Announcement

Collapse

Forum Talk Posting Guidelines

vBULLETIN DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST PRODUCT OR TECHNICAL QUESTIONS!

If you cannot post, please visit our Forum Talk forum for answers to more frequently asked questions.

Is your post missing? Please read forum descriptions & guidelines within before posting in the wrong forum.

See more
See less

Where did everyone go?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I don't remember any such talk either. In fact, I'm still not convinced the 30 will have an expansion release. Since most people looked at it as a 20XX, I think most are hoping for a new flagship release next. At least, I am. To confuse matters even more, the manual (which has always mentioned expandability) does not mention any expansion option.
    Alan
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    website | youtube | facebook | group | newsletter | twitter | message | recommendations

Comment

• Agreed, Alan. Unlike the TD-20 which had an access slot at the bottom (like the TD-10 before it), there's nowhere for an expansion card in the TD-30. Sure, there may be firmware upgrades, etc. But there was never any mention that the TD-30 was anything but a fully-fledged model, sold in its full glory. I think the OP may be confusing uninformed pre-launch speculation with reality.
      . digitalDrummer
      Review index

Comment

• I looked at the 30 as Roland's "beta release" of the new engine. This is why I say I'm not convinced they were planning expansion for it. I'll just say that I won't be surprised to see a TD-40 as early as next NAMM. I know that is off Roland's historical track, but that is what I believe will be their next flagship move. I just don't see them issuing an expansion via USB. I don't know technically if the module is capable of receiving such an update. I agree, firmware updating is simple; but to add new libraries of sounds seems a bit of a stretch via USB, just IMO. Although, I may be completely off.

The only thing I'll add is ...actually, two things... If they move toward the 25 UI, or if they do issue a basic expansion for the 30, I think Roland will begin to lose a lot of the market they've worked so hard to capture. I know the market is evolving, but I don't think it is converting as much into the hybrid thing as they think there it is. That targets a very small niche of professional touring drummers IMO. I don't think local music scenes (where the TD line targets IMO) call for it as much.
        Alan
        -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        website | youtube | facebook | group | newsletter | twitter | message | recommendations

Comment

• well this is embarrassing, maybe I'm wrong, it seems that i picked up on the capabilities of expansion via usb while watching a promo vid when the TD30 was first announced.
          Pearl Mimic pro, A to E 7 piece Pearl Decade maple, ddrum Deccabons, Ddrum DDTi, UFO X-bar triggers, Real feel heads, Gibraltar rack, VH13, PD105 side snare, Roc-N-Soc,Tama Iron Cobra, Iron cobra high hat stand, Cobra clutch, Pearl throne thumper, Roland and Kit Toys cymbals, Roland KC 500, Promark

Comment

• I believe what you may remember was the part where they highlighted the new use of USB connectivity for various tasks; including being able to play songs and such from the stick. I do remember them talking about the USB connectivity in a way that was a little confusing as to it's true purpose. I could have missed it, but I was listening very closely to those parts to see if they mentioned expansion. I even spoke with Drew at the time because I was digging to see if it was possible to play wav files as samples. This is when he found out that it was possible to play one sound from the stick, but thought that may not have been actually intended. (I'm talking about assigning a single wav from the stick to a pad here)

Regardless, I'm not convinced of the efficiency in using USB for expansion in the TD-30. It would depend on the internal ROM memory, and if they planned additional memory for future uploading of additional sound files. I think many would agree that if they planned this in advance years ago, we'd be very leery of any "improvement" in quality. Simply put, I think many are growing tired of Roland being behind in fidelity. I'm ready for a new generation myself.
            Alan

Comment

• some how i was under the impression that there was enough memory to accommodate and expansion via upload via usb. it's been too long to remember where i got that notion. oh well, we'll see what their next offering brings. it will definitely need to be much more than a re branded td30.
              when that time comes, i will just wait till the dust settles and see who is still blown away before i lay down the $$
              we need something that will be a game changer to bring this forum back life again.
              Pearl Mimic pro, A to E 7 piece Pearl Decade maple, ddrum Deccabons, Ddrum DDTi, UFO X-bar triggers, Real feel heads, Gibraltar rack, VH13, PD105 side snare, Roc-N-Soc,Tama Iron Cobra, Iron cobra high hat stand, Cobra clutch, Pearl throne thumper, Roland and Kit Toys cymbals, Roland KC 500, Promark

Comment

Working...
              X