Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Garageband - Can't run Superior Drummer 2.3.2 or Steven Slate 4 Platinum

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Garageband - Can't run Superior Drummer 2.3.2 or Steven Slate 4 Platinum

    Hi guys, I'm stumped and could use a bit of advice.
    I downloaded the latest version of SD 2.3.2 and Garageband 10.0.1 today. I have the latest version of SSD4 (Platinum) as well. So, I don't see how this could be an update issue.
    From within GB, I can only see the Apple AU's (audio units aka plug-ins). See attachment. You typically access these by going to the Smart Controls, then select the "i" button next to the "Master" button. From there GB should open the Apple as well as other audio units (plug-ins). All it offers me is the Apple list.

    I know the plug-ins both work within other hosts. I can run SSD 2.3.2 from Toontrack's SOLO. I can run both SSD 2.3.2, as well as SSD4 Platinum, from within Ableton Live. I downloaded Ableton Live as a 30-day trial on the advice of the Steven Slate staff just to see that it's OK and not the program or my machine.

    So, it seems to be some incompatibility or setting issue with Garageband. Unfortunately I purged my MacBook of Garageband 9, so I can't go back and see if that works. Lastly, I did check the box in Garageband preferences to allow Audio Units. See attachment

    Help??

    Thanks,
    JP
    Attached Files
    Pearl Mimic Pro, eDRUMin 10, ATV aDrums, DIY Conversion kit, Roland Handsonic HPD-20, EFNOTE 5, SD3, Porter & Davies Throne

  • #2
    From https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5469006
    " If you click on New Track and create Software Instrument. For me, that default is Classic Electric Piano. With that new track selected, select Smart Controls button to bring up that window which shows a slider for Keyboard Sensitivity and also 8 (very skeumorphic...) knobs for tone, drive and so on.

    But what about AUs? Drag the top of that Smart Control window up - and, oh, suddenly the AU options are there. They need to be pulled up into view."


    - - -
    Remo Practice set conversion, DIY cymbals, PD-7's & PD-9's, CY-5, Sonor Hi-Hat stand, Roland TD-6V, Zoom RT-123, CB700 snare, Simmons SDMP1 Tunes: https://soundcloud.com/artly-there

    Comment


    • #3
      Thanks for your help here. From my first pic is there anything additional that I need to do? I tried probing around the space where "Audio Units appears in my screen shot, and when it expands all I get are what it shows there.
      The other thing that's quirky is I need to have both the "i" and the "Master" buttons selected to get to Audio Units. As you can see they're blue in my screenshot. If I select just the "i" the "audio units" option doesn't appear at all.
      Any further suggestions?
      Pearl Mimic Pro, eDRUMin 10, ATV aDrums, DIY Conversion kit, Roland Handsonic HPD-20, EFNOTE 5, SD3, Porter & Davies Throne

      Comment


      • #4
        knowing apple and macs, I'm sure GarageBand is the culprit. That's a major release, so the vendor's should be testing their products against 10.0. You may want to call Superior Drummer or Slate and see what they have to say.

        PITA with this stuff when major revisions are released....

        I definitely would be interested in your finding, since I'm going to be diving into this next once I upgrade to a newer Mac. Can;t upgrade my others to anything but 10.6.8 snow leopard.

        sorry bud,,,
        Sonor S-classix birch
        Paiste and Sabian Cymbals;
        Mapex ProM ->EAD10; Mesh heads; Yamaha Top Triggers, Gen16 and L80 cymbals;

        Comment


        • #5
          Hi,
          I spoke to SSD on the phone. They were excellent! Best service I've ever gotten. They set up a TeamView session, logged onto my computer and did all the trouble shooting they could. They did mention a new SSD download was being worked on for the new GarageBand. Meanwhile they had me download an Ableton Live Trial copy, and it works great.
          On the Toontrack side, the service is by email only. They just keep telling me to download the latest versions of GB, SSD, etc. and try again. Not much help. In the end they said to contact Apple.
          Apple service has been good. I have a follow up call set up for Sat, when I have more time, and they're going to log onto my machine and delve into it more deeply with a GB expert. Can't argue with that.
          It does seem to be a GB thing, since Ableton Live runs SSD, SD and EZdrummer without a hitch.
          Thanks!
          Pearl Mimic Pro, eDRUMin 10, ATV aDrums, DIY Conversion kit, Roland Handsonic HPD-20, EFNOTE 5, SD3, Porter & Davies Throne

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by ronyd View Post
            knowing apple and macs, I'm sure GarageBand is the culprit. That's a major release, so the vendor's should be testing their products against 10.0. You may want to call Superior Drummer or Slate and see what they have to say.

