ASIO Device problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ASIO Device problem

Hope you guys can help me, because I'm hitting a brickwall at the moment.

Been doing okay up until now with the TD-20 and home studio set-up I've got.

Had a great time plugging my TD-20 into Audiophile 2496 soundcard then into my PC and VST'ing into Superior Drummer 2.0 and Ezplayer Pro - recorded some cool stuff (only in audio - with audacity).

Then for the next stage, the band guys and myself decided on getting Cubase to record ourselves plus we needed an IO device for plugging the guitars into the pc so we all chipped into get Presonus Firebox (which looks the part btw) and comes with Cubase LE 4 - but i haven't installed it yet because I'm waiting for a firewire PCI I've ordered which I should get on Friday.

Now the fun begins.....

I'm routing my audio outs to my stereo system from Audiophile (RCA - red and white plugs). I have my midi IN going into the audiophile aswell. All has worked great with SD2.0 andd Ezplayer.

When I load up Cubase I select the VST I want to use (ezplayer) and the ASIO program i want to use (M-Audio - Audiophile) when I load up SD2.0 and ezplayer and select M-Audio ASIO it won't let me use it, because I assume it's being used by Cubase. CONFUSING!!! and why does that happen?

I assume therefore you can't use the same ASIO driver with two different programs and....to cap it all off.......

I can't get a sound out of cubase

I've even dragged a sample loop from Ezplayer (using ASIO4ALL) and played it in Cubase and no sound at all.

I'm so depressed

Please can anyone help me (the cubase manual is crap btw )
    Check us out! www.myspace.com/therenocorradopimps

I don't have Cubase in front of me but I think you need to do some basics in getting Cubase setup to "see" the card.

I've always found the Cubase help files to be, well, helpful.

Here's something that might help:

http://www.roadkill.com/~grog/Getting_Started.pdf

Okay, it's for SX3 but they're both very similar so this might get you going.

www.myspace.com/rubberuniverse
    TD-12, DTX502, SD1000, EZDrummer, Diamond Drum 12" snare, S1000 toms/cymbals/kick, PCY10/100/135/155, CY-5/14, Hart Ride, Hart Acupad 8" kick, Epedal Pro II, Concept 1 pads/cymbals, SD1000 & Roland V Sessions racks, PD-7, Kit Toy 10" splash, DMPad ride, SamplePad, PerformancePad Pro

Comment

Originally posted by andygee70 View Post
      When I load up Cubase I select the VST I want to use (ezplayer) and the ASIO program i want to use (M-Audio - Audiophile) when I load up SD2.0 and ezplayer and select M-Audio ASIO it won't let me use it, because I assume it's being used by Cubase. CONFUSING!!! and why does that happen?
      Forgive me if I'm off base, I'm just trying to help with what limited knowledge I possess...

Why is EZplayer a part of this equation? Leave EZplayer out of it for the time being. It appears to me that you can use S2.0 with Cubase, or with EZplayer, but not both at the same time. Perhaps this is where your conflict lies...
      Jack

Sabre's Album

Comment

Originally posted by Sabre View Post
        Forgive me if I'm off base, I'm just trying to help with what limited knowledge I possess...

Why is EZplayer a part of this equation? Leave EZplayer out of it for the time being. It appears to me that you can use S2.0 with Cubase, or with EZplayer, but not both at the same time. Perhaps this is where your conflict lies...
        Hi Sabre,

Ahhh, well I always assumed that SD2.0 and Ezplayer worked hand in glove, but that's my stupidity! Of course one is a drum sampler and the other with the sounds! Doh! I get you on the conflict part. But can you tell me why the ASIO device can't be used with the VST plug-in (SD2.0) and Cubase at the same time?

Comment

Originally posted by grog View Post
          I don't have Cubase in front of me but I think you need to do some basics in getting Cubase setup to "see" the card.

I've always found the Cubase help files to be, well, helpful.

Here's something that might help:

http://www.roadkill.com/~grog/Getting_Started.pdf

Okay, it's for SX3 but they're both very similar so this might get you going.

www.myspace.com/rubberuniverse
          Hi Grog,

Thanks for the advice.

Cubase certainly sees the card (i can see it in the device set-up tab) and I can select M-Audio Audiophile as my source ASIO. But still can't get why one or the other program (Cubase & SD2.0) won't allow both to use the ASIO driver - or is it not needed in cubase if the ASIO trigger's come from SD2.0?

Comment

Ok let's start simple. I'm using Cubase LE with Addictive Drums but it's the same thing. When you open Cubase, start a new project and once the project is open click on Devices and Device Setup. Then, under VST Multitrack, you select your M-Audio ASIO driver. This is the only place you need to configure ASIO.

You then load the VST and add a new MIDI track. On the left pane of the track, select your Audiophile MIDI In and on Out, select Superior. You can then open the SD2.0 by clicking on the e at the right of the lock. That's it. You can now trigger SD2.0 with MIDI. Don't forget that you need to connect your speakers to the AudioPhile sound card to get any sound.

Hope I'm being clear.

Comment

ANdy,

Kick my gutts if I got you wrong ok? :

a) you are loadig an instance of Cubase;
              b) you are opening separately Ezplayer? or is it Toontrack Solo?

IF yes ... the system will not allow you ot open both using the same driver. I noticed this with Toontrack Solo... BFD2 standalone ....

