Announcement

Collapse

Forum Talk Posting Guidelines

vBULLETIN DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST PRODUCT OR TECHNICAL QUESTIONS!

See more
See less

Help with Search Engine

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with Search Engine

Members routinely tell us to UTFSE (use the “fabulous” search engine) yet I have problems with vB5’s functionality. Is there a way to request a specific multi-word search (e.g., return only Chicago Illinois not Chicago and/or Illinois)? Most search engines allow this by framing the search request with quotation marks (i.e., “Chicago Illinois”).

This has been covered many times. I have asked vB if the search engine can be changed to allow hyphens and quotes. I've asked this for years... probably since vB3. They've always told me no. This is why we created the external Google search. However, we have a screwed up DNS setting right now that is stopping Google from seeing us as intended. Ben is getting this fixed for us, then Google should see us again. I have already created a new external Google search, and will undelete that thread once it is functioning properly. At this time, it shows no results, or even that the website is here. That will be repaired as soon as the DNS redirect issue is corrected.
    Alan
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    website | youtube | facebook | group | newsletter | message | recommendations

Comment

Thanks Alan. Hopefully the Google things up real soon.
      Much appreciated....

Comment

Once the DNS issue is corrected, Google should get us indexed within a couple of weeks. (generally) I'm just waiting to see the data populate the search engine. At this time, we don't exist. That should change soon.
        Alan
        ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

After many years, I have confirmed that a request for search engine improvement - including at least hyphens - has been submitted to vB by their tech support. I have no further news at this time, but I will watch for it's development, and report any change expected.
          Alan

Comment

Development has been talking about this possibility recently. However, it does not sound like they will be implementing such an option. (it's too long to explain why they can't) However, our Google search in the Lounge has now worked for a couple of months. Google will continue to crawl us and add content in the coming months. This is the best solution we have found to date.
            Alan

Comment

Working...
            X