SD2 Velocity and Layers window?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SD2 Velocity and Layers window?

I can play drums, but I'm a big fat software dummy. Can somebody explain the settings in the velocity & layers window to me. The only thing I know for sure is that the layer limit is how many drums/articulations are allowed to ring out before the quietest one is muted. Throw a brother a bone ova here.

Originally posted by SPISHAK View Post
    I can play drums, but I'm a big fat software dummy. Can somebody explain the settings in the velocity & layers window to me. The only thing I know for sure is that the layer limit is how many drums/articulations are allowed to ring out before the quietest one is muted. Throw a brother a bone ova here.
    So, you have 3 things in the Voices & Layers window:

Velocity CTRL - These adjust the velocity curve of S2.0's internal velocities against the actual MIDI velocities coming into the software. So, for example, if you think that your SOFT velocities are too strong when you play, you can increase the soft velocity control in S2.0. Similarly, you can adjust the hard velocities. It is sort of like "Velocity Curve" in your module, but more specific and granular. The LIMIT control, when lowered, will actually trim out any velocity hits above that setting, so setting it at 120, S2.0 will simply not play the sound associated with 121 or greater, no matter what MIDI data you send it.

Layer Limits - This determines how many sounds are actually loaded into memory for each instrument, grouped by 3 velocity splits (soft - gradient - hard). For example, if you set it to 1 - 1 -1, there would only be 1 sound for soft, 1 for gradient and 1 for hard hits. There would be no round robin of samples, and you'd definitely hear machine gunning. As you adjust them, you can watch the memory utilization in the left hand window. A lot of times, I'll just set these to 99 - 99 - 99 to start, which is not efficient, but maxes them out (there aren't actually 99 sounds in each zone). I'll start lowering them only if I have a memory resource shortage.

Voice Limit - As you observed, this is the number of overlapping samples for the instrument that are allowed to completely ring out. Lowering this will help the audio play without pops (it helps CPU).

Note also that all of the settings in the Voices & Layers window are adjustable on an articulation basis, so check "Edit Articulation Only" if you only want to adjust these for a particular articulation.

| Argos | Your Cloud | Lost In Germany | Life Wasted | Identity Crisis
    | The Xerophyte | Red Barchetta | Subdivisions or Drums Only |

Superior Drummer w/ Metal Foundry, dfhS samples and Platinum Samples Evil Drums.

Comment

Once again Joe comes through! Thanks, bro, you are the man. I was THOROUGHLY expecting a UTFSE response from one of the search Nazis. ch ch checkit

Comment

I'm going to have to sneak in here and give you a huge "THANKS!!" as well. Excellent information and I can't wait to try this out as I was pretty clueless about it too.

Comment

Working...
        X