No announcement yet.

Snobbery towards electronic drums

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

well I played traditional drums for almost 50 years before I got an e-kit. I personally dislike mesh heads - I'm used to creating rebound with a tight piece of mylar. so I play yamaha - the silicone snare gives some rebound but not as much as mesh - I'm using the cheaper rubber drums for the toms. to me it feels like the practice pads I learned on as a kid. My acoustic playing as gotten better because of my e-drums.

Comment

further - my band gets gigs other bands with cavemen on drums never will. they are too loud. we aren't. we sound like the records. no one seems to mind that...:-)

Comment

I'd rather practice at home on real size mesh heads and low volume e-cymbals than not practice at all. Any "drummer" disputing this logic isn't a drummer.

Comment

Have never owned an acoustic kit ( apart from to convert to electronic ). I have played a few at jam nights where they are resident and all bands use them but play electronic 99% of the time.

I can't say that I have had too much negative reaction from ' real ' drummers but interestingly my band recently played at a local ' rockfest ' with 3 other bands. It was in a marquee holding maybe 200 people. We were the only ones that had no trouble with feedback and overall volume and guess who got a return gig out of it ?!!!!.

I think that edrums have come such a long way that they are now even preferable to some bands, especially on smaller gigs where overall volume control is much easier.

cheers

Stu

Mimic Pro, diy converted PDP maple 6 piece kit, home made Stave snares, ATV, Roland and Yamaha cymbals and 3 x BT1 bar triggers, DW9000 hat stand, DW5000 double pedal, gibraltar hardware. Mapex converted compact practice kit.

Comment

My band actively looked for an edrummer as the lead guitarist was concerned with hearing loss/stage noise

Comment

i went to a music fair once, with all kinds of stands.. then i saw a crowd gathered around a booth, and everybody was smiling that walked away..
              in the booth was an old gray guy.. with just a pad and sticks .. and his hands were going llrrrllrrllrrr paradrrrr drllrrllrr fast !
              his name was Jim Chapin .. ..and everybody was trying out what he taught .. every drummer was in awe with just his skills..
              it doesn't matter what you play on .. but it matters 'what' you play .. if a drummer is not open minded about this ..
              and/or uses 'anything' to learn .. then i don't have to guess how they play .. i would not be adversary to anything that could make you better ..

Comment

This is an old question and there are many variations on it across many fields (not just drums). The way I see it, you have two choices in these situations:
                1. Do what other people want you to do.
                2. Do what you want to do.
                Assuming no one gets hurt either way, if these other people are paying your bills, doing #1 is fine. If they're not, eff them and do #2.

You're not here just to conform to other people's expectations and prejudices.

Comment

Originally posted by JimFiore View Post
                  You're not here just to conform to other people's expectations and prejudices.
                  THIS belongs on a t shirt and in the Quote of the Day thread!

My bands: Alter Ego, Arcanum
                  E Kit = Roland TDW-20s kit // Roland SPD-S// Pearl Demon Drives//
                  A Kit = Tama Swingstar 5 pc (1981) w/roto toms (orig owner!) //Zildjians
                  A Kit = Natal 6 pc with Paiste 2000 & Zildjian/MidiKNights/DrumSplitters

Comment

Yeah Kenster, but you're not here to put other people's quotes on tee-shirts, either.

Unless you sell tee-shirts with quotes on them for a living. Or maybe if it's a really good quote such that it changes your perspective of life. Or if you're hungry and have run out of the official snack of the First Church of the One True Snack (tm). (Those of you who don't know to what I'm referring will need to engage the search engine.)

Comment

but you're not here to put other people's quotes on tee-shirts, either.
                      but that would make a hell of a T-shirt .. "you're not here to put other peoples quotes on a t-shirt" .. (end quote on the back..)

Comment

Yeah Kenster, but you're not here to put other people's quotes on tee-shirts, either.

Unless you sell tee-shirts with quotes on them for a living. Or maybe if it's a really good quote such that it changes your perspective of life. Or if you're hungry and have run out of the official snack of the First Church of the One True Snack (tm). (Those of you who don't know to what I'm referring will need to engage the search engine.)
                        FOCOTS!!!!! Love it!
                        My bands: Alter Ego, Arcanum
                        E Kit = Roland TDW-20s kit // Roland SPD-S// Pearl Demon Drives//
                        A Kit = Tama Swingstar 5 pc (1981) w/roto toms (orig owner!) //Zildjians
                        A Kit = Natal 6 pc with Paiste 2000 & Zildjian/MidiKNights/DrumSplitters

Comment

Originally posted by Macarina View Post
                          When it comes to the snobbery, any snobbery, I just consider the source. Typically it's just opinions from people who don't know much about the subject, but want to espouse their thoughts onto others.
                          I find this thinking more mainstream in today's social culture. It's always been around, but people are more willing to display how ignorant they are.

The one negative that does actually have an impact on us e-drummers, if a potential band is looking for drummer and they automatically discount the drummer and his equipment purely based on bias.
                          In brief, this describes what a manipulator/narcissist does. It looks to me that there is a malignant narcissism spreading out there, despite it's about edrums or else. Sorry for the OT.
                          OTOH I understand that e-drums have been "toys" for years but technology changes...
                          Roland TD-12 module, DIY DareStone CLDRUMWH A2E drum conversion, DIY rack using Dixon clamps, Pearl P-932 double pedal.

Comment

Working...
                          X