Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Snobbery towards electronic drums

Hi all,

it's common knowledge (at least here in Italy where i live) that many drummers who only play acoustic, be it beginners or longtimers, have a tendency to look down on people who mainly play e-kits. Usually their argument is that you aren't really learning to play drums with e-drums, especially with entry-level kits, i.e. dynamics and muscle memory, and that you are aided too much with rebounds and sound of a mesh head. So usually a drummer reaction when i tell him i'm learning drums with a compact Roland with mesh heads is something like "man get a real drumset and then we'll talk". This mortifies me considerably, especially because i chose vdrums for sound volume (i have neighbours) and basically have no other choice if i want to play.

So what's your personal experience on the matter? How many arrogant drummers with an elitist attitude have you meet? And what's YOUR point of view when the matter arises?

I've gassed on about this many times. (Indeed, this was recently raised on an FB group this am.). Some drummers are stuck on 1958. That's their problem; all other band musicians have moved on.
    *** Never buy a module without MIDI IN ***
    DTX modules. Roland TM-2, SP-404. Multi12. TrapKat. ControlPad. Wavedrum. Handsonic. Dynacord RhythmStick. MPC. Paiste 2002/Signatures. Cajons. Djembes. Darbuka. Windsynth. MIDI Bass. Tenori-on. Loads o' synth modules. And...a ukulele or three.

Comment

I think in an ideal world we could all practice on real drums but thatís not the case. I practice on a ekit as does my son. Live I use real and electronics. Ignore them and keep practicing
      Roland TD30 module on TD20 kit SD3 with various kits. Pearl Masters Kit, Yamaha 9000RC original natural wood finish. Cymbals from Zildgian Pasite and Sabian. Loads of percussion bits. Cubase and Wavelab always current versions.

Comment

Use whatís best for you. If an acoustic kit is micíd up, it sounds electric anyway after the sound guy works on it. To be honest, I am playing both.
        Equipment: TD-30KV, DW9000 hardware, ROC-N-SOC Throne, Behringer ULTRATONE K3000FX Amp, JBL EON 615 Powered Speaker, Yamaha MG06X. 1965 Ludwig Super Classic. Black diamond pearl. Zildjian K Custom Dark cymbals, DW 7000 hardware, DW 9000 kick pedal.

Comment

Originally posted by jimorlando View Post
          If an acoustic kit is micíd up, it sounds electric anyway after the sound guy works on it
          Yeah, it's really pathetic when drummers say electronic kits sound "sterile", since it's the exact same sound they want to achieve when they're recording...

Comment

i love acoustic drums too, but it is very hard to find or afford a place to play them without disturbing neighbors and family. so it is a blessing to have electronic drums to be able to play whenever i want. and now days E-drums are sounding more realistic. especially now that i have the MP. but frankly, i could care less what others think of what i play. have fun

PS: if i had edrums at the beginning, (70's) my poor mom would have not suffered daily headaches.
            Pearl Mimic pro, A to E 7 piece Pearl Decade maple, ddrum Deccabons, Ddrum DDTi, UFO X-bar triggers, Real feel heads, Gibraltar rack, VH13, PD105 side snare, Roc-N-Soc,Tama Iron Cobra, Iron cobra high hat stand, Cobra clutch, Pearl throne thumper, Roland and Kit Toys cymbals, Roland KC 500, Promark

Comment

i frequently run into drummers who look down on edrums, and most assume that i, like them, moved to edrums either because they're quieter for practice or due to space issues. funny thing is, i never played drums till i got into edrums, and i actually prefer playing them. i don't worry about what other drummers - or anyone else - think about what i play.
              Yamaha DTX502 module, 3 Pintech 10 inch Concertcast Dual Zone pads, Pintech PC10, PCY100 and PCY135.on a Roland MDS-7 rack.

Comment

DTX modules. Roland TM-2, SP-404. Multi12. TrapKat. ControlPad. Wavedrum. Handsonic. Dynacord RhythmStick. MPC. Paiste 2002/Signatures. Cajons. Djembes. Darbuka. Windsynth. MIDI Bass. Tenori-on. Loads o' synth modules. And...a ukulele or three.

Comment

When it comes to the snobbery, any snobbery, I just consider the source. Typically it's just opinions from people who don't know much about the subject, but want to espouse their thoughts onto others.
                  I find this thinking more mainstream in today's social culture. It's always been around, but people are more willing to display how ignorant they are.

The one negative that does actually have an impact on us e-drummers, if a potential band is looking for drummer and they automatically discount the drummer and his equipment purely based on bias.

Comment

Originally posted by Macarina View Post
                    if a potential band is looking for drummer and they automatically discount the drummer and his equipment purely based on bias.
                    Which is a lucky escape - you don't want to end up with people like that....

Comment

I've played drums on and off since the early 60's and owned many traditional kits, the reality is that a particular kit has a sound based on shell construction and design, head tension and so on, and you can only tweek the sound. But your basically locked into that sound. With V-Drums you can change from Rock to Jazz to Reggae with the push of a button and you've opened up endless possibitities to learn and expand. Mesh heads or not, drums don't play themselves.

Comment

Originally posted by electrodrummer View Post
                        I like the Star Trek refenerce and Mr. Spock of course, but I am NOT a Treky! Well maybe a little bit. More truth though, I have some 1930 Ludwig and Ludwig drums that I like to play as well. I donít have an acoustic drum that was made after 1970. Iím lucky to be able to play all of them.
                        Equipment: TD-30KV, DW9000 hardware, ROC-N-SOC Throne, Behringer ULTRATONE K3000FX Amp, JBL EON 615 Powered Speaker, Yamaha MG06X. 1965 Ludwig Super Classic. Black diamond pearl. Zildjian K Custom Dark cymbals, DW 7000 hardware, DW 9000 kick pedal.

Comment

Working...
                        X