Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who's Triggering VSTs with a TDW-20 module...Mac Pro and ProTools?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who's Triggering VSTs with a TDW-20 module...Mac Pro and ProTools?

Just wondering about your experiences with this specific setup...or at least with the TD-20/TDW20. Any "Pros or Cons"? What Interface are you using? Latency? The TDW-20 will be used solely for triggering midi for replacement in ProTools in the studio(no internal sounds or audio will be used). Any suggestions or comments about doing this?
    8 piece DIY Acrylic, 2x2Box DrumIt5, Gen16 4xDCP, DIY Acrylic&Gen16 Conversions, Sleishman Twin-QuadSteele hybrid, Gibraltar&DrumFrame rack, DW9502LB, Midi Knights Pro Lighting
    http://www.airbrushartists.org/DreamscapeAirbrushRealm

I have the TD -12 with the VH -11 so its very similar and I use NI Komplete Audio 6 interface that Im very happy with and use Reaper DAW to play my VST's. I dont exactly understand what you want to know ? I can tell you there aren't any VST's out there that will give you Hi Hat play good as the module.. Not even close. There are some better than others but the Hi Hat is a HUGE weakness in VST's You want to have a very good audio interface to achieve the lowest latency and you may have to tweak your pad settings a tad to get the best response from VST's. The RME Babyface is the best out there but its big dollars, thats why I went with the Komplete Audio 6 and couldnt be happier. They tested it against the RME and it did very well compared.

Rick
    Roland TD-12 Ludwig A2E 5pc kit, VH-11
    Studio Drummer, Abbey Road 60's 70's 80's, AD2, SSD4, SD3
    Komplete Audio 6, JBL Eon 515XT, Mackie FX12, DAW Studio One 3

Comment

Hey Rick. Thanks for responding.

The audio won't be recorded directly as far as I know.....even with the VSTs. It's all midi and will be replaced during the mixing process. If the modules audio is used at all...it will just be for monitoring and the module is heavily Vex'd. So..it should sound fine and track well and as long as the VH-12 will transmit the midi...the HH should be just fine also.

As for interfaces...an Avid Pro Tools HD I/O 8x8x8 and ProTools HD will be used. .

My brothers band recorded their last album with a TD-20X and it seemed to work just fine for them however...I have never done much recording especially with Pro Tools and this setup will be used by my brother in his new studio(for his band and customers) so I'm just making sure this will suit his purposes before I build his kit for him. Even though it has an integrated interface...we decided that the TD-30 was "overkill" for just triggering midi mainly because of cost and he would rather spend the cash on the other studio gear and necessities. So....basically I'm just dotting the "I"s and crossing the "T"s by getting info and from the reliable vets here for my peace of mind and to pass along to him if I need to.
      Last edited by fulrmr(Daniel); 05-23-14, 02:21 AM.
      8 piece DIY Acrylic, 2x2Box DrumIt5, Gen16 4xDCP, DIY Acrylic&Gen16 Conversions, Sleishman Twin-QuadSteele hybrid, Gibraltar&DrumFrame rack, DW9502LB, Midi Knights Pro Lighting

Comment

I have a TD20X (TDW-20) w/ VH12 into a MacBookPro (2009) and Reaper + Superior. I use a USB Roland UA-1G audio interface and EMU Xmidi 1x1 USB interface for midi.
        Works no problem with all VSTs I have. Out of all of them I think SD has the best HH rendering.

-- Greg

Comment

Thanks greg, Yeah I'm pretty sure my brother likes S2.xx also. I know I do.

Comment

Working...
          X