Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Low latency basic interface

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Low latency basic interface

Hi people!

Im looking to get a new firewire - usb or internal card to play Vst's

So far i used :

Presonus firebox : Good but there mas some minor latency
    Saffire pro14 : Better latency , but lowest mode intruced some clipping so i had to upper the buffer

Dont need any other functions other than a midi in and the lowest latency posible

Let me know what u guys are using and your thougths

Thx!!

Easy. Firebox is no longer supported, so not that one. Focusrite has a couple of units that are interested, and offers good support. Try to pick one with MIDI so you can have all your connections at the same place. Also, if you are using a PC, follow some guides on the net on how to clean up and speed up your computer for audio. That should help with latency as well.
    DTX700, eDRUMin 4+10, A2E Dixon kit, Yamaha cymbals, FSR HH
    Kit Pix http://vdrums.com/forum/album.php?albumid=613

My new venture, HiEnd Speakers. : voglosounds.com

Comment

Get a used RME 9632 for around 200USD if you have PCI, AIO when you have PC Express, they are the fastest Cards with D/A on board...you can use very old hardware, it has almost no effect on latency.
      You can use 32 buffer settings which are rocksteady, not with other or external interfaces.
      RME Babyface goes down on to 44 buffer, about 2ms more latency.

UAD Apollo with a brand new apollo driver (3 weeks old) have improved their Thunderbolt connection (which is basically an external PCI connection) and shut down firewire, it seems it could do also quite fast, but I have no experience with it.

Both RME AIO (adjustable in the driver panel, 3 steps) and Apollo have loud headphones out, which is convenient and often necessary for certain headphones. My favorite headphones right now Shure 1540, neutral, not harsh, good isolation, cool soundstage for a closed headphone, very good midrange, very light, non sweaty...killer e-drum headphone.
      Last edited by Ribot; 05-24-14, 02:11 PM.
      Desktop PC I5 Asus, Asus P8Z77, RME AIO, RME ADI2pro, RME Digiface USB, Mac Air 2014, Zoom Tac2r, Apollo Twin MKI Solo TD30, Vh13, Drum Tec pro pads, BFD3, Henry Hirsch, Peter Erskine, Evil Drums, Superior 3.0, Decades, Cubase 10, Reaper, Ludwig 67 Kit all sizes from 22, Ludwig Cob, 4*14, Slingerland 50s, Paiste Modern Ess, Zildjian Constantinople

Comment

Roland Octa-Capture is (the only?) USB interface that will run at 32 samples (0.7ms) 48000hz which is tested at 3.2 RTL on my Q6600 system.

Stable in BFD3 so far, difficult knowing how good an interface actually is though, when you've got nothing to compare it too and have no obvious flaws, it just works lol.
        ◾ Diamond Drums 4pc in Di-Noc carbon ◾ MegaDRUM
        ◾ Roland UA-1010 / cymbals / KT-10 (x2) ◾ Tama / Gibraltar hardware ◾ JBL LSR3 Series 2.1 Monitoring ◾ Pearl THMP-1
        PA Comparison Sheet

Comment

I have an ESI ESP1010 which gives me 1.4ms latency (as displayed by Reaper) at 64 samples under Windows 8.1, but sadly that product was discontinued (it was followed by a PCIe version which is also discontinued), it was amazing value. You might find them used though, and ESI has newer products but I have no experience using them.
          TD8, PD125, PD80R, PD9, 3 PD7s, KD8 + Tama Iron Cobra, KD7 + DW7000, CY-12H, CY-12R, MDS-8C, ESP1010, Reaper+SD2+8GB i7

Comment

Thx for all the inputs!!
            any thougths on native komplete audio 6??
            will it run at 32 buffer?

Comment

Native komplete audio 6 is a nice looking interface with large volume control on the top. Latency is not amazing. Looks to be about 18ms RTL at 256 buffer, probably best achieves 12ms at 64 with a fast PC.

32 will definitely not be possible, since it's price tag just too low I'm afraid. - Never will a product undercut the competition that much on latency. Features and functions yes, but latency and cost go hand in hand, up to a certain point (about 50-1000) whereby the more you pay the lower the latency, unless you get really dodgy drivers, but I would certain hope never to have bad drivers with the really premium interfaces.
              ◾ Diamond Drums 4pc in Di-Noc carbon ◾ MegaDRUM
              ◾ Roland UA-1010 / cymbals / KT-10 (x2) ◾ Tama / Gibraltar hardware ◾ JBL LSR3 Series 2.1 Monitoring ◾ Pearl THMP-1
              PA Comparison Sheet

Comment

Wise words from Kabonfaiba. 12ms is noticable

Comment

Thx for the input kabonfaiba , oddly was rated as a low latency interface thats what made me look into them.
                  Sadly i cant get the Roland Octa-Capture locally , only the dual and the quad, any info on them?
                  any website with actual benchmarks on latency for current interfaces? the ones i found gave the komplete 6 a good review sitting at the middle of the list ( above most middle and entry level ones )

Comment

Do you only need for your e-drum, or are you looking at an interface for the whole band?

Comment

E DRUM ONLY!

Comment

so, why are you looking at an octo? do you need the 8 inputs? Or just the MIDI going into your computer. and main outputs?

Comment

i do not need a single input , just want a low latency midi interface. Sadly as u go up in price , the latency is lower , that comes with features and more inputs wich i dont need.

Comment

This site http://forum.dawbench.com/showthread...5c18dea4b3826e states that the Presonus audiobox has 7ms at 64 samples , wich should be good enough right?

The komplete 6 its also listed and does 10ms , but its supouse to do 32 buffer as well.

My main concern its that my latest focusrite card did not worked at all at the lowest buffer setting introducing clipping while in toontrack solo or reaper.

Comment

If you can afford it, the best drivers and support will be from RME. If you can get a Babyface (new or used) than that would be your best bet. Small and fast.

The Presonus Firebox is a dead product. Do not go there. They are trying to get their drivers up to date for their other products... which are USB.

M-Audio seems to fare well from that page you posted.

My best guess is... get the RME and sleep well. Or, if you can't, get another interface (M-Audio, Focusrite, etc...) from a place you can send it back should it not work as you'd expect.

Also, remember to tweak your computer for audio duties, as I mentioned before. A good interface will be wasted if your computer is not optimized for it.

Comment

Working...
                              X