Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help getting drum velocity right with Roland TD-15kv and Superior Drummer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help getting drum velocity right with Roland TD-15kv and Superior Drummer

Hi All. I've got my td-15kv, asio4all, superior drummer and toontrack all working together nicely finally (fyi, if asio4all stops making sound, keep restarting windows audio service until it works, or simply keep it stopped while you want to use asio4all).

I have one issue with toontrack/superior drummer so far. When I play fast 16th notes or open stroke rolls, I'll get loud accents notes that should not be as loud as they are. They stick out a lot and it's very annoying when trying to play. Playing on and listening to the module by itself is fine. I know my left handed strokes aren't perfect but sheesh, what's going on here? I tried messing with the velocity stuff but it didn't seem to make a difference for the random, extra loud accented notes.

Any ideas? To be even more clear, if you start doing 16th notes very quiet to loud, at about medium/loud is where the inconsistencies start.

Edit: Realized at least one of my problems - I have to hit my snare WAY too hard for it to register the hi end of the velocity sounds area. Trying to figure out how to fix that now.
    Last edited by hamburglin; 04-14-14, 07:37 PM.

You'll find vst samples much more sensitive than the genetically modified sounds Roland let you have, because they are real drum samples. I'm not sure what terminology Roland uses but its something like 'dynamic threshold / decay'which evens up any inconsitancies.

Comment

Originally posted by airflamesred View Post
      You'll find vst samples much more sensitive than the genetically modified sounds Roland let you have, because they are real drum samples. I'm not sure what terminology Roland uses but its something like 'dynamic threshold / decay'which evens up any inconsitancies.
      So should I be changing the velocity settings in superior drummers, some other setting altogether, or changing the settings for my kit in the roland drum brain? I'm thinking the drum brain as velocity curves still didn't feel right. I remember reading about the option you are talking about in the manual. I'll take a look.

Comment

Do a quick test to find out if it's really Superior Drummer causing the random accents. Trigger the hi-hat with the mouse over and over in the same velocity spot (so you know you're triggering at the same velocity) Most VSTs can trigger the range of velocities this way. It may just be the anti-machine gunning tech in SD not having enough layers for that particular velocity, so it often ends up picking a sample from the pool that's obviously too different (too loud) from the rest.
        ◾ Diamond Drums 4pc in Di-Noc carbon ◾ 2box DrumIt 5 MKII
        ◾ Roland UA-1010 / cymbals / KT-10 (x2) ◾ Tama / Gibraltar hardware ◾ JBL LSR3 Series 2.1 Monitoring ◾ Pearl THMP-1
        PA Comparison Sheet

Comment

Originally posted by Kabonfaiba View Post
          Do a quick test to find out if it's really Superior Drummer causing the random accents. Trigger the hi-hat with the mouse over and over in the same velocity spot (so you know you're triggering at the same velocity) Most VSTs can trigger the range of velocities this way. It may just be the anti-machine gunning tech in SD not having enough layers for that particular velocity, so it often ends up picking a sample from the pool that's obviously too different (too loud) from the rest.
          This is only happening on the drums. I assume the process stays the same. Question: how do I click the drum at a specific velocity with SD?

Also, when I lowered the top velocity point to the match the 3rd point's height, it didn't happen from what I can remember. Though of course I can't play the loudest sounds form that point on. Again, the sounds are perfect with the built in kits for the 15kv module.

I still have yet to check the super advanced setting to try and solve this accent problem.

Comment

Working...
          X