Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BFD 3.0 or Superior 2.0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BFD 3.0 or Superior 2.0

Hi Guys, I'm about to move into the world of VST's using my TD-30 kit. Wondered if anyone has used BFD3.0 or Superior 2.0. I know there is a lot of positive feedback on Superior 2.0, but as BFD3.0 has just been released - would this have more up to date useable technology/sounds that might suit my set up better?

Appreciate any feedback!

Well, we would need to know what kind of music you like to play, for the sounds you are looking for.

BFD3 or SD2 are at the forefront of VSTs. Any of them would work well, but they have different approaches on kit setup and layout of the software. Have a look at both , check out the videos to try and feel which one you would feel more comfy with.

Also, in the world of free, as in free beer, there is the very good DrumMic'a! sample from Seinnheiser. Might be a good intro to VSTs. Works differently than both BFD3 and SD2, both it does have a choice of mics and placement that is cool.
    DTX700, eDRUMin 4+10, A2E Dixon kit, Yamaha cymbals, FSR HH
    Kit Pix http://vdrums.com/forum/album.php?albumid=613

My new venture, HiEnd Speakers. : voglosounds.com

Comment

What Perceval said!

You may have to give a try to either, to finally determine which one will sound better, and will feel better to you, to play and navigate through.

If this is your first foray into the world of VSTs though, save yourself some dought, and start with the free software-offering by Sennheiser: 'DrumMic'a' !

HTH
      Last edited by hairmetal-81; 12-06-13, 12:15 PM.

"My best friends' name is J-SON. They used to call him 'Mr. Parse.' He has an 'Error'..!"

http://www.vdrums.com/forum/core/cus...ar33631_4.jpeg

Comment

I've been through most VST's and always come back to Steven Slate Drums with the Terry Date expansion pack. Just sits in the mix of play along or pre-recorded tracks perfectly.

Comment

BFD3 is great. I have most of the VST instruments and the BFD3 engine and new GUI really stand out to me. It is so simple to create kits, there is more tweak ability than you can image. High quality effects built in if you choose to use them. Features galore such as 7 new detailed kits, cymbal swelling, tom resonance, awesome new mapping system. On top of that BFD has a much broader range of expansion packs available including the awesome platinum samples offerings. Also the new GUI makes pretty much everything available without needing to open multiple windows.

I think SD 2 has good sound, and nice vdrum control, but I can't get into their x drum paradigm for mixing and matching kits, the need to reset the vdrum mapping every time you load a new pack. After using BFD3, the SD2 interface really starts to show its age. Toontrack does do a good job with releasing updates to keep SD2 current with new OS releases etc.

SSD drums offer good Vdrum response and is the least mature of these three. To me, the sound is good if you happen to be looking for the particular sound of the expansions or a somewhat more processed sound. The expansions , terry date and Chris lord alge have a signature sound to them. The editing is rudimentary compared to the other 2. SSD also offers no stand alone version and no effects as the philosophy is to use the effects in your DAW. Also SSD rarely gets updated. That's not to say it doesn't work, but slate typically seems to put their effort to whatever is the new effect they are working on while older plugins don't get updated in eons (fg-x, vcc, vtm) This isn't a slam on them, for the most part the bugs that exist aren't show stoppers, but it is worth considering.

You have to decide what suits you. I often like to play standalone to practice and prefer not to have to load my DAW to do that. In the end , they all sound very good, hard to make a bad choice, but for the time being BFD3 wins for me.
          Last edited by gmontano; 12-06-13, 11:03 PM.

Comment

If you don't need a of tweaking and studio FX, you should also consider Addictive Drums, which is a great, no-fuss, small-footprint VST that runs on any of the free DAW hosts. A lot of drummers have dipped a toe in the VST waters via AD - and some still use it exclusively.
            That said, BFD3 is very, very impressive and we'll be including a review in the February digitalDrummer.
            . digitalDrummer
            Review index

Comment

For starters, I'd get into EZDrummer, which offers a great price-quality ratio and is really easy to use! My favourite is the Americana EZX. Look out for sales that pop up every now and then!
              TD-11 with 1xPDX 100 and 2x 12" drum-tec Diabolo pads, VH-11, CY 15R, CY-8 + various VSTi's.

Comment

I have almost everything except for SSD4. Addictive Drums responds to triggers better than anything I've tried. Unfortunately their sounds are compressed and dynamic range gets even worse when effects, etc are applied. Still, Addictive Drums are most fun to play on just because their velocities respond so well. I don't know why the other companies can't get it right.

Comment

To get your feet wet, here's another new option.

BFD3 has a demo out. A full kit that you can play for 30 minutes. You can't save changes you made.
                  Better than Addictive which only has kick, snare and HH in their demo.

And still better than Superior's demo... oh wait... they don't have one!
                  DTX700, eDRUMin 4+10, A2E Dixon kit, Yamaha cymbals, FSR HH
                  Kit Pix http://vdrums.com/forum/album.php?albumid=613

My new venture, HiEnd Speakers. : voglosounds.com

Comment

Working...
                  X