Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

please help, confused, midi, module, trigger I/O, inverter? . . . help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• please help, confused, midi, module, trigger I/O, inverter? . . . help!

Alright, I am new to this, and don't want to buy the wrong stuff anymore. . .
    I just got a Roland TD-3 module because I want to trigger my bass drum live (as well as my other drums if I can get the hang of this and find some good sounds) . . . but, I am more interested right now in figuring out how to do the bass drop effect live. . .

I do not believe the TD 3 is capable of editing sounds enough to get a good sounding bass drop, and know it has no storage for loading samples, so upon further research, I stumbled upon what I believe is probably the answer, but I am not very familiar with terminology and technicalities, so I dont know. . . but, I found an alesis trigger I/O for 150 bones. . this has USB connectivity, and after reading it seems as though, with the software that comes with the unit, I could set up a electric drum pad, or some drum with a trigger, and have that trigger the sample of the bass drop from my laptop. . . I do have a very nice laptop, so if lag is that much of a problem, I don't imagine anyone really being able to use this method live, but. . . is the trigger I/O what i need for this? in conjunction with the TD-3? any better options?

on ebay by typing in midi interface, it also returns a lot of results, that are much cheaper, that are just chords pretty much with midi in and out ends, and a usb end. . . would I be able to accomplish this with one of those? and the right software?

I am pretty confused and having real trouble finding clear answers! please help

Welcome!

I'm confused by two things:

You want to do this live, but you don't think anyone could use a laptop live?

And; "inverter"?

Bruce

Comment

Lemme see if I can clarify. You can use your laptop with a good audio interface. You are right, using the sound card built into your laptop will probably be way to laggy to use. So if you don't want to invest a couple of hundred (at least) in a good interface, don't bother with laptops.

Look into the TD-3 and the Alesis DM5 for bass. I am not familiar with the bass drop sound, but both modules can be had cheap and have decent sounds. The advantage is that there is no lag and no need for a Trigger to MIDI Interface (TMI).

If you want to buy a audio interface and software for your computer, you probably want something like the Alesis Trigger IO. It converts triggers to MIDI, that's it. Just plug the USB in and you can control any MIDI software you have.
      sigpic

Comment

to clarify

sorry, I meant interface not inverter, i was just typing fast and not thinking, and probably just was quite a bit confused about this whole thing. . .

I have already got a TD-3, I suppose playing around with it a while to see if I can find a bass drop sound would be a good idea, but I don't believe by looking at the manual that it will have what I am looking for. (haven't really got the chance to play around with it yet, because I am waiting for chords to come in the mail)

I was saying about the laptop, that if my computer has too much lag to use live, then I don't believe anyone could really do it, because I, being an IT help desk man, have a very nice laptop, that is pretty fast.

Mainly, what I am wondering is if the Alesis triggger I/O setup is the right thing for me. I am looking to trigger my whole set and use the td3 as the module, but if that doesn 't have the right sound, I would need to set up a trigger pad to trigger the bass drop sound from an external source, because you cannot load data to a td3. . . will the I/O do that? any better suggestions?

or. . . would one of those simple "midi interfaces" they have on ebay that are really just chord adapters be able to do it?in conjunction with the td3? or would that slow it down? or are those for a whole different application? (they say they are for plugging keyboards in to your computer and recording, so I don't think this will exactly do what I am looking for)

Also, I was thinking about buying the drumdial setup with the mount to head triggers, except they have cases to protect them. . . would these be a big downgrade from buying ddrum triggers instead, or would most people compare the quality, and well, the trigger response just as good?

sorry for so many questions, and thanks so much to those of you who reply, I never imagined having this much trouble gathering the right information

Comment

wait. . .

is that saying that with the right interface, like the trigger I/O I wouldn't even need the module, or is that still necessary also?

i think im getting myself more messed up

Comment

When it comes to triggering samples on a laptop via MIDI, the TD-3 and Trigger iO are virtually equivalent. You don't need both, and neither will do much that the other can't.

Bruce

Comment

-The bass drop sound you are looking for...

Not sure if the td3 has it but either the TR808 or TR909 have a great ultra low end bass sound.

E
              - your source for electronic cigs. Use coupon code "" for 10% off every order!!!

Comment

o. . . i was beginning to get the idea there that the td3 didn't make any sense to use with the trigger I/O . . . would the trigger I/0 be capable of if I did want to trigger my whole set? and does the software that comes with it work well?

Comment

If you're just occasionally looking to "drop" the bass (as in, TR-808, BOOOOOOM-style... Beastie Boys' Brass Monkey comes to mind)... why not see if you can just use a Roland SPD-S and hit it with a stick when you need to... load an 808 drop into one of the pads (or all, for 9 different 808 pitches)... and trigger them with your drumstick?