As indicated previously by Francis you need to open the VST Superior in Cubase and drop the Ez player/Toontrack solo thing.

Pim
              Roland TD50, Roland PM30 and KC 550 Studio Capture /Dell XPS I7 32GB RAM Reaper,Superior Drummer,BFD3 (all exp. packs),SSD5 Ezdrummer 2, XLN Addictive Drums

Comment

You should be able to run Cubase and a standalone VST in the background. But to do this you will need to release your ASIO driver in the background. To do this go into "Device Setup" (under "Devices"). Then go into "VST Audiobay" and then click the box next to "Release asio driver in background". You should be done. I would also then restart Cubase and your VST that you want to run. Interested to know how you go here dude, best of luck
                "Today young men on acid realised that all matter is purely energy condensed to a slow vibration; That we are all of one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively; There's no such thing as death, life is only a dream and we're the imagination of ourselves.. Here's Tom with the weather"...

TD-20 + TMC-6 + VF-1 + Gen16's = Not enough inputs.
                Watch me - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLqt6zaAYkY

Comment

Originally posted by andygee70 View Post
                  But can you tell me why the ASIO device can't be used with the VST plug-in (SD2.0) and Cubase at the same time?
                  It looks like you've got lots of good advice to try, and I'd wager you are very close to having this thing sorted...

In answer to your question... I see the VSTi plug-ins as extensions of the host, rather than a seperate entity. So as Francis suggests, you launch Cubase, then from within Cubase you load the plug-in. Realistically, if Cubase recognizes the hardware/driver, then S2.0 as an extension of Cubase should just work. At least thats been my experience.

I guess the part that confuses me is when you say "won't allow both to use the ASIO driver" - are you getting an actual error message to that effect, or is that just a conclusion you've reached because it doesn't work?

For what it's worth, I tried a copy of Cubase LE and just couldn't figure out how to make it work for me. It just didn't seem very Sabre friendly whereas Ableton Live just seemed more intuitive, and everything fell into place for me very quickly.
                  Jack

Sabre's Album

Comment

Hi guys!

I finally got it to friggin work! 3am this morning - don't ask me what I did, but I saved the project INSTANTLY!

Right, with the ASIO issue - I have the M-Audio ASIO in Cubase and ASIO4ALL working in Superior Drummer - it seems to work but I don't have a clue what I'm doing! Anyway, thanks for all the superb advice fellas - I really appreciated it.

Back to the ASIO issue - and thanks for your help Francis. I've followed your instructions to the letter and this is what I got.

Open New Project - Check
                    (New project CLE4 - 16 Midi Track)
                    Devices - Check
                    Device Set up - Check

VST Multi Track - I don't have that in my list - I have the following..

MIDI > VST Midi port set up > with M-Audio Midi in the selection

and on another drop down:

VST Audio System > M-Audio Delta ASIO > VST System Link

Hmmm, why no VST Multitrack, any ideas?

Comment

Originally posted by Sabre View Post
                      It looks like you've got lots of good advice to try, and I'd wager you are very close to having this thing sorted...

In answer to your question... I see the VSTi plug-ins as extensions of the host, rather than a seperate entity. So as Francis suggests, you launch Cubase, then from within Cubase you load the plug-in. Realistically, if Cubase recognizes the hardware/driver, then S2.0 as an extension of Cubase should just work. At least thats been my experience.

I guess the part that confuses me is when you say "won't allow both to use the ASIO driver" - are you getting an actual error message to that effect, or is that just a conclusion you've reached because it doesn't work?

For what it's worth, I tried a copy of Cubase LE and just couldn't figure out how to make it work for me. It just didn't seem very Sabre friendly whereas Ableton Live just seemed more intuitive, and everything fell into place for me very quickly.

Well Sabre in answer to your question, the two applications won't allow you to use them both for each applications. It's either M-Audio for SD2.0 or Cubase. But as has been explained by Francis, you don't need to load the ASIO in SD2.0 if you configure Cubase properly (which I'm yet to do!).

Atleast I got the thing to load and I've recorded some stuff, which is a step forward from yesterday.

Comment

Ok you don't see VST Multitrack because I'm using Cubase 3. It has been replaced with VST Audiobay or VST Audio System. You can then select your Master ASIO driver. Once it's done, you need to load the VST. For Cubase 3, I click on Devices and VST Instrument. You then need to select Superior.

Comment

Originally posted by Francis_Beland View Post
                          Ok you don't see VST Multitrack because I'm using Cubase 3. It has been replaced with VST Audiobay or VST Audio System. You can then select your Master ASIO driver. Once it's done, you need to load the VST. For Cubase 3, I click on Devices and VST Instrument. You then need to select Superior.
                          I've taken the plunge Francis and downloaded the manual and printed it off. Will read it to understand the concept, but cheers for the advice anyhow.

Just got another effing problem to deal with, the Firewire card I have doesn't 'see' the firebox. I can find the firewire card in device manager and Windows says that it can see it properly - and that it works properly. But when I load Presonus Firebox software and it comes to the part where I connect the Firewire cable from the Firebox into the Firewire card in the PC, nothing is recognised. Not the unit or anything.

any suggestions guys?

Comment

I'm using an EMU 0202 USB so I cannot help you with the Firebox issue.

Comment

Working...
                            X