Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Upgrading a TD9 kit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upgrading a TD9 kit

Hi Everyone,

I am using a TD9v2 Module for a few years and I want to upgrade.
    My setup is 3xPD-85 1xPDX-125 2xCY12 1xVH11 1xCY15 and 1xCY5 1xKD-9

I have an option to purchase a used TD-20 module and my question is - Should I notice a big difference? Maybe the TD-15 module is a better upgrade since it's newer (even gthough it has less scalability)? The TD-12 sounds just as good as the TD-20 and it's newer?

Thanks for your input!
    Roland TD-9V2 3xPDX85 1xPD125 2xCY12 1xCY15 1xCY5 VH11 KD9

The td12 and td20 share the same sounds, the main difference is that there are more inputs and outputs on the 20,,,there is an update available for the 12 that gives it most of the editing capability of the 20. The td9 has newer and nicer sounds out of the box, but the td12/20 sounds can be edited to taste, perhaps ending up more suitable than the td9 sounds. The main problem with the td15 is that there is no midi in for expansion, which was a deal breaker for me. But the sounds are very crisp and impressive.
    TD9+6v with Diamond Electronic pads, and cowbell.
    ATH-50m headphones, VEX packs
    not to mention keyboards, guitars, basses, and cats

Comment

Thanks for the info saku, so in other words, the TD20 is not going to give me "better sounds" than the TD9? What about positional sensing and other "features"? The midi is not critical for me at the moment. So a TD15 is a better option than a TD20?
      Roland TD-9V2 3xPDX85 1xPD125 2xCY12 1xCY15 1xCY5 VH11 KD9

Comment

out of the box, the td9 is better than the td20. IF you take the time to edit the sounds, or buy vex packs (www.vexpressionsltd.com), you might find the td20 has more suitable sounds for your needs. And of course positional sensing and interval control, if those are important to you. but if midi (and having mutliple outputs etc) isnt important, than yes, I would strongly consider a td15.
        TD9+6v with Diamond Electronic pads, and cowbell.
        ATH-50m headphones, VEX packs
        not to mention keyboards, guitars, basses, and cats

Comment

SAKU!!!! You're here! Hope all is well.

Listen to Saku, he knows what he's talkin' about...as opposed to me...

K ;-)
          My bands: Alter Ego, Arcanum
          E Kit = Roland TDW-20s kit // Roland SPD-S// Pearl Demon Drives//
          A Kit = Tama Swingstar 5 pc (1981) w/roto toms (orig owner!) //Zildjians
          A Kit = Natal 6 pc with Paiste 2000 & Zildjian/MidiKNights/DrumSplitters

Comment

Working...
          X