I finally got Superior Drummer 2.0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I finally got Superior Drummer 2.0

I was using Session Drummer 2 included with Sonar Producer and was happy with the amount of sounds you got for each drum but most of my pads would not trigger with it and so after hearing so many good things about Toontrack's Superior Drummer 2.0, I finally got it for myself.

This is my first Toontrack program and I am a little disappointed with the amount of different drums you can choose when editing a kit...but the sounds and functionality are outstanding.
    Now my hi-hat actually reads the variable control compared to being either open or closed...

I see they are planning on putting out an expansion in the 1Q of this year so that will be interesting to hear.

It took some time to figure out how to setup with sonar but once I got it running and mixed properly I was very happy with the setup.

I will be doing a Gear Review episode on this eventually but need to use it a few more times and get used to the program.

BTW I am running a TD6V module if anyone is interested.
    Dave
    Sonic Orb Studios
    My Youtube

My kit is custom running 10, 12, 14" toms, a 12" snare, 2 crash, 1 ride, 1 splash, and dual kick drum all plugged into a
    Roland TD-6V module which runs MIDI to Superior Drummer 2

Weldman-

Thanks for the info. This is most important for me because my brand new macbook 2.4G shows up tomorrow. I also have a TD-6V.

I have read some of the recent posts regarding MIDI interfaces. I guess I am limited to USB 2.0, as the new macbooks are firewire deficient. From my research, however, it seems that USB will be just fine because I'm not interested in recording multi-track. It appears that USB is more than sufficient to record MIDI with minimal latency. Is this true? I'm still trying to make up my mind as to what drum software to get. Is it true that Superior 2.0 is more "tailor-made" for V-drums? As I am here on a v-drum forum, I could care less about triggering samples from a piano(MIDI keyboard controller). I'm not interested in playing a "virtual drumset" with my index fingers.

Many interfaces are bundled with various software. I don't care about how many beat loops are included, or what software synths come in the box. What's the story with the Lexicon Lambda? It comes with a Lex reverb VST: That seems very usable for my application. It's also priced quite reasonably... I haven't seen it discussed. Thoughts?
    *TDW-20* KD-8 w/Iron Cobra single, PD-125, PD-80R, VH-11, PD-8(X3), CY-12R/C, CY-8(X2), older MDS-6 rack with additional lower crossbar for support, Roc 'n' Soc Nitro, ATH-M50 and MDR-7506

Life is a tragedy to those who feel and a comedy to those who think...

Comment

Yes MIDI is a small amount of data and so USB will be fine for the interface connection. The problem comes with playback latency. You will want to stick with USB 2.0 to counter latency.

I have not used the other Toontrack sampler programs but I find this really easy to setup with my custom kit. There is an "E-Drums" Controller selection in the software but the "Default" selection also works quit well for me.

The Lexicon Lambda is a nice unit but once again, it's a USB 1.1 connection...

I suggest the EMU 0202 and a USB/MIDI cable, (I prefer the EMU XMIDI) or the EMU 0404. Both interfaces are 2.0 USB.

With the ambient mics in SD2.0, I do not see any need for reverb effects in Sonar.
      Dave
      Sonic Orb Studios
      My Youtube

My kit is custom running 10, 12, 14" toms, a 12" snare, 2 crash, 1 ride, 1 splash, and dual kick drum all plugged into a

Comment

BFD is easy to set up with a Roland kit as well. I found that it has more detailed hi hats than Superior if you use Platinum Samples sounds,but Superior is good too.

Comment

did you guys know U.S.B 3.0 came out not too long ago
          binary solo! 000001 0000011 0000111 0001111 (oh)
          000001 (oh oh) 0000011 (oh) 00000111 (one) 00001111
          come on sucker lick my battery.
          Boogie,boogie, Robo boogie!
          boogie, Robo boogie

Comment

Weldman-

You bring up a good point. Anyone looking to buy an interface needs to verify that it is, indeed USB "2.0".

