerful tool also....the learning curve can be a bit steep...but angr77 and this thread is very helpful to even the odds a bit.

http://www.vdrums.com/forum/forum/ad...pads-and-links

Here's some info about the 2Box and 3rd party options too...

http://www.vdrums.com/forum/forum/ad...nks-and-builds
          8 piece DIY Acrylic, 2x2Box DrumIt5, Gen16 4xDCP, DIY Acrylic&Gen16 Conversions, Sleishman Twin-QuadSteele hybrid, Gibraltar&DrumFrame rack, DW9502LB, Midi Knights Pro Lighting
          http://www.airbrushartists.org/DreamscapeAirbrushRealm

Comment

Working...
          X