            PITA with this stuff when major revisions are released....

            I definitely would be interested in your finding, since I'm going to be diving into this next once I upgrade to a newer Mac. Can;t upgrade my others to anything but 10.6.8 snow leopard.

            sorry bud,,,
            Geez, awful post about something you never tried and so fast dismissing everybody else but you. And not informative at all. (does it show that the weather is crappy here and I am not in a good mood!?)

            jp, I got 10.9, Superior drummer 2.3 and GB10. It works. So there is something either wrong with your AU or your steps to get it working.

            When you open a new software track, click on the Smart Controls, next to the scissors icon on top. In the window that opens up at the bottom, click on the little "i" at the top left. A panle will slide and you will see Audio Units. Clicl on the arrows on the blue button and go to AU Instruments. Toontrack and SD should show up. The only thing that happened is GB asked to "lower the AU units security". Don't know exactly what that means but clicking ok, and SD came up and played nicely.

            So, GB 10 and VSTs like Superior DO work.

            Good luck!
            DTX700, eDRUMin 4+10, A2E Dixon kit, Yamaha cymbals, FSR HH
            Kit Pix http://vdrums.com/forum/album.php?albumid=613

            My new venture, HiEnd Speakers. : voglosounds.com

            Comment


            • #7
              Hi Perceval,

              Thanks for your tip. If you look at the screenshot image in my original post, you see that (I think) I'm doing what you are. I clicked on the little "i". The problem I'm having is that when I click on the arrows on the blue button and go to AU instruments, all that I see are the GB built in AUs. Toontrack and SSD do not appear. However when I run Ableton Live (a trial download for now) they work perfectly fine. Here's one bit of info that might explain things: I never ran either Toontrack or SSD previously on GB 9. I did the GB 10.0.1 upgrade, and then I installed Toontrack and SSD. I'm beginning to believe that it was necessary to run the AUs in GB 9 first. Then, during the upgrade to GB 10.0. it would have migrated critical bits of info into GB 10.0.1 which it can't otherwise find. I'd gladly try to run GB9, but I made the mistake of trashing it and doing a secure empty trash.

              Do you think this could be the issue?

              Thanks again for your thoughts

              JP
              Pearl Mimic Pro, eDRUMin 10, ATV aDrums, DIY Conversion kit, Roland Handsonic HPD-20, EFNOTE 5, SD3, Porter & Davies Throne

              Comment


              • #8
                Ok, a couple of things come to mind

                First, GB 10 only works with 64-bit plugins now. So, if your plugins are 32-bit, they won't work. Make sure you have 64-bit versions.
                (there's a workaround using "32lives")

                Also, get GB to rescan your plugins... maybe that will spring them up!
                Here's how:

                Close GB.
                Go to Finder
                Hold the alt key and click on the "Go" menu.
                You'll see "Library" that has no shortcut. click on that.
                Go to "Caches", locate ~/Library/Caches/com.apple.audiounits
                Delete that.

                Now restart GB, it will rescan all your AU. See if that brings up SD or SSD. Accept the "Lower Plugin Security" and hopefully it will work.

                DTX700, eDRUMin 4+10, A2E Dixon kit, Yamaha cymbals, FSR HH
                Kit Pix http://vdrums.com/forum/album.php?albumid=613

                My new venture, HiEnd Speakers. : voglosounds.com

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by perceval View Post

                  Geez, awful post about something you never tried and so fast dismissing everybody else but you. And not informative at all. (does it show that the weather is crappy here and I am not in a good mood!?)

                  jp, I got 10.9, Superior drummer 2.3 and GB10. It works. So there is something either wrong with your AU or your steps to get it working.

                  When you open a new software track, click on the Smart Controls, next to the scissors icon on top. In the window that opens up at the bottom, click on the little "i" at the top left. A panle will slide and you will see Audio Units. Clicl on the arrows on the blue button and go to AU Instruments. Toontrack and SD should show up. The only thing that happened is GB asked to "lower the AU units security". Don't know exactly what that means but clicking ok, and SD came up and played nicely.

                  So, GB 10 and VSTs like Superior DO work.