I've done this before live, for extra punch during transitions, in my old band. If that's what you mean by a bass drop, consider this option... you wouldn't need the TD3 or anything else... just the SPD-S.
                  Toontrack Superior Drummer 3.0 / Reaper 5+6
                  DIY hybrid kit (Sonor kit / Roland / Yamaha, DDT MS-140c snare, etc)
                  Roland TD-9 / eDRUMin
                  youtube.com/chriscauldermusic

Comment

that is not really the route I want to go. . .kind of expensive, and I already have the td-3 because more importantly than the bass drops, I want to trigger my drums, and was trying to figure out how to do it with the setup i have and some kind of trigger pad I could hit with my stick, just trying to figure out how to get the sample to play when i hit the pad, and what the easiest way to accomplish this is without spending a ton more money. . . the one guy was saying that all I would need is the trigger I/O . . which would be awesome if that can also keep up with the triggers from my drums. . mainly bass, which i already have a trigger on, and snare are the things I want to be heard more clear and consistently

Comment

but that bOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooMMMMmmmmmmmm kinda thing is what I am looking for i think you are on the right track there. . . the 808 and 909 are other modules or what?

Comment

Originally posted by tylah_4 View Post
                        I want to trigger my drums, and was trying to figure out how to do it with the setup i have and some kind of trigger pad I could hit with my stick
                        The TD-3 module is a trigger device that is equipped with 256 stock sounds.
                        The Trigger-IO is a trigger device that doesn't have any sounds. It requires an external sampler.

So, as BarT suggests, either one is capable of doing exactly what you seem to want to do.

I'm gonna assume that you don't have any actual trigger 'pads', or a complete TD-3 kit, and just have the TD-3 module. Once you get your cables, you could plug any basic trigger pad (PD-8 etc) into the TD-3 module and get an idea of how that works. Since the TD-3 has it's own triggerable sounds, you'll hear results right away and that should demonstrate how relatively easy it would be to plug the rest of your (triggered) drums into the module.

It should be noted that the TD-3 module can be used in the same fashion as the Trigger-IO mentioned in the next paragraph. Bypassing the internal sounds and triggering external samples is precisely how I use my TD-3 module to trigger my homemade drum triggers.

As for the Trigger-IO, you'd need to trigger external sound samples. For that you need DAW software (also referred to as a VST host) on your laptop, and a midi-interface cable to connect the laptop to the module. Once you have that working for you, you have the means to load any one of many VSTi plugins which gives you access to literally thousands of sound samples. One of which I'm certain will be a 'bass drop' sound, whatever that is...
                        Jack

Sabre's Album

Comment

Originally posted by Sabre View Post
                          As for the Trigger-IO, you'd need to trigger external sound samples. For that you need DAW software (also referred to as a VST host) on your laptop, and a midi-interface cable to connect the laptop to the module. Once you have that working for you, you have the means to load any one of many VSTi plugins which gives you access to literally thousands of sound samples. One of which I'm certain will be a 'bass drop' sound, whatever that is...
                          Sorry to add to the muck but you DO NOT need a midi-interface cable with a Trigger I/O. You do for a TD-3, but not the Trigger I/O as it has a USB port built in. By using a USB cable with the Trigger I/O not only do you not need a midi interface cable but the Trigger I/O can be powered by the same USB cable.

Back to topic:
                          tylah_4 you already have a TD-3 you do not need a Trigger I/O. This is to all you TD-3 owners: Can you change the pitch of a sound in the TD-3? If so, you should have no problem using the TD-3 for what you want to do. If you can't change the pitch of a sound I would strongly consider getting an Alesis DM5 (used). I know some drummers use the DM5 for drop bass all the time. Keep in mind no mid to low level module lets you upload your own sounds.
                          alesisDRUMMER.com

Comment

thanks guys

thanks guys for the responses, i definitely was confused. . .

so, clearly, the td3 will work for triggering my drums, but most likely not the bass drop sound. . but one person was talking about how he used his td3 to trigger external sounds. . . what if, or would it be possible, to just use one of those midi interace cables and some software to trigger the bass drop sound in the same fashion (because I could use the td3 for the rest of my drums) . . that would be the best situation for ease and my walletl, because it seems if that is not possible my best option would be to resell and get the dm5. . which I actually think might be my best option already. . .

but, that leads me to wonder if anyone on here has spefically tackled that bass drop sound with the dm5, because I have heard a lot of version of the bass drop that are not very nice. . I wouldn't want to reinvest and get it and hear a big low boom that doesn't have the right effect at all, i might be getting too picky, but especially since I already have all the bases besides that effect covered, i am not going to waste too too much on that if I don't have to. . .

Comment

Originally posted by Sabre View Post

It should be noted that the TD-3 module can be used in the same fashion as the Trigger-IO mentioned in the next paragraph. Bypassing the internal sounds and triggering external samples is precisely how I use my TD-3 module to trigger my homemade drum triggers....

So that is exactly what I am very interested in. How exactly do YOU go about doing that. . . and, could I do that and use it at the same time like I said, trigger my drums all via the td3 to prevent lag, and could I just use a midi interface to usb cable to trigger the bass drop sound form my laptop with that software. . . that would be perfect, because I am worried about the capabilities of the dm5 as far as editing the sounds go, and know the right software on my computer could make exactly what I need. . .

Comment

Working...
                              X