No announcement yet.

RINGO is a shining STARR!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oh, my ears are burning! Yes, the internet showed it's worst when a thread about one of the most successful drummers in history deserving some due props, according to an article published by an establishment of the professional drumming community, became a pissing contest adorned with arrogance. Is still going on? I DON'T KNOW. MAYBE.

So which member is/was this Whitten guy anyhow? Please tell me it's hodsmack.

sigpic

Comment

• Ringo gets his props mostly in the form of tons of pounds, euros and dollars.
      Not liking him should be considered un-human and in poor taste.
      "It makes sense if you dont think about it"

Mimic Pro, SPD-SX, 2-QSC K-10s, K-sub, Yamaha mixer, and a bunch of other expensive cool things!

Comment

• Originally posted by Kenster View Post
        @hemiboy..good to see ya man! I too wonder where Daniel has been.
        K
        yea what happened to Daniel?
        Pearl Mimic pro, A to E 7 piece Pearl Decade maple, ddrum Deccabons, Ddrum DDTi, UFO X-bar triggers, Real feel heads, Gibraltar rack, VH13, PD105 side snare, Roc-N-Soc,Tama Iron Cobra, Iron cobra high hat stand, Cobra clutch, Pearl throne thumper, Roland and Kit Toys cymbals, Roland KC 500, Promark

Comment

• Last he posted a td 30 module or kit for sale. That was like a year ago

Comment

• That would be Sir Ringo Starr now.
            Yes, He has been knighted. Can sainthood be far behind?
            "It makes sense if you dont think about it"

Mimic Pro, SPD-SX, 2-QSC K-10s, K-sub, Yamaha mixer, and a bunch of other expensive cool things!

Comment

• Took the words right out of my mouth. Well deserved.
              Equipment: TD-30KV, DW9000 hardware, ROC-N-SOC Throne, Behringer ULTRATONE K3000FX Amp, JBL EON 615 Powered Speaker, Yamaha MG06X. 1965 Ludwig Super Classic. Black diamond pearl. Zildjian K Custom Dark cymbals, DW 7000 hardware, DW 9000 kick pedal.

Comment

• All I'd like to add to this is the concept of the death of heroes.

For me it was Lars. More than any other drummer Lars inspired my ear before I could play anything. Once I learned a few things I quickly realized that Lars ... well he isn't as good as I once thought. For years after this realization (and that whole napster thing) I really disliked Lars. At some point in my adult life I reflected on that. Why? This man and his ability or lack thereof inspired me to learn. I should send him a thank you for that alone. Ringo did a lot for drumming that had little to do with playing in turn inspiring thousands who in turn inspired more.

Anyway, Ringo is Ringo ... his ability to feel the groove IMO is best typified in his role as Caveman in the movie Caveman. Great film, only like 5 words of english spoken in the entire thing but you get it ... and Ringo is there delivering it to you in part by feel and groove alone.

If challenge is what your after in this genre and or time period then just move past Ringo. Moon, Mitchell, and Baker can keep you occupied for quite awhile. I'm sure there are many more but those 3 are all extremely nuanced/complicated drummers.

p.s. FWIW, I'd put Densmore on the mantle as one of the finest understated 'time lord' drummers in the same vein as Ringo.
                TD-25 + TD-6v running - 2 x PD-100s updated with dual Piezo, 3 x PD-120, VH-11, Alesis 16" 3 zone Strike Ride, Alesis 14" Strike crash, 1 x CY-15r, 2 x CY-13r as crash, 1 x Cy-12. iconnectmidi2+ and 2 x iconnect mio for midi triggering.

Comment

• I like them all, they're drummers, for God's sake. I love to drum and my drumming is mediocre at best, however , improving everyday. But I was also inspired by Ringo because honestly, that's when I grew up and started playing. As a matter of fact as the Beatles sang.,when I'm 64. I am 64 this year! Kudos to Sir Ringo!.If you knew my history, that in itself is a major accomplishment. I, like so many others, love Bonham!, But listening and watching guys like Tony Royster , Jr, Dennis Chambers, Steve Gadd, and going back to Louie Bellson. , Buddy Rich, Joe Morello, etc, I realize there were and are countless great drummers that inspire me every day. Anyway. Happy And healthy New Year to all the V drum members !

Comment

• I thought "I guess someone should bump a nearly eight year old thread yet again and it might as well be me", after seeing so many familiar names from years past. Sniff, sniff... is that melancholy I smell? No, just a cross between Lassie and a cantaloupe (a melon-collie baby).

Originally posted by thebaronofsd View Post
                    All I'd like to add to this is the concept of the death of heroes.
                    A little off track but the past few years have not been kind to progressive rock bass players. Chris Squire, John Wetton, Greg Lake. To the best of my knowledge the most notable drummers they have worked with are still around (Bruford, White, Palmer).

Comment

• Originally posted by cheapthrill View Post

It seems like drummers who bash him are younger guys who think that all drumming not involving super-fast double-kick patterns is lame anyway. You know, the "oh, that's sooo easy! I could play that after just one week!" type. If only they knew.
                      Yeah also these guys who bash everyone, they seems to not understand that it's one of the best skill to choose the right thing to play on a music. I mean they are so much easy song to play, but if they were in the place of the people who have CREATE them, I doubt a lot of these people would create the same beautyful song where everything is right like it need to be.
                      I am always amazed at how some musician incorporate such easy things, but they suit so well. It's the emotional part of the music and lots of guys don't understand that, even more when the song come from another period of time than theirs.
                      TD-12, A2E drum, R-Drum trigger (snare and kick), Triggera Intrigg (toms), Drum-tec Design,, Roland & Yamaha cymbals, Roc-N-Soc Nitro, Pearl Eliminator Redline hardware / Trick drive shaft / PC : Asus P8Z68, I5 2550K, 8 Go, SSD ,RME HDSP 9632 interface.