I just read on proaudiosolutions.com that the Lambda is USB 2.0... Not to be contradictory. However, it also mentions that the unit is discontinued. (?) That fact is enough to discourage a purchase.

OK. So here's another pertinent question: Do I really need an audio interface AND and MIDI->USB cable? Is there any reason why I can't get the best of both worlds by purchasing a "box" that has both XLR / 1/4" and MIDI connections? That way I can monitor the audio directly (i.e. less latency) thru the headphone out on the interface.

Am I correct in this assumption?
            *TDW-20* KD-8 w/Iron Cobra single, PD-125, PD-80R, VH-11, PD-8(X3), CY-12R/C, CY-8(X2), older MDS-6 rack with additional lower crossbar for support, Roc 'n' Soc Nitro, ATH-M50 and MDR-7506

Comment

Is it possible to upgrade a USB 2 to USB 3 connection? Is it the same physical jack?

Am I now totally hosed because my brand new macbook has USB 2.0?

Comment

when it comes to usb two things matter the physical port and the cable that is why when you go buy a cable make sure it reads usb 2.0 ...
                and as far as upgrading a mac..??? idn those commercials come to mind

PC: "hi i'm a pc"
                mac:"and I'm a mac"
                pc:what are you doing there
                mac: o nothing just selling my car to buy a new mac book ..you?
                nothing just got back from recycling my extra usb 1.0 ports ..
                mac:why?
                pc: because i replaced them with my old usb 2.0 ..
                mac: so what are you going to do about those unused holes?
                pc: you know. install the new usb 3.0 i just ordered from newegg ...
                mac: really ?...man i got to wait a whole year for those ....
                pc: hey at least your really skinny.. and good looking
                mac: yea .. i don't eat
                pc:.......... walks away

sorry i couldn't help going there..but you shouldn't worry usb 2.0 seams to be decent.
                but normally it's direct midi in - db25? fire wire or nothing.. usb 2.0 is for laptops and lower end stuff.
                but i know lots of people that use them and they are decent...

especially when just doing midi or one audio track at a time

bill gates says:
                join the dark side you will
                Last edited by alexzeegreat; 01-19-09, 06:43 AM.
                binary solo! 000001 0000011 0000111 0001111 (oh)
                000001 (oh oh) 0000011 (oh) 00000111 (one) 00001111
                come on sucker lick my battery.
                Boogie,boogie, Robo boogie!
                boogie, Robo boogie

Comment

Originally posted by alexzeegreat View Post
                  did you guys know U.S.B 3.0 came out not too long ago
                  ...I was not aware of this...
                  but unless my computer offers it I have no use for it...and being my PC is just under 2 years old I am sure it is only USB 2.0/firewire.
                  Dave
                  Sonic Orb Studios
                  My Youtube

Comment

Originally posted by Soundofmind View Post
                    Weldman-

You bring up a good point. Anyone looking to buy an interface needs to verify that it is, indeed USB "2.0".

I just read on proaudiosolutions.com that the Lambda is USB 2.0... Not to be contradictory. However, it also mentions that the unit is discontinued. (?) That fact is enough to discourage a purchase.

OK. So here's another pertinent question: Do I really need an audio interface AND and MIDI->USB cable? Is there any reason why I can't get the best of both worlds by purchasing a "box" that has both XLR / 1/4" and MIDI connections? That way I can monitor the audio directly (i.e. less latency) thru the headphone out on the interface.

Am I correct in this assumption?
                    Tweak's Guide (a huge source I go back to all the time) goes over interface choices and states:

Originally posted by Tweak's Guide
                    There is a huge world of difference between USB 1.1 and 2.0. Never confuse the two; it's night and day difference in terms of performance. Also never assume an interface is USB 2.0 unless it specifically says it is. If it just says "USB", then assume it is 1.1.
                    http://www.tweakheadz.com/soundcards...udio-page2.htm

There are interfaces with on board MIDI out there. The EMU 0404 is one of them.

Originally posted by Soundofmind View Post
                    Is it possible to upgrade a USB 2 to USB 3 connection? Is it the same physical jack?