                  Good luck!
                  just an observation perceval. After reviewing what he had to say and the steps taken, My suggestion was to call Superior Drummer. I've seen many times thrid party software is broken on major releases.

                  anyway, glad it does work and I can get on with going that route. thankx
                  Sonor S-classix birch
                  Paiste and Sabian Cymbals;
                  Mapex ProM ->EAD10; Mesh heads; Yamaha Top Triggers, Gen16 and L80 cymbals;

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by perceval View Post
                    Ok, a couple of things come to mind

                    First, GB 10 only works with 64-bit plugins now. So, if your plugins are 32-bit, they won't work. Make sure you have 64-bit versions.
                    (there's a workaround using "32lives")

                    Also, get GB to rescan your plugins... maybe that will spring them up!
                    Here's how:

                    Close GB.
                    Go to Finder
                    Hold the alt key and click on the "Go" menu.
                    You'll see "Library" that has no shortcut. click on that.
                    Go to "Caches", locate ~/Library/Caches/com.apple.audiounits
                    Delete that.

                    Now restart GB, it will rescan all your AU. See if that brings up SD or SSD. Accept the "Lower Plugin Security" and hopefully it will work.
                    Thanks again Perceval...

                    I tried that, and unfortunately it didn't work either. I have a call with Apple Support tomorrow. Hopefully that will resolve it.

                    JP
                    Pearl Mimic Pro, eDRUMin 10, ATV aDrums, DIY Conversion kit, Roland Handsonic HPD-20, EFNOTE 5, SD3, Porter & Davies Throne

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by jpsquared482 View Post

                      Thanks again Perceval...

                      I tried that, and unfortunately it didn't work either. I have a call with Apple Support tomorrow. Hopefully that will resolve it.

                      JP
                      OK, Problem MOSTLY solved. I noticed there was an update to GB 10. It's 10.0.2. I installed that, removed the cached audiounits, started GB 10.0.2 and magically, the proper window showing the Audio Units appeared!!. I can also select all my VST's, finally. However, here's the catch. SSD4 Platinum opens but the sounds do not load.
                      The first image shows where the AU's can be selected.
                      The second shows my AU's that are accessible
                      The third shows my "empty" SSD4 Platinum being run from GB 10.0.2
                      The fourth shows what it should look like when it's run in Ableton Live.

                      So, it was definitely an Apple issue, which their software engineers have solved, but their tech service team wasn't aware of how to solve initially.

                      Now, I think theres an issue with SSD4. I recall that the SSD tech service guys (who were excellent) mentioned that they were working on an update for MacBook Air 13", which mine is.

                      At least for the rest of you GB users, my advice is download 10.0.2 and your problems should go away.

                      Good luck!!!
                      Attached Files
                      Pearl Mimic Pro, eDRUMin 10, ATV aDrums, DIY Conversion kit, Roland Handsonic HPD-20, EFNOTE 5, SD3, Porter & Davies Throne

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by jpsquared482 View Post

                        OK, Problem MOSTLY solved. I noticed there was an update to GB 10. It's 10.0.2. I installed that, removed the cached audiounits, started GB 10.0.2 and magically, the proper window showing the Audio Units appeared!!. I can also select all my VST's, finally. However, here's the catch. SSD4 Platinum opens but the sounds do not load.
                        The first image shows where the AU's can be selected.
                        The second shows my AU's that are accessible
                        The third shows my "empty" SSD4 Platinum being run from GB 10.0.2
                        The fourth shows what it should look like when it's run in Ableton Live.

                        So, it was definitely an Apple issue, which their software engineers have solved, but their tech service team wasn't aware of how to solve initially.

                        Now, I think theres an issue with SSD4. I recall that the SSD tech service guys (who were excellent) mentioned that they were working on an update for MacBook Air 13", which mine is.

                        At least for the rest of you GB users, my advice is download 10.0.2 and your problems should go away.

                        Good luck!!!
                        Last of problems solved!!!
                        Lastly, although I had SSD4 running in GB 10.0.2 (finally) - in order to access the SSD4 library, I had to (of course) also place the license file in the Settings location where it belongs in SSD4. Without it you can open the VST but the library is empty. Just so the rest of you are aware, this was not obvious as when I opened SSD4 inside GB 10.0.2, I wasn't prompted as you would be according to this video:
                        http://www.youtube.com/embed/EMCA98uic-Y

                        Hope this all helps!

                        It's all working now. Woooohoooo!!!!
                        Pearl Mimic Pro, eDRUMin 10, ATV aDrums, DIY Conversion kit, Roland Handsonic HPD-20, EFNOTE 5, SD3, Porter & Davies Throne

                        Comment

                        Working...
                        X