Genesis, worst remixes/remasters ever heard

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Genesis, worst remixes/remasters ever heard

Seems I'm ranting a lot lately, but this one... I just had to... as it was just excruciating to hear.

I have been wanting to get the SACD versions of Genesis albums, but I was hesitant because of all the bad reviews it got online (although some people didn't mind the new remixes).

Got to have a listen with a friend who has a few of the Genesis' SACDs and a decent system.

Started with Nursery Cryme, and as soon as the first note of The Musical Box hit, I cringed....

I looked at the list of people who worked on this:

Produced by: John Anthony
    Tape Jockey: Mike Stone
    Recorded at: Trident Studios, London
    5.1 Surround Sound and Stereo mixes: Nick Davis
    Remastered by Tony Cousins

I don't know who on that list dropped the ball, but these tracks sound like a 12-year-old kid on sugar rush went to town with compression and EQ... there's clipping and ringing all over.

These tracks must have a DR rating of -3 !!!!
    Katy Perry's albums almost seem dynamic compared to this!

Peter Gabriel's voice sounds like it's coming out of its nose, instead of its mouth.

I could go on and on... I even tried with a pair of headphones... it was just as bad. I asked to put the original CD on, to make sure I wasn't hearing his system... nope, the CD sounded fine.

Overall, it was probably the most atrocious experience I've heard. Probably didn't help that I'm a hardcore Genesis fan.

It's so sad that a beautiful progressive rock band with all of its intricacies, has been made to sound like an overdubbed rap band.

At the price they are asking for these things, I'll be saving my money for other toys... but I'll sure never buy those horrible SACD remixes.

Be warned.
    DTX700, A2E Dixon kit, Yamaha cymbals, FSR HH Kit Pix

My new venture: voglosounds.com

I totally agree with you. It's not only this one though. When the back catalogue of albums were re-mixed they also went mad on compression and tried to brighten them up as well. I snapped my old CD of Lamb Lies Down getting it out of the case and can't get a decent copy now. To me the best sounding live album is Seconds out. It's not the one with the most bass or cleanest recording but it captures the performance brilliantly. I still have all the vinyl versions which I still play now and again. I have heard a few SACD and none have sounded too good to me. These were meant to be in Stereo :-) Massive fan as well if you hadn't noticed lol.
    Roland TD30 module on TD20 kit SD2 with various kits. Pearl Masters Kit, Yamaha 9000RC original natural wood finish. Cymbals from Zildgian Pasite and Sabian. Loads of percussion bits.

Comment

Yeah, the reviews online of those SACD remixes are harsh. I thought some of them were exaggerated a bit, but now I know... the reviews are all true.

On "The Return of the Giant Hogweed"... Peter's voice sounds exactly like Ozzy Osborne. The whole song is now an OzzFest. Ozzy fans will be going: "hey, I didn't know Ozzy sang for Genesis!"

I listened to those with the stereo remix, not the 5.1 surround.

And yeah, major fan.... before a concert, we would get around a table, with our ticket in front of us... we would mention a song's name, and if you couldn't say the first lyric's line, we would tear up your ticket!

The good ol' times...

Comment

Lol crazy game. I'd probably be ok up to Abacab after that I don't think I could get the opening lyrics of a lot of them. I do have all the albums after that I just don't like them as much. We used to sit and listen to dance on the volcano when my parents had gone out and basically do air drumming along. None of us played drums then but it was my inspiration to start.
        Roland TD30 module on TD20 kit SD2 with various kits. Pearl Masters Kit, Yamaha 9000RC original natural wood finish. Cymbals from Zildgian Pasite and Sabian. Loads of percussion bits.

Comment

I've been a big Genesis fan ever since the release of their 1980 album, Duke. Before that, I really didn't understand any of their work. Too artsy, too intellectual. It was on Duke where Phil Collins' presence became more apparent.

I think Invisible Touch was the group's undisputed masterpiece. It's an epic meditation on intangibility. At the same time, it deepens and enriches the meaning of the preceding three albums. Listen to the brilliant ensemble playing of Banks, Collins and Rutherford. You can practically hear every nuance of every instrument. In terms of lyrical craftsmanship, the sheer songwriting, this album hits a new peak of professionalism.

Take the lyrics to "Land of Confusion". In this song, Phil Collins addresses the problems of abusive political authority. "In Too Deep" is the most moving pop song of the 1980s, about monogamy and commitment. The song is extremely uplifting. Their lyrics are as positive and affirmative as anything I've heard in rock.

Phil Collins' solo career seems to be more commercial and therefore more satisfying, in a narrower way. Especially songs like "In the Air Tonight" and, uh, "Against All Odds". But I also think Phil Collins works best within the confines of the group, than as a solo artist, and I stress the word artist.
          Alan

Comment

Mkok, good inspiration indeed.

Alan, I'm more a Gabriel era fan myself, and to me, The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway is simply amazing song writing and story telling.
            After Then They Were Three, Collins steered the band into the era that you like better. A bit more commercial, easier access to the music. I actually enjoyed that era as well, obviously for different reasons. The original idea of the band was shifted to a more fun and playful feeling, no doubt infused by Collins. Even though they would tackle strong political or racial history issues, they also kept it light and didn't take themselves too seriously, with songs like I Can't Dance!

Unfortunately, I couldn't bare myself to listen to their last Calling All Stations, with only Banks and Rutherford left. I guess I don't want to spoil my idea of what I think Genesis is to me.

We each take what we need from music, having different needs at different times.

To me, Genesis will always be Gabriel, Collins, Banks, Hackett, Rutherford.
            Even though I also enjoyed the Collins years.

Comment

I'm with you on how I view Genesis material Perceval and am a big Peter Gabriel fan as well. A bit too pop the later stuff but still some classic tracks.

Comment

Apparently, I've pwned two so far.
                Alan

Comment

I'm a big Phil Collins fan (not sure if you can tell from
                  my header!). No Jacket Required was what pulled me in and I then started buying the not so old Genesis CDs. I love Invisible Touch, but then I'm more into pop than prog rock. I can certainly appreciate the older Genesis stuff but for me, I prefer Genesis with Phil on the mic and Mike and Tony playing with him.
                  Owner of TD11K. Pearl P900 bass pedal. Vater Sugar Maple Super Jazz sticks.

Comment

I read that Duke was the album they butchered the most with the SACD release. Can't imagine how bad it could sound if I already thing Nursery Cryme was almost unrecognisable...

Comment

Wow. This thread brought back great high school memories sitting in Kirk's mom's basement, listening to Lamb Lies Down, Selling England, and all the other Gabriel-led albums. Lots of Yes, also.
                      Living in a Manhattan apartment, playing/practicing on an A2E Sonor Martini kit with DIY triggers, TD-11, DIY Griffin 14"x5.5", VH-11/DW3K, Kick/DW3K, Superior Drummer 2, Mac OS X, Audio-Technica ATH-M40x, Zildjian Greendip Maple 7As, Roland Noise Eaters, currently DIYing eBay IRIN Cymbals.

Comment

Working...
                      X