Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Still being worked on?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Still being worked on?

So, the forum has gone through some major changes in the past months. When will it be like all the other forums I visit?

It still takes a ridiculous amount of time (30 - 45 sec) to post and most of the time I get a "empty response" error although the post goes through.
    Sometimes a search never does finish and when it does complete the subjects found have no relevance to the search.
    I have visited many forums and most are running vBulletin just nowhere near as high a version number as 5.1.2
    You would think a later version would be a good thing. I'm guessing vBulletin is giving you a great deal to run their beta versions?
    I have never experienced any error / latency on any other forum I have visited.
    What makes this forum so different? (other than being the best for e-drums).
    I can appreciate the time it takes to run a forum and respect those that do.
    I just feel like there is a failure in the system somewhere that still needs to be addressed.
    Thanks for your hard work.
    "It makes sense if you dont think about it"

Mimic Pro, SPD-SX, 2-QSC K-10s, K-sub, Yamaha mixer, and a bunch of other expensive cool things!

If you're experiencing speed issues *today*, it is most likely because I've asked them to create me a backup of the site. While a database takes mere minutes to backup, a full site takes much longer. If this has been an ongoing issue, then I'd say the issue is more on your end. I have tested the site from multiple locations and browsers since the move. I have not experienced any speed issues in any of the cases. I have not experienced issues with the search speed either. I agree older forums will still run faster due to the basic coding involved. The new scripting in vB5 is not within our control. As for addressing all the issues, I think you'd be shocked at what I've handled behind the scenes. I won't go into details, but I've put vB, hosting and everyone involved through hell for about a year now.
    Alan
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    website | youtube | facebook | group | newsletter | message | recommendations

Comment

I think we all appreciate the hard work and time you have always spent here!
      The amount of issues / time you have had to spend on vB stuff just seems insane.

I can go to any forum and a post will take less than 5 seconds to complete. This (slowness) has been an ongoing issue here for many months since moving past version 3 I think.
      My complaint lies with vBulletin as that seems to be the only difference (version #) between here and everywhere else.
      Is there no incentive for vB to want to make this site shine?
      I do not always use the same computer or location, browser, etc. to access the site but the result is always the same (slower than any other forum).
      Maybe if you didn't have to spend so much time doing vB stuff we would have more VEX packs to play with?

Thanks again for all that you do Alan!

Mimic Pro, SPD-SX, 2-QSC K-10s, K-sub, Yamaha mixer, and a bunch of other expensive cool things!

Comment

Funny thing both posts I did here took only 1 to 2 seconds to complete.

Comment

What OS are you running? What's your connection speed?
          Alan
          ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

Windows 7 32 bit, Windows 8.1 64 bit at home. on different computers. Using chrome or IE.
            IOS, 7.1 mobile ipad and iphone. using safari.
            At home 50meg speed
            Mobile verizon LTE

Comment

I'd say maybe try Firefox. Chrome and IE aren't the best browsers now days. I was a Chrome fan for years, but FF blows it away these days. I do think vB is still working out a lot of coding issues across the multiple platforms. I know all three browsers have exhibited issues with vB. FF exhibits the least IMO.
              Alan

Comment

Thanks I will give it a shot.

Comment

Although it is way better than before, it is indeed sluggish compared to other forums running vB as well. For example, DIYAudio or Gearslutz give me lightning page openings and postings.

Here, I get the "working" little flag for more than a few seconds often, and multiple errors, like Database errors, or posting, then coming back to a page and it would tell me there is previously saved content.

At least, it is usable. But far from perfect.
                  Don't worry Alan, I know it's not your fault and you are doing the best you can for us. We all appreciate it so much.
                  DTX700, eDRUMin 4+10, A2E Dixon kit, Yamaha cymbals, FSR HH
                  Kit Pix http://vdrums.com/forum/album.php?albumid=613

My new venture, HiEnd Speakers. : voglosounds.com

Comment

Again, these older sites are running very old versions with very basic platforms. Both GS and DIYA are running 3.8. Unfortunately, we cannot go backwards without losing all our data.

The fact is, we kept up with the updates over the years because our forum was targeted by hackers many times. We almost lost everything several times because they found ways in.

While keeping up with the updates, we reached a level in version 4 that locked us into a major loss of function problem. No one knows what happened, but I think it was simply because a table conversion wasn't done during the install. We don't know if that was a software issue, or host issue. Regardless, we worked through both. To keep all our data and remedy the issue, we moved to version 5.

vB5 is a new platform, and they are working the bugs out. This takes time. If you look at the bottom right corner, you'll see that we're only at 5.1. When we hit 5.3, and still have issues, then you can start up again.
                    Alan

Comment

The latest upgrade seems to of not fixed anything I can tell so far but it did add a new error message when posting something like "bad server response" . This is in addition to the still present "empty response" message. (this thread posts immediate for some reason though). Go figure! LOL
                      Still very slow to post on some threads 15 - 30 seconds.
                      Just letting you know!
                      Last edited by Intruder; 09-19-14, 12:43 AM. Reason: this thread posts fast most others have a long delay.

Comment

I am aware of the issues. I suffer random issues on random, yet specific, threads. I gave vB another list today. I have a feeling there is a problem inside the database they need to track down. I'm trying to give them every problem I find so they can figure it out. As for speed, I still cannot produce an issue in that realm. No other members have reported speed issues, outside the random reply freeze we both mention above. I get those on one single thread only. If you're having site-wide speed issues, I still think you have something on your end, whether it's virus software or what, that's impacting you individually. I have tested IE, Chrome, Safari and Firefox from multiple locations, and in different cities, on multiple connections and speeds.
                        Alan

Comment

Additionally, if you would like to point out where you have specific issues, I will test them myself.
                          Alan

Comment

My last post took nearly a minute - then received "Empty Response", but it did go through.

--------
                            EDIT: This post went through immediately -- weird....

Comment

I find it interstong that it's always you two. It makes me wonder if it's member based. I wonder what you two have in common. Hmmmmm.
                              Alan

Comment

Working...
                              X