Comment

• Always trying to be musical.
                        Equipment: TD-30KV, DW9000 hardware, ROC-N-SOC Throne, Behringer ULTRATONE K3000FX Amp, JBL EON 615 Powered Speaker, Yamaha MG06X. 1965 Ludwig Super Classic. Black diamond pearl. Zildjian K Custom Dark cymbals, DW 7000 hardware, DW 9000 kick pedal.

Comment

• Originally posted by JimFiore View Post
                          I thought "I guess someone should bump a nearly eight year old thread yet again and it might as well be me", after seeing so many familiar names from years past. Sniff, sniff... is that melancholy I smell? No, just a cross between Lassie and a cantaloupe (a melon-collie baby).

A little off track but the past few years have not been kind to progressive rock bass players. Chris Squire, John Wetton, Greg Lake. To the best of my knowledge the most notable drummers they have worked with are still around (Bruford, White, Palmer).
                          I meant more of the self assassination of heroes. Like in my example, I used to think Lars was amazing. Once I learned to play a little bit, I realized he wasn't technically all that challenging.

at this point I have a choice. mentally thank the man for inspiring me with his sound, or, i can hate on him for not actually being the challenge i originally conceptualized. I failed to thank him and skipped past to hating on him (in part cause of the reaction to streaming). it makes no sense right?

im not old enough for ringo to be a key inspiration for me originally wanting to play drums. if i were ... well frankly i'm not a big beattles fan but lets say I was. I'd likely have gone through that same arc of being inspired by a 'hero' figure, figuring out that what i thought was super challenging may not be, and then faced with the new realization - "what i thought was hard isn't" - and the same choice towards the original inspiration.

I likely would have made the same mistake with Ringo that I did with Lars. This is a working theory for me mind you, something I've sort of pieced together reading online through many different communities. Seems we have this sort of desire to (mentally) kill off our heroes for some reason. I'm not sure why or where it comes from, does it have an anthropological basis? Meaning is this some reaction to normal healthy competition we need(ed) as a species?

Just strikes me as odd that folks like Ringo, Lars, Phil Rudd, etc are absolutely responsible for inspiring millions upon millions .... only to get **** on by 'players' for their lack of ability. It's ... bizarre.

These days I'm trying to mentally thank those who inspired me and thank them for whatever challenge they do/did represent. FWIW, I find sitting in Ringo's pocket more challenging than Lars. Maybe I'm just tuned for straight ahead or maybe its cause I still suck with nuance/ghost notes idk. Neither is particularly challenging to play along to and neither of them have really ever made me rewind a song to go "wtf did he just do there?" like say a Carter Beuford or someone like that.

Lastly, at some point you have to ask yourself why you're spending mental energy attempting to dethrone a zeitgeist legend. The zeitgeist isn't written by you, me, or any other singular entity - yet the zeitgeist exists as a concept and Ringo, Lars, Phil Rudd ... those names are written permanently in the zeitgeist.

Really - who are you to question that?
                          TD-25 + TD-6v running - 2 x PD-100s updated with dual Piezo, 3 x PD-120, VH-11, Alesis 16" 3 zone Strike Ride, Alesis 14" Strike crash, 1 x CY-15r, 2 x CY-13r as crash, 1 x Cy-12. iconnectmidi2+ and 2 x iconnect mio for midi triggering.

Comment

• Yes those kings sat on the throne before us and they will still be there after we have left. By the way. Did you ever play drums for a band that played Shea Stadium. Yeah, me neither

Comment

• I always thought Ringo was a perfect drummer for the rest of the Fab Four. Good, solid, tasteful, but simple drumming.
                              I've always liked Ringo, but I always preferred Keith Moon myself.

The other day, on PBS, they played Ron Howard's 'Eight Days a Week'.
                              It was about the Beatle's touring years and I have to admit, I was totally, TOTALLY blown away with Ringo's drumming!
                              His beats were so powerful and driving. I had no idea he was such a crazy man on the drums.
                              They were so tight by the time they did the stadium shows and he added so much to their live sound.

If you ever had doubts about his talent, please check it out. I really believe you'll be super impressed.

Comment

• Originally posted by thebaronofsd View Post
                                who are you to question that?
                                Can't say I like this line of argument. Everyone has the right to question anything. Whether or not their arguments are logical, rational or meaningful is a separate issue. That is, everyone is entitled to their opinion but not all opinions should have equal weight (if we are talking about quantifiable subject matter).

Personally, I find arguments based on subjective valuations to be a complete waste of time. There is no universal correct answer to questions like "Is chocolate ice cream better than strawberry?" Mind you, you can quantify them in terms of, say, nutritional profile, and determine which one is healthier, but that says nothing about how it tastes. So what do we mean by "better"? Healthier? Tastier? Better compliments some other food item? Has a longer shelf life? Is less expensive? etc....

My cardinal rule regarding debates/arguments is "First, define what you're arguing about". If you discover that you're arguing about subjective taste, stop immediately or recognize that there will be no definitive answer and you're just arguing for the fun of it.

And now for something completely different.

A horse walks into a bar. The bartender says "Hey buddy, why the long face?"
                                A mushroom walks into a bar. The bartender says "We don't like your kind here." The mushroom says "Why not? I'm a fungi."
                                A hungry termite walks into a bar and says "Is the bar tender here?"
                                A proton walks into a bar and orders a dozen shots of gin. The bartender says "Are you sure?" The proton says "I'm positive".

Comment

Working...
                                X