Am I now totally hosed because my brand new macbook has USB 2.0?
                    I upgraded an old Dell from 1.1 to 2.0 with a simple PCI card. I'm sure they will come out with the same thing for USB 3.0

http://www.maximumpc.com/article/fea...d_cable_photos

Either way, I'm sure USB 2.0 will be fine for most studios. If you need more data though that cable at one time you will move up to firewire. Products like the PreSonus FP10 use this connection.
                    Last edited by weldman; 01-19-09, 07:12 AM.
                    Dave
                    Sonic Orb Studios
                    My Youtube

Comment

Sweet Dave! Now let's see some videos with those new sounds

Gear: TD-12 module, CY-14C crash, Yamaha PCY-135 crash, CY-12R/C crash, CY-15R/C ride, CY-12C & FD-7 hi-hat setup, MDS-12 rack, PD-125 snare, PD-85 rack toms, PD-105 floor tom, Presonus FP10, MacBook Pro 13", Superior Drummer 2.3, Logic 9 Studio, JH Audio JH-5 Pro IEM, Sennheiser HD-280 Pro cans, Gretsch Renown maple acoustic kit (Zildjian cymbals, Remo heads, Gibraltar/DW hardware)

Comment

why have both VST software for drums and a Drum Module?

Why are so many people(musicians,technicians) getting plugins and running them on a laptop (yes they have better drums sounds) and still utilitzing a drum module? You don't need both! Is it because like me, people bought a Roland drum module and decided the VST products sound much better, so they purchase the VST product, get a laptop and use the expensive Roland Drum module as a trigger I/O device.
                        :eek: DrumKat 3.8, Roland TD-8, Hat-Kat, Fat-Kat, TrapKat XL, Muse Receptor, BFD1.5, Jazz & Funk pack, Percussion pack

Comment

Originally posted by jazztoad View Post
                          Why are so many people(musicians,technicians) getting plugins and running them on a laptop (yes they have better drums sounds) and still utilitzing a drum module? You don't need both! Is it because like me, people bought a Roland drum module and decided the VST products sound much better, so they purchase the VST product, get a laptop and use the expensive Roland Drum module as a trigger I/O device.
                          I'm actually finding that I'm using both SD2 and module sounds together in the same mix now, especially since getting the TDW20 for my TD20.

IMHO, the hats in the TDW20 are MUCH better than the SD2 hats in sound quality. The SD2 hats are it's biggest weakness to me. They tend to sound quite lo-fi compared to the TDW20 hats.

SD2 shines in other area's for the work I do, especially the SD2 rides. They are just gorgeous and kill the TDW20 rides.

I have found that mixing the toms and snares from both SD2 and module sounds in the same mix really fattens things up a lot.

I used this method recently in one of my songs called 'Circus Freak'.
                          The drum mix is -
                          Hihat - TDW20
                          Ride - SD2 (comes in during guitar solo at 3:27)
                          Kick, snare, toms, crashes - blend of TDW20 and SD2

CLICK HERE to listen.

Comment

Originally posted by bakerboy View Post
                            Sweet Dave! Now let's see some videos with those new sounds
                            I will be going video crazy with some demos after I get used to the new software and learn to get some outstanding sounds out of it.

Originally posted by jazztoad View Post
                            The reason I still have a v-drum module is because that is what I had from the start and so why sell it and buy something else?

The software also sounds much better than any of the modules IMO but the modules really shine in terms of "feel"...they just seem to trigger a little faster and track easier as you hit the pads. I'm sure some of the higher end TD modules have some great sounds too but the TD6V didn't impress me all that much...
                            Last edited by weldman; 01-19-09, 11:02 AM.
                            Dave
                            Sonic Orb Studios
                            My Youtube

Comment

thanks for the input!
                              :eek: DrumKat 3.8, Roland TD-8, Hat-Kat, Fat-Kat, TrapKat XL, Muse Receptor, BFD1.5, Jazz & Funk pack, Percussion pack

Comment

Working...
